pixeltracker

Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC

Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#1Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/25/23 at 4:44am

Couldn't find a thread about this. While I'm a little meh about 'Rent' as a show, an orchestral version does sound intriguing. Will anyone here be going? It's running 26-28 July.

https://www.kennedy-center.org/nso/home/2022-2023/nso-pops-rent/

[Edit: hyperlink adjusted]

Updated On: 6/27/23 at 04:44 AM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#2Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/25/23 at 10:50am

The Rent movie may not be as good as the show, but I’ll die on the hill that the soundtrack is a better album than the OBC; the expanded orchestrations plus better studio rock musicians is part of the reason. I hope they use some of the charts from the film for this.

TapDanceGal
#3Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/27/23 at 2:09pm

Casting so far 

Ali Stroker, Maureen

Jimmie Herrod, Angel

Myles Frost, Benny

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#4Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/29/23 at 6:24am

Okay, I wish I could see Ali Stroker in this!

More casting:

Alex Boniello - Roger

Andrew Barth Feldman - Mark

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#5Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/29/23 at 8:27am

They should do a live audio recording, this will be a very well-sung production 

Larcen26 Profile Photo
Larcen26
#6Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/29/23 at 3:26pm

darquegk said: "The Rent movie may not be as good as the show, but I’ll die on the hill that the soundtrack is a better album than the OBC; the expanded orchestrations plus better studio rock musicians is part of the reason. I hope they use some of the charts from the film for this."

Plus, you can't discount Rosario Dawson has a far better voice than Daphne Rubin-Vega.

I used to skip "Out Tonight" on the OBC, but always listen to it on the Soundtrack.

Baritone in search of a role in a new musical...

TapDanceGal
#7Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/29/23 at 3:34pm

More casting

Lorna Courtney is Mimi 

Updated On: 6/29/23 at 03:34 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#8Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/29/23 at 4:00pm

Larcen26 said: "darquegk said: "The Rent movie may not be as good as the show, but I’ll die on the hill that the soundtrack is a better album than the OBC; the expanded orchestrations plus better studio rock musicians is part of the reason. I hope they use some of the charts from the film for this."

Plus, you can't discount Rosario Dawson has a far better voice than Daphne Rubin-Vega.

I used to skip "Out Tonight" on the OBC, but always listen to it on the Soundtrack.
"

It’s the drums that really make it.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#9Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/29/23 at 4:04pm

Nothing will ever beat the cast of Rent: Live on Broadway or the recording of that, but this cast is insane. Love. 

DooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
#10Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/29/23 at 4:06pm

Fan123 said: "Okay, I wish I could see Ali Stroker in this!

More casting:

Alex Boniello - Roger

Andrew Barth Feldman - Mark
"

Ha, I music directed Alex in Rent at his college, but he was Mark. Good for him!

PipingHotPiccolo
#11Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/29/23 at 10:14pm

Some of this casting is inspired but im kinda surprised that off his Tony winning role, Myles Frost is playing.... the underwritten villain with one song? 

Ke3
#12Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/30/23 at 12:38pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Some of this casting is inspired but im kinda surprised that off his Tony winning role, Myles Frost is playing.... the underwritten villain with one song?"

It's one weekend

MNNiceorIce Profile Photo
MNNiceorIce
#13Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/30/23 at 2:58pm

Larcen26 said: "Plus, you can't discount Rosario Dawson has a far better voice than Daphne Rubin-Vega."

I mean, honestly, how dare you.  

I recently watched a video of the OBC and was amazed at how many vocal shenanigans have been added over the years, mucking up what was a perfectly written vocal score.  No one beats DR-V for a full-force live experience of Mimi.  

PipingHotPiccolo
#14Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/30/23 at 3:52pm

Ke3 said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "Some of this casting is inspired but im kinda surprised that off his Tony winning role, Myles Frost is playing.... the underwritten villain with one song?"

It's one weekend
"

i dont see how this speaks to my point... kudos to him for doing it, but doesnt make it any less bizarre. You couldnt pay me to see MJ but his insane talent is evident and will be totally wasted here. Just surprising.

DooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
#15Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 6/30/23 at 4:05pm

Also, the website says they're performing the complete score, but the runtime is only 1 hour 43 minutes with intermission. That can't be right, can't it?

