News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Larcen26

Larcen26 Profile Photo
Member Name: Larcen26
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC  Jun 29 2023, 03:26:53 PM

darquegk said: "The Rent movie may not be as good as the show, but I’ll die on the hill that the soundtrack is a better album than the OBC; the expanded orchestrations plus better studio rock musicians is part of the reason. I hope they use some of the charts from the film for this."

Plus, you can't discount Rosario Dawson has a far better voice than Daphne Rubin-Vega.

I used to skip "Out Tonight" on the OBC, but always listen to it on the

DARLING GRENADINE previews  Feb 20 2020, 03:54:40 PM
But I have to ask...

Fully understanding that it would be a spoiler...

Does the dog die?

BEETLEJUICE Previews  Apr 8 2019, 11:10:07 AM

CATSNYrevival said: "I don’t mind “Say My Name” but I can’t get into “Dead Mom.” I don’t even recall Lydia talking much about her mom in the movie but it’s been a while."

SPOILERS BELOW

And we have hit what I feel is the biggest problem narratively with the entire show.  In the film it is implied that Lydia's mother has been dead for a long time.  Lydia is a teenager who is ultimately just &quo

BEETLEJUICE Previews  Apr 1 2019, 11:41:05 AM

Saw it in DC...

Anybody who saw both willing to put a deep dive spoilerific rundown of the changes?

Still sounds like they haven't fixed the narrative problems, but wondering what they tried.

(I see there's a Miss Argentina song, and they got rid of the lovely (but totally out of narrative place) in Act 2, but I'm really curious about how they essentially handled the last 20 minutes once they are past the underworld stuff)

New GUYS AND DOLLS movie...  Mar 26 2019, 05:16:04 PM

Someone in a Tree2 said: "^ Yep, Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon Levitt were supposed to headline the remake Danny Strong was working on."

I would not be mad at that cast.  They would likely do it justice.  And I could see Lady Gaga doing really well with Adelaide.  Anna Kendrick or Anne Hathaway would probably end up with Sarah.

They'd go with Titus Burgess maybe for Nicely...Joel Grey for Arvide?

Documentary Now's  Mar 1 2019, 05:29:10 PM

I thought it was a little too "on the nose"...

Sondheim corrected diction, so Mulaney corrected diction...

The names were too close, etc...

I think Richard Kind was hilarious and an excellent homage to the original while still being it's own thing.

And the single best thing was that they announced they were closing, but they never did anything with it really...

It would have been so great if that had been peppered through the whole thing, and m

Film Actors Who Are  Feb 27 2019, 05:16:47 PM

I would dare say that Zachary Levi is better as Georg Nowack than he is as any film or TV character thusfar.

(Though Shazam looks to really fit into his skill set.)

Changes to Beetlejuice?  Feb 11 2019, 02:00:56 PM

darquegk said: "I was comparing it more to something like Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, another show that has had limited regional success due to the intricacies of its physical production."

That's a misconception about Scoundrels.  I was in a community theater production of DRS in a 99 seat theater with a very basic set and a small chorus...

This isn't me singing, but it's from the production: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - Great Big Stuff

Changes to Beetlejuice?  Feb 7 2019, 05:33:44 PM

Christoph said: "Good to hear as they really needed to make some changes to the show from the DC run. Brightman, however, is not one of the changes needed. Leslie Kritzer and the actress playing Lydia also need to be kept in place. The show never seems to know what to do with the Adam and Barbara characters and both Butler and McClure seemed utterly wasted in excess baggage/nothing roles. Plus Beetlejuice's reason for being makes no sense in the context of the play. Act II is all

BEETLEJUICE - Pre-Broadway Tryout in DC  Nov 17 2018, 08:14:42 PM

Quick Review:

Overall a very entertaining production...glad I went, but it definitely has problems.

Music is fine but ultimately forgettable, Day O is fun, but Shake Shake Senora could not be more of an afterthought.

Act 1 is pretty solid, Act 2 is kinda a mess and removes nearly all of the positive narratives that were established in Act 1.  The emotional center of the show switches at the act break from The Maitlands over to Lydia and her father, which isn't a

Unpopular Opinions  Nov 5 2018, 03:22:44 PM

Musicalj367 said: "I strongly dislike Daphne Rubin-Vega's voice and I find that she ruins soundtracks."

I frequently listen to the Movie soundtrack of Rent purely because I like Rosario Dawson's voice exponentially more than Daphne Rubin-Vega's.

Unpopular Opinions  Nov 5 2018, 03:17:14 PM

Evan Hansen is a horrible person unworthy of pity and makes the entire musical feel icky.

Sweet Charity is the biggest disparity between an amazing score and train-wreck of a book.

Albee plays are over-rated.

Casting classic musicals with Muppets!  Dec 7 2017, 02:52:54 PM

Did these in college: (Apologies for the bold type, tried to make a bulleted list)

Les Mup - "It's time for revolution, it's time to make things right, it's time to kill the leaders on the Muppet Show tonight!"

• Valjean - Rowlf ValRowlf
  • Javert - Sam the Eagle
  • Marius - Kermit
  • Cosette - Piggy
  • Eponine - Janice
  • Fantine - Patti LuPone (There's always one human)
  • Thenardier - Stat
Best Amateur Production You've Ever Seen  Aug 29 2017, 02:21:11 PM

Reston Community Theater in VA did a production earlier this year of Rock of Ages that was flawless.

Bandstand--poor name & marketing?  Aug 29 2017, 02:19:11 PM

I don't live in NY, so I can't speak to Marketing, but I agree that the name wasn't great.  I thought honestly that Bandstand's performance at the Tony's was the best one of all of them and thought it would have been buoyed a bit from that.

Having seen it this weekend, and really really enjoying it, I was struck that it was two shows that were competing with each other...

One was a happy "let's put on a show" piece, and the other was an exa

Musicals Most People Like, But You Don't  Nov 11 2016, 05:15:40 PM

Sweet Charity.

Amazing score, but the actual show is a flaming train wreck.

Mystery of Edwin Drood  May 3 2016, 04:56:46 PM

ghostlight2 said: "You'd think that, but there was a thread here (which I can't find) protesting the fact that non-Asians played Helena and Neville."

This was my concern.  I was hoping there might be a little throw away line in there setting up that it was part of the "joke".

I could see doing it the way I mentioned, in having them be British but raised "On the continent" like in The Secret Garden or any other colonial English

Mystery of Edwin Drood  May 3 2016, 02:42:31 PM

newintown said: "It's the same situation as the Russian, French, Dutch, British, and American ambassadors in "Please Hello" in Pacific Overtures - the clear conceit of the show is that these are Japanese actors portraying westerners. To be politically correct, would you insist upon casting those roles with actors with ethnic background that matches the characters, or the characters playing the characters?"

I would argue that this

Mystery of Edwin Drood  May 3 2016, 12:04:46 PM

So I guess my question is, is this one of those situations where in the current political climate, it would be taboo to not cast an actor of the "proper" race in that role?

Even if it might be historically accurate for the music hall?

Mystery of Edwin Drood  May 3 2016, 11:51:04 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a question about The Mystery of Edwin Drood.  Having never seen it performed, I have a question about Neville and Helena Landless.  While the characters in the book are from Ceylon, it is never established that they are actually Ceylonese or if they are just British colonials.  I know that in the revival, Andy Karl and Jessie Mueller played it with accents and makeup, and pictures of the original lead me to believe they did the same.

My ques

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You