News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Streganona

Member Name: Streganona
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas
 Dec 17 2021, 08:18:09 PM

markhenryfrench said: "Wish I could see it in person. Heard it's great. Not sure whether I should watch it on screen, might take away some of its power.
Best,

Mark Schweiz
"

Here's a link to NYT article+photos to help you decide; no paywall if you've read less than 10 articles this month.  I think it will be wonderful even streaming and wish that I could figure out how to also rent it as a gift for my neighbor's family.                                                         https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/09/theater/emmet-otter-jug-band.html

Best Musical Soundtracks ?
 Dec 11 2018, 03:36:01 PM

GreeneStreet said: "I would love to make a suggestion but I’m not that familiar with musical soundtracks."

GreeneStreet, I have a suggestion for you.  I read one of your other posts, mentioning Carmen Jones. The soundtrack to the film version has Marilyn Horne (uncredited originally) dubbing Dorothy Dandridge as Carmen, Pearl Bailey, Harry Belefonte. It's quite wonderful.  

Dec 11 2018, 03:26:50 PM

jonah3500 said: "What is a soundtrack?
I've only heard of cast recordings.
"

Oh, I'm sorry that you've never heard of soundtracks.  Good news---there is a wonderful world of movie musicals waiting for you to discover.  I wonder if you are puzzled when you read posts on this board that discuss soundtracks. I'm so happy to tell you that just as you can purchase an OBC/revival recording, there are recordings of the film cast as well. 

Dec 11 2018, 03:06:38 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "This is a theater message board. We only discuss cast recordings on here.

Films have soundtracks so maybe you can address this question on the Off-Topic section.
"

Of course we do discuss soundtracks of musicals on this board---Mary Poppins Returns is being discussed right now.   Film versions of Broadway musicals like Into the Woods, Les Mis,  Chicago, Cabaret etc. release soundtracks that are often d

Who sings the best Soliloquy?
 Aug 21 2018, 08:26:39 AM

Gaveston, thank you for referencing Sammy Davis Jr.'s "Soliloquy."  It's one of my favorite versions, a heartfelt  example of "acting through song."  No trace of Rat Pack mannerisms here.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-N0QbkdCU

Bernadette Peters and Rodgers and Hammerstein
 Apr 26 2018, 06:57:55 PM

Here's a link to a beautiful interpretation by Bernadette Peters of What's the Use of Wonderin' on Youtube (from a tribute concert to R&H).  Also found on her album titled "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight."   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XsLakCAw6w   

CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
 Mar 7 2018, 08:21:37 PM

JHughesPSPB said: "Saw the show on Monday night. Now I desperately want to refresh my memory of the amazing 1994 production. Has anyone found any great clips of the Lincoln Center production?"

Yes, but several of the clips below are of the original London production and I'm not sure if there were any changes in set/design when it transferred to Lincoln Center.   (There was at least one significant casting change and I so I had my first Audra MacDonald experience.)  As a teenaged girl, I was blown away by the Lincoln Center Carousel and Michael Hayden rang my chimes so loudly that I almost didn't notice that he couldn't sing.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUVqEwsXnZ0  0pening sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUVqEwsXnZ0   Louise's ballet  (Spoiler:  I have always been disturbed by the seduction and abandonment of Louise by the Roustabout, who resembles her father.  Sir Kenneth MacMillan's choreography is very beautiful and passionate but there are hints of violence in this interpretation.  I've watched at least half a dozen versions of the ballet and I've never been as fearful for the 15 year old Louise.  Or as concerned that the ballet foreshadows her future relationships....which makes the scene between Louise and her mother even more problematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUVqEwsXnZ0    Porch scene (Thanks to the poster who has already  provided this link.  Joanna Riding had left before I saw the LC production.  I don't think that I've ever seen as convincing an older Julie.  I hope that Jessie Mueller is as heartbreaking  in the current production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVdI_9qTAuo  Michael Hayden and Sally Murphy, definitely from Lincoln Center, a portion If I Loved You.   SM was my Julie and I have no memory of her performance.   I think that Laura Osnes (if she could travel back in time to the  nineties) and Michael Hayden (singing aside) might have had more chemistry.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/17/theater/review-theater-london-makes-a-revelation-of-carousel.html?pagewanted=all  Frank Rich review of the original RNT production  http://www.nytimes.com/1994/03/25/theater/review-theater-a-carousel-for-the-90-s-full-of-grit-and-passion.html?pagewanted=all  D Richards (not familiar with him) review in NYT when it opened at LC 

CAROUSEL (2018) Previews
 Mar 7 2018, 05:54:51 PM

BCTaylor99 said: "It's too bad that the 2015 Lyric Opera Chicago production of Carousel didn't move to NY. It was stunning and Laura Osnes and Steven Pasquale were perfection and had plenty of chemistry. A missed opportunity.

Here's the Chicago Tribune review:http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/reviews/ct-carousel-lyric-opera-chicago-20150412-column.html

I think of that production of Carousel as the one that got away and have wondered why it didn't come to Broadway.  A live performance was broadcast on radio and the audio sounded wonderful.  Here are two brief  teasers: climax of Steven Pasquale's Soliloquy (which  seems staged in a way that was perhaps too distant from the audience) and the Lyric's TV commercial.   I'm rooting for the success of this current production and have been a fan of Joshua Henry's since The Scottsboro Boys and Lindsay Mendez since I saw Dogfight off Broadway.  (I was surprised by the casting of Jessie Mueller as Julie.)  But oh, I wish that I had been able to get to Chicago for Laura Osnes and Steven Pasquale as Julie and Billy.
/www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_jh2_9CFk&index=2&list=RDNeKGTlF4sOA   Soliloquy highlight  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeKGTlF4sOA  Lyric production flashes of the production

"

CHESS at the Kennedy Center
 Feb 11 2018, 04:12:34 PM

Unexpectedly visiting DC and could only find partial view Orchestra seat, F-13, one seat from the wall on the left side.  Looking forward to hearing this amazing cast in live performance and hoping that I'll be able to actually see them as well.  I know that visibility will depend on the actual concert staging, but I'm wondering how large a slice of the stage is cut off.  Thanks.  