Luis Palomares
#16Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 7/1/23 at 12:05pm

Sister George
Updated On: 7/1/23 at 12:05 PM

TapDanceGal
#17Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 7/12/23 at 4:19pm

More Casting News-

Jordan Donica is Collins
Awa Sal Secka is Joanne 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#18Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 7/27/23 at 9:44am

Did anyone go to this? Reddit is saying there were major tech issues

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#19Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 7/27/23 at 10:10am

I was there last night.  Sat in the first tier.  The sound was terrible.  Lyrics were unintelligible a lot of the evening.  Lorna Courtney and Ali Stroker were the highlights.  It started off good, but as the evening went on, it felt very under-rehearsed.  Terrance Johnson was very good as Collins considering he was a last-minute fill-in for the injured Jordan Donica.  He recently performed that role at Paper Mill.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Ricey2
#20Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 7/27/23 at 10:27am

I was also there, middle of the orchestra. The sound was very terrible throughout the show. Mic drops were present the whole night. I don’t think I got to hear Miles Frost once the entire performance. The orchestra was very stunning though. 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#21Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 7/27/23 at 10:57am

DottieD'Luscia said: "I was there last night. Sat in the first tier. The sound was terrible. Lyrics were unintelligible a lot of the evening. Lorna Courtney and Ali Stroker were the highlights. It started off good, but as the evening went on, it felt very under-rehearsed. Terrance Johnson was very good as Collins considering he was a last-minute fill-in for the injured Jordan Donica. He recently performed that role at Paper Mill."

Poor Jordan Donica, always knocked out due to injury (RIP his Into The Woods run)

I'm wondering if Sammi Cannold is stretched too thin at this point? She's helming both Evita (which wanted to come this season) AND How To Dance in Ohio (coming this season) AND this AND other projects in development? I know professional directors that can't even focus on one project, let alone multiple broadway intended ones

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

binau Profile Photo
binau
#22Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 7/27/23 at 3:46pm

MNNiceorIce said: "Larcen26 said: "Plus, you can't discount Rosario Dawson has a far better voice than Daphne Rubin-Vega."

I mean, honestly, how dare you.

I recently watched a video of the OBC and was amazed at how many vocal shenanigans have been added over the years, mucking up what was a perfectly written vocal score. No one beats DR-V for a full-force live experience of Mimi.
"

I used to think I preferred Rosario Dawson but that was when I really didn't think much about acting or character development lol....Rosario Dawson might have a more pleasant voice, but DR-V (I love the acronym) truly inhabits Mimi - she is a an HIV positive heroin addict and stripper. The way she sings "out tonight" and the rest of the show feels very much inline with a person with these kind of struggles. Rosario Dawson sings "Out Tonight" like she is going to a cute sleepover or cocktail bar with her girlfriends or something and then in bed at 10pm lol, not a raw fierce girl living life almost literally on the edge of death. I almost feel embarrassed listening to the movie soundtrack now.

It also occurred to me that this might have been the first of a very long series of amazing and important leading performances that Michael Greif seems to constantly be able to churn out (e.g. Christine Ebersole in Grey Gardens, Alice Ripley and Marin Mazzie in Next to Normal, Ben Platt in Dear Evan Hansen, Patti/Christine in War Paint, and maybe you can throw in there Kelli in Far From Heaven and Idina Menzel in If/Then......maybe Days of Wine and Roses too but I don't know much about it yet).

All these actors, and Michael Greif knew exactly what they were doing.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/27/23 at 03:46 PM

SisterGeorge
#23Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 7/28/23 at 6:13pm

Voter said: "Did anyone go to this? Reddit is saying there were major tech issues"

The KC should have rented better equipment.

Sister George

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#24Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 7/28/23 at 6:41pm

Daphne is a legend and the definitive Mimi. Period!

jimmycurry01
#25Symphonic version of RENT in concert in Washington DC
Posted: 7/28/23 at 8:56pm

darquegk said: "The Rent movie may not be as good as the show, but I’ll die on the hill that the soundtrack is a better album than the OBC; the expanded orchestrations plus better studio rock musicians is part of the reason. I hope they use some of the charts from the film for this."

The soundtrack is over produced. It is one of if the worst facets of the movie for me. It's too neat, clean, and polished to be Rent. It lacked energy and excitement.