News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for buddy 11432

buddy 11432 Profile Photo
Member Name: buddy 11432
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The king and I previews thread  Mar 15 2015, 05:26:27 PM
I saw the first preview. Many things to like, especially the staging in the first scenes. I was less bothered by Watanabe's diction than others. Kelli O'Hara has time to grow into the role; it's not as natural a fit (to me anyway) as South Pacific and The Light in the Piazza.

The length of the performance bothered me a lot. I undertand it is natural for a first preview. But, it reminded me that there are some weak spots in the story.
When the ballet (The Small House for Uncle Thomas

re: Lansbury Gypsy  Mar 9 2015, 07:22:20 PM
I did not see Lanbury, but did see all the other performers who played Rose on Broadway including Merman. Ethel was a force of nature without Angela's thoughtful approach. But it was a thrill to hear Merman sing those songs, and get every laugh in the comedy bits. I can not imagine Merman agreeing to the extra bows, or anyone having the guts to even ask her.
Anyone having trouble getting Hamilton tickets?  Mar 8 2015, 11:05:56 AM
I had no trouble buying center orchestra seats at 9:15. Took about five minutes.

Perhaps the switch to daylight saving time at 2 AM helped more than I realized.

Dame Angela Lansbury: Merman really couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. But boy, could she sing  Dec 8 2014, 11:01:26 PM
According to the LA Times article, Angela Lansbury did not see Merman in "Gypsy," the only time Merman proved (for two and a half year, including the post-Broadway tour) that she could act.

That's why I suggested that Lansbury read Merman's reviews.

Dame Angela Lansbury: Merman really couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. But boy, could she sing  Dec 8 2014, 08:49:19 PM
I saw Merman twice in "Gypsy," once from the front row. It's true that Merman was a better singer than actress. But, her "Everything's Coming Up Roses" at the end of act one was thrilling. The same for "Rose's Turn." She should have won the Tony Award that year, rather than Mary Martn, whom I also saw in "The Sound of Music."

Someone should remind Lansbury that Merman received excellent reviews for her acting in "Gypsy." Her acting on TV in "Annie Get Yout Gun" in 1967 was pretty bad. S

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/30/14  Dec 1 2014, 06:14:16 PM
Yes, if the percent was so low for "Side Show" Thanksgiving weeekend, it difficult to predict much better for the weeks before Christmas. Sad!
Shows/Events/Occurrences that you were lucky enough to see/have  Dec 1 2014, 03:58:33 PM
August, 1960

Saw Jackie Gleason in "Take Me Along" at a Wedneday matinee
Ethel Merman in "Gypsy" that night
Mary Martin in "The Sound of Music" the next night.

Speaking Voice vs. Singing Voice  Nov 24 2014, 03:22:00 PM
Mary Martin

If you just heard her speaking voice, I doubt that one would guess that she was a major Broadway star in the days before microphones.

Inventing Mary Martin previews  May 4 2014, 01:03:16 PM
"I'm in Love with a Wonderful Guy" from "South Pacific" and "That's Him" from "One Touch of Venus" were songs Martin sang till the very end of her life. Strange that they would be left out. I assume shapes is the fashion segment Martin did for the Ford 50th Anniversary Show in 1953. To be honest, it's difficult for me to get beyond the terrible review "Inventing Mary Martin" received in the Times.

Inventing Mary Martin previews  Apr 21 2014, 03:02:10 PM
And given the people who wrote music and lyrics for Mary, it's unusual for an off-Broadway show to feature so many great songs. Rodgers & Hammerstein, Cole Poter and the folk who wrote the songs for "Peter Pan" may be the best known. But, Kurt Weill and Noel Coward also wrote songs for shows that Martin introduced on Broadway or London. Thanks to the people at the York, who I do not know, for doing this show!
Ethel Merman, Live at the Plaza Hotel, 1979  Apr 19 2014, 03:42:23 PM
I did see Merman in "Gypsy" in 1960. Agree that she still had it 20 years after "Gypsy," especially with "Everythings Coming Up Roses." But you do lose the context of the song. As we know, it's not an uplifting song, rather Mama Rose has shifted her focus to her older daughter as a potential meal ticket. Glad Ethel included "Small World" because her performance in "Gypsy" was not all brass; she had many fine quiet, funny moments as well. Thanks for posting. It brings back great memories. Hard to
Robert Preston  May 9 2012, 05:47:10 PM
I was waiting at the stage door at the Shubert Theater when word come that Mary Martin was visiting backstage at "A Chorus Line."

When Martin walked out the stage door, she tried to sign as many autographs and talk to as many people as possible--something I shall always remember--so I would like further clarification as well.

Nathan Lane in TAKE ME ALONG  Feb 5 2012, 09:42:35 AM
"Take Me Along" was my first Broadway show. Yes, Jackie Gleason won a Best Actor in a Musical for his role. But, his character doesn't have a lot of stage time. The show would have to be revised to give Nathan Lane more to do.
It's the Animal in Ethel Merman  Jan 6 2012, 11:43:28 AM
I agree that Merman is arguable Broadway's greatest musical star, with only Martin as a viable other choice.

I was in high school when Merman toured with "Gypsy" after Broadway in 1961. I was lucky enough to see "Gypsy" in Boston, where the musical set a new financial record at the Colonial.

A year or two later, Merman played a week at a summer theater in the town where I lived doing her night club act. Few people came, except on the weekend. The Town was about 15 miles west o

Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?  Jan 5 2012, 08:46:32 PM
I saw a Wednesday afternoon performance of Hugh Jackman Back on Broadway just before Christmas. He talked too much to the audience, and even his singing and dancing was not as good as expected. Ok, it was well into the run & he was probably tired.

Because it was Wednesday afternoon, middle aged women made up most of the audience. The female Darren Criss fans could not have been more annoying than the female Hugh Jackman fans. They laughed at every joke and applauded very loudly after ev

It's the Animal in Ethel Merman  Jan 5 2012, 08:08:44 PM
At least in your clip and the one before, Merman's hair looks great and she is well dressed, something that was not always true
in many of her other appearances...especially true when she sang a song at a charity benefit.

Merman likely thought she would remain a big star after "Gypsy," but that did not happen.

Kennedy Center's PAL JOEY Cancelled  Jan 5 2012, 07:54:43 PM
I was looking forward to "Pal Joey" more than last summer's "Follies." Would like to know the reason(s).
Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?  Jan 5 2012, 02:02:53 PM
I liked Daniel Radcliffe much more in "Equus" but then I saw "How to Succeed" very early on.
PETER PAN Question RE: Distant Melody  Dec 22 2011, 10:29:10 AM
Agree with JUSTOLDBILL. As anyone who has ever heard "Mysterious Lady," knows, it is obvious the song showcases Mary Martin's ability to sing high notes. Since Martin & her husband picked the song writers, all of Peter's songs take Mary's voice into consideration. The same thing happened with almost of her musicals after becoming a star with "Leave It To Me" in the late 1930s. Of course, Rodger & Hammerstein has a large say in the two musicals Martin did for R&H.
Porgy And Bess 1st Preview  Dec 17 2011, 11:58:24 PM
I saw "Follies" and wish I had saved the money. I feel much more enthusiasm for "Porgy and Bess."
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You