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
 Aug 11 2017, 10:58:10 PM

Bear 88, thank you for your thoughtful comments.  Although I better understand the purpose of the opera scene now, while I was sitting in the mezzanine (I've never sat on stage), it only distracted me from the intensity of Natasha's being hit by a thunderbolt when she first sees Anatole.  And certainly as played by Lucas Steele, Anatole is hot enough to cause Natasha to lose her bearings---even in a drawing room.  I remain puzzled by the time given to Andrei's famil

The Front Page or DEH?
 Nov 18 2016, 12:20:34 AM

I'm so glad that you are planning to see DEH.  My niece just turned 16 and she and her mother saw it together.  They both loved it and my niece can't wait to go back again, with her best friends.  Perhaps if you show your mother the Youtube video of Ben Platt singing "Waving," and she reads the NYT review, she will better understand why DEH is the perfect choice for you.  If it's possible for your mother to get a ticket too (even if it's too late

The King and I or Fun Home?
 Jun 8 2015, 01:05:38 PM

Having seen both shows, if I had to choose only one....I would go with King and I.  The CD recording of Fun Home gives snippets of dialogue as well and captures the feel and emotional power of the show.  I thought the staging was brilliant but my friends who have only heard the CD were still greatly impressed.  King and I is visually sumptuous.  Not only the stunning opening boat scene but gorgeous costumes, choreography and creative staging of the ballet "Little House of

Tony nom for Ken Yes or No
 May 17 2015, 01:29:58 PM

"I definitely believe his nom is deserved, his portrayal was strong, charismatic and believable.  That being said, his diction and accent kept the performance from being outstanding enough to win.  And no, I am not a lazy listener.  I went into the theater knowing this was an issue with many posters so I specifically tried to be more attentive to his words but to no avail.  "

You make a good point.  Also, there must b

Tony nom for Ken Yes or No
 May 17 2015, 12:43:26 PM

"I suspect that second to Brynner, it'll be Watanabe's King that generates the most attention and discussion in the future, not Lou Diamond Phillips's. It'll be a wildly divisive place in theatre history, but how the feeling will tip may depend on how the cast recording turns out."

I'm afraid that what I love most about his performance won't be captured on the cast recording.  Singing is definitely not his strength in the role of the kin

FREE James and the Giant Peach Cast Album Download!
 Apr 21 2015, 12:41:23 PM

Just listened to this and it's first rate.  Great cast, lyrics and music capture the fantasy, humor  and heart of Dahl's original.   I don't understand why we are being given this gift today but it's really quite wonderful.  Not childish or sugary but funny and touching.  I hope we get the chance to see it performed in NY as well as regional productions. 

Straightest Musicals
 Apr 14 2015, 07:35:47 PM

OK Phylly, let's try again.   This is a sincere question, and I do sympathize with your desire to find a musical to please this "manly man."  Maybe he's a new friend, maybe a relative from out of town, maybe he's a fellow student......all we know is that he's "manly" and you're just not sure what to recommend (or tickets to buy).  It's possible that you want to turn him on to the joys of musical comedy.....maybe you just want to make a good impression. Alas, there just isn

Straightest Musicals
 Apr 14 2015, 03:53:21 PM

Phylly, your question would be less offensive if you put quotes around "manly men" to suggest a tongue-in-cheek reference to reluctant theater goers (my father, for example) who liked the following because they weren't "sissy musicals":   

Sugar Babies (He liked Micky Rooney and the strippers; didn't realize that Ann Miller was an icon, not just "a broad who still danced pretty good considering")

Gypsy (he thought Mama Rose had "some balls" + strippers aga

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
 Apr 13 2015, 06:19:05 PM

"This is one instance in which I was anticipating a review from Queen Ben ... Was trying to get my friend to see this with me but of course she won't... 
Clumsy: What makes 'An American in Paris' better than 'On the Town'? Besides Robert Fairchild's looks? "

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS Reviews
 Apr 13 2015, 03:01:19 PM

Both AIP and OTT are well worth seeing but it's AIP that has lingered in my mind and the production I wish I could see again.  Tony Yazbeck in OTT actually has the brash athleticism of Gene Kelly in the film version and Megan Fairchild is a charming Ivy and of course a wonderful ballet dancer.  Lots of exuberance and the quiet songs (Lonely Town, Some Other Time) are heart felt and lovely.  But I would still urge you to see AIP if you can only see one.  Even if it goes on

The King and I
 Apr 5 2015, 09:04:42 PM

Thank you for taking time to reply in such detail.  My maternal grandmother was extremely pregnant with my mother but  refused to  give up her "hot ticket" to the original Gertrude Lawrence production and (according to family legend) went into labor immediately after the last curtain call.  It's my mother's favorite R&H musical and while she loved Donna Murphy as Anna in the last revival, she felt that Lou Diamond Phillips lacked gravitas.  This is my first time p

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You