News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for figaroindy

Member Name: figaroindy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Lottery Petty Annoyance
 Feb 21 2018, 04:50:21 PM

barcelona20 said: "I still think it's "wrong" that lottery tickets are so expensive. The lottery tickets were created as an affordable way to see theatre."

Says who?  I imagine they were created to build excitement around shows - I hate to tell you this, but they weren't created to meet your needs.   Lotteries build word of mouth by excited "winners," they fill a few seats that probably (think Hamilton,

National Theatre: Follies image
 Jul 7 2017, 02:17:30 PM

I'd have to disagree - Bernadette's voice sounded like it was going to shatter every time the line went above chest, and she yodeled between registers all the time. Peters didn't have the voice for Follies, and I'm not sure whether Staunton will or not, but it will definitely be less "precious" of a performance, and I'm good with that.

On The Town Closing Night
 Sep 8 2015, 10:57:28 AM

One hopes that "A Director" above was joking!  The piano player WAS Leonard Bernstein himself (as PalJoey is quite aware).  This was from a gala in the late 80s/early 90s, for which Bernstein talked Farrell into coming out of retirement to sing (after her husband had died in 1986).  I imagine she told him she'd only do it if he accompanied her!

Why Hasn't Christiane Noll Done a Million Broadway Shows
 Sep 1 2015, 02:10:54 PM

I imagine it depends upon the concert contract, but 20+ years ago, when I was an intern at a mid-sized symphony orchestra, I remember one soprano soloist (for one weekend) made about $10K, and she wasn't particularly well known, and it was a pretty simple piece she sang on.  So, I'm betting that the concerts STILL pay more than the week on Broadway - and are less exhausting.

How can Leslie Uggums play Mama Rose?
 Jul 28 2015, 11:39:00 AM

Now, to completely blow your mind....Leslie Uggams played Mame at a regional theater in Florida this past winter - wasn't nearly the "drama" that this thread is making out of Mama Rose, and there's a bit more "historical" issue there - white man takes his black fiancée to his Southern plantation in the early 1930s?  Mame faces a family that discriminates against people buying property next to them....and they have no problem with her?

I have no problem with Uggams in ei

Will Kristin Make It Trhough the Run?
 May 19 2015, 10:19:25 AM

Prince had expected Bernadette Peters in the role.

Really?  Then perhaps he should have suggested to the composer to not write any high notes, because Peters NEVER had the notes this role requires.  This role is in no way suited Peters' voice at all - I imagine Prince MAY have considered her for the role, but she couldn't have sung it (as it is written)....period.

Yes, it's a very demanding role, and performing on Broadway is dif

Shopping or Selling on StubHub and Craigslist: Helpful? Ethical?
 Mar 4 2015, 12:42:39 PM
And we are back at the beginning - why do the scalping companies have that "early access?" Oh yeah, because the poor, penniless, theater LETS them have it. And as HogansHero points out, the theater could easily invalidate the tickets after resale, but DOESN'T.

Anyone pretending to be magnanimous and worried about the theater/production not getting benefit is just trying to find a more palatable way to state that they can't compete with deeper pockets.

I like how we ig

Shopping or Selling on StubHub and Craigslist: Helpful? Ethical?
 Mar 3 2015, 03:15:18 PM
I don't think Fisherman Bob said any such thing - and you might want to not jump on that moral high horse.

The theater had the right to set its prices, and one presumes that if all tickets are sold at their agreed-upon prices, they'll make the money they wanted. And, if a fan is willing to spend lots of money for a show they really want to see, it's not classist for them to pay more or for someone to meet their need at a mutually agreed-upon price.

It's common in lots of

At my audition this weekend...
 Jan 28 2014, 01:42:49 PM
And to be fair, it's not your place to berate someone for their actions, or be the "what can be posted police" on Broadway World. I think the person above who said they sensed no ill will is the correct one here.
re: Betsy Palmer
 Aug 31 2012, 02:54:08 PM
Small world, huh?

