pixeltracker

Bernadette Peters and Rodgers and Hammerstein

Bernadette Peters and Rodgers and Hammerstein

codywlong2
#1Bernadette Peters and Rodgers and Hammerstein
Posted: 4/26/18 at 6:08pm

I just discovered 2002's "Bernadette Peters Loves Rodgers and Hammerstein".  Her "There Is Nothing Like a Dame" is a particularly good arrangement. 

Other than TV's "Cinderella", in which she was fantastic, I can't find any record of her performing in a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. She's done Berlin, Sondheim, and now Herman, but no R&H. I can't find a history of her off-Broadway, tour or regional work (if there is any). 

It got me thinking...was the album a form of audition? What revivals came up or were rumored? Even if there weren't, what parts would have been right for her? What parts could she step into now?

Patti's expressed regret that she didn't play Nellie Forbush on Broadway (but did earlier in her career), and she's also never starred in an R&H musical on Broadway. Is it that they're aren't roles for the brassy, sassy broads in R&H's works?

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#2Bernadette Peters and Rodgers and Hammerstein
Posted: 4/26/18 at 6:11pm

Back in the her twenties and early thirties, Bernadette would have made a great Carrie.

Streganona
#3Bernadette Peters and Rodgers and Hammerstein
Posted: 4/26/18 at 6:57pm

Here's a link to a beautiful interpretation by Bernadette Peters of What's the Use of Wonderin' on Youtube (from a tribute concert to R&H).  Also found on her album titled "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight."   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XsLakCAw6w   

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#4Bernadette Peters and Rodgers and Hammerstein
Posted: 4/26/18 at 7:23pm

Patti as Nellie Forbush would have been interesting to see just for the accent and her playing earnest.

Videos