News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jenhum

Member Name: jenhum
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

FAIRYCAKES Off-Broadway - Previews  Oct 22 2021, 12:52:31 PM

My 13 year old and I saw this on Sunday night, and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The book is nothing remarkable, but it was funny and engaging thanks to the outstanding cast. We did review the plot of Midsummer's Night Dream before we went, and I'm glad we did because I think it may have been a bit confusing to my daughter otherwise. I agree that it seemed a bit tight for the space, between the large costumes and set pieces, there was a lot of stepping over things and steppi

Broadway and the Coronavirus  Mar 7 2020, 10:04:16 PM

I might have to cancel my trip in two weeks. I'm not prone to overreaction, but I have cystic fibrosis and my lungs are in bad enough shape that I'm not sure it's worth the risk. Really I'm more concerned about the plane ride and being in the airport. Hopefully I'll be able to get refunds or reschedule the shows I already have tickets for .

seeing a few shows in March  Feb 25 2020, 10:09:10 PM

Michelle chouraqui said: "My 11 year old LOVED Beetlejuice. She liked it much more than Frozen. She also loved Mean Girls and Hadestown. I went to JLP without her, and was happy I did. The subject-matter was way too mature. On deck for us is Six, Moulin Rouge, and Mrs.Doubtfire Have fun!!"

Thanks, it always helps to hear from another tween parent! I'm guessing she will probably love any of the shows you mentioned. I wanted to make sure none of them were being com

seeing a few shows in March  Feb 24 2020, 09:57:14 PM

Broadway Buddy said: "At her age I wouldn’t do Beetlejuice. It’s a fun show but it definitely has its raunchy bits. I’d go with Doubtfire. It should be great and at her age I bet it could be super enjoyable."

Oh ok- the show faqs say appropriate for 10 and up, so I didn't think it'd be an issue! I'm pretty liberal with what I let her watch (most sexual innuendos go right over her head), but maybe I'll wait and see what people are say

seeing a few shows in March  Feb 24 2020, 08:38:29 PM

My daughter (11) and I are coming up in late March and we weren't going to make it a theater trip, but now that it's getting closer I'm realizing that I absolutely want it to be a theater trip (at least a little bit!). I want her to experience an off Broadway show, so I think we're going to see She Persisted, The Musical at the Atlantic Theater.

Other than that, I definitely want to see Jagged Little Pill (just me, I think she's too young for thi

THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG National Tour  Sep 24 2018, 11:53:04 AM

VotePeron said: "jenhum said: "I'm planning on taking my 10 year old next week, should I reconsider? It's being billed as a family show here. She's seen a lot of theater and I thought it sounded like something she'd really enjoy."

Take your daughter! I believe the poster was referring to the fact that the show isn't madeforkids, and is very much comedy that can be enjoyed by adults. It is British, but I think the slapstick na

THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG National Tour  Sep 24 2018, 10:14:45 AM

dmwnc1959 said: "I’ve never laughed, giggled, and snickered so much for an entire show since “The Book of Mormon”. And I thought I’d never be one for this style of slap-stick comedy, but I really enjoyedthis show. From the pre-show entertainment on stage before the lights went down,to the antics in the lobby at intermission, start to finish this one was a winner in my books.

To elaborate on the stage setting, the main curtain was lowered into a posi

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Seating/Pricing Thread  Aug 14 2018, 10:07:05 AM

Thought I'd share our seating experience. We had row A (second row), seats 1 and 3. I thought they were fantastic seats and would absolutely sit there again. I am the type of person who likes to sit close though. I am short (5'2" and saw the show with my 10 year old daughter, and neither of us used a booster and we could both see the back of the stage alright. There was one thing in someone's office (#keepthesecrets) at the back of the stage that we had a little trouble seeing, but we just sat up really straight for a few seconds and it was fine. I will say if I had pick of any seat up close, I'd go with row B on the aisle, because there is absolutely no one in front of that aisle seat.

We are huge Potter fans and basically thought the show was the greatest thing we've ever seen, haha. I wasn't a fan of the script and have now (mostly) forgiven it because of the performance. I would say this is a must see for HP fans and I'd imagine that it's probably pretty enjoyable for non fans as well. 

Cursed Child covers/understudies  Aug 14 2018, 09:59:49 AM

sorano916 said: "jenhum said: "Lauren2 said: "Does anyone know if Anthony is back and on tonight?"

Not sure about tonight, but I saw the show on 8/8 (Wed) and he was in!
"

Katie was on as McGonagall, right? How was she?
"

Yes! IMO, she was fine. Her accent was a bit off sometimes, other times it was fine. Is the actress who usually plays McGonagall much older? I found it a bit disconcerting that the actor who

Cursed Child covers/understudies  Aug 11 2018, 11:15:38 PM

Lauren2 said: "Does anyone know if Anthony is back and on tonight?"

Not sure about tonight, but I saw the show on 8/8 (Wed) and he was in! 

Cursed Child covers/understudies  Aug 5 2018, 01:15:48 PM

PThespian (or anyone else), do you happen to know if anyone is out this week? My daughter and I are coming this Wednesday (8/8). I was really hoping to see Anthony, but honestly I'm so excited to see the show I'll be thrilled no matter who does it! 

Is anyone wearing House Robes to Cursed Child  Mar 26 2018, 05:02:21 PM

I'm 35 and will happily be wearing my Hufflepuff robe when I go. And I'm sure my 10 year old will be in her Ravenclaw robe as well. I guess I didn't really think of wearing robes as cosplay since I'll be wearing normal, dressy clothes underneath (as opposed to a Hogwarts uniform type of outfit). Either way, I'm a huge Potter fan and I promise my daughter and I will both be some of the best behaved audience members there, so I don't care too much if someone doesn&#

Preparing for Harry Potter  Feb 23 2018, 03:50:29 PM

Thank you for the advice about Puffs!

To the OP, as a big Potter fan, I think you'd enjoy the movies and play a lot more if you read the books first. But some of them are long, and if you're a busy person that could be overwhelming in the amount of time you have.  My suggestion if you're short on time would be to watch movies 1-3, then read Goblet of Fire. Then watch movies 4-8. And I have read the script, but if I could turn back time (haha), I wouldn't.

Preparing for Harry Potter  Feb 22 2018, 06:25:05 PM

macnyc said: "I'm so glad to see this thread. I was just wondering the same thing! I'm going with my daughter, a Potter fanatic, and our tickets are for August. So I will read all the books, including the first three that I read when they came out (and don't remember).

Also, I wanted to add, for you Potter fans, you might enjoy Puffs at New World Stages. I saw that with my daughter last month and I knew going in that I probably wouldn't get it. That turned

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Seating/Pricing Thread  Feb 18 2018, 04:13:02 PM

WWYD? (I'm obsessing over this WAY too much, but it's just so much $$)

4/4 Dress Circle Left row D 2-4 (on inner aisle)

4/25 Orch Q 22-24 (I think this is about 6 seats in from the outer aisle)

Flights and hotel prices are similar. Kid would have to miss school for the 4/25 show, but she goes to an arts school so I can get it excused. 4/4 is during previews, 4/25 is the first show after opening night. I am short (5'2" and kid is 9, so my

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Seating/Pricing Thread  Feb 14 2018, 04:52:03 PM

I just got 2 tickets for 4/4. They are the premium seats, Dress Circle R row D, seats 2-4 (I think that's on the inside aisle). I am so excited- we are huuuuuuge Potter fans, so I've been saving up for this, although I'm still experiencing some serious sticker shock. I'm really excited to be going so soon though, and it's during my daughter's spring break so she won't have to miss school. 

I really prefer orchestra seats, but haven't seen any o

Dear Evan Hansen seating options  Jan 15 2017, 07:23:28 PM

I saw it on Friday and I was row C, all the way on the end. It was definitely partial view, and I missed out on most of the effect of the social media screens, but honestly it didn't bother me much. 95% of the action takes place downstage, so there were very few moments that I couldn't see someone. I can't imagine loving the show more than I did, even with a better seat. 

Musicbox Theatre Stagedoor Tips?! Dear Evan Hansen  