I grew up in Merrillville, IN...now in Indianapolis.

re: Betsy Palmer
 Aug 31 2012, 02:17:16 PM
MrMidwest - where are you from in the Midwest? Betsy actually grew up in Hammond, IN - where her actual name was Betsy Hrunek. I know this because my grandmother was her nanny. Betsy's mother owned/ran a business college in East Chicago, IN, and my grandmother was a student, and took the job as nanny to make money while going to school. We have a photo somewhere of Betsy and her younger brother on the beach at Lake Michigan. I keep meaning to send it to her. I still laugh because, when Fri
Actors Branching Out From Their Usual Schtick/Genre
 Jul 17 2012, 01:47:25 PM
Just saw Bill Irwin at Broadway Ballyhoo last Thursday, doing his baggy-pants clown routines...certainly a difference from "Woolf!"
Bette Midler in GYPSY
 Jul 17 2012, 09:50:09 AM
While I agree Bette is over the top, she still sings it well. As for why to not use Daly - the opposite is true, she's under pitch in everything she ever did...for long stretches of time...every note longer than a quarter is saggy and flat...Call Me Madam (woof), Gypsy (woof, woof), etc.
The most brilliant moment of 1776...
 Jul 5 2012, 09:29:45 PM
Funny, Best - I auditioned for the show the first time and wanted (and got) Adams. I loved playing the role. Soon after, a summer theater was doing selections for a 4th of July concert in the park. I was hired to do one of the smaller roles (which I wanted to do so I could sing some of the fun harmony stuff in But, Mr. Adams, etc.)...but the guy they were bringing in from NYC to play Adams backed out, and they asked if I'd do it, so I was Adams again. Later, another theater did the show, and
Bernatte Peters lackluster performance.....
 Feb 27 2012, 11:10:39 AM
EponineAmneris uses a good word - "raw" - which is how her voice sounded in the show. Like a fork had been scraped across her vocal cords.
Bernatte Peters lackluster performance.....
 Feb 27 2012, 09:02:39 AM
When I saw it last summer, I thought her acting OK, but definitely agree, vocally, she couldn't handle it. Too much back and forth over her noticeable vocal break. Yodeling on the top, and way too "different" a sound from her lower range.

SHOW BOAT at Lyric Opera Chicago
 Feb 20 2012, 10:34:12 AM
My mistake - I thought I'd seen Met on TKTS when I was in the city, but maybe it was NYCO - I know it was an opera production (seems like it was a Carmen or Traviata, actually).

Show Boat at Lyric Opera Chicago
 Feb 16 2012, 09:24:52 AM
"Villain" was the word used by the journalist - hence why it was quoted as such (I couldn't remember, which is why I put "bad guys" in quotes).

I think it was actually a decision of the director to leave the words in for the guys that were considered "villains" by the production staff, and to take it out in cases where it was not.

I agree, there is a language of the time aspect to consider, but in this case, it was a conscious decision/intention, as well.

Feb 16 2012, 09:21:40 AM
Take a look at all price ranges - some are VERY affordable, and the view from the first balcony is very good - the Civic Opera House has good sightlines.

I know the orchestra seats are very expensive (and they don't go on Hot Tix, Chicago's TKTS, like the Met tickets do in NYC)...but I think 1st balcony ranges from $120ish at the front to only $60ish at the back (and that's not the top balcony, which is probably cheaper). I'm in the middle of the 1st (seats are usually $85ish, but I ha

Feb 15 2012, 09:38:34 AM
Can't remember where I read it, and I don't see the production until 2/28, but I believe they're using "Colored folks work on the Mississippi." I read that only the "bad guys" use the "n-word" and then only in dialogue, not in lyrics. So, I'd say Pete and the sheriff maybe would use it...not sure who else.

Can't wait to see it - I love "Show Boat" and have been waiting all season!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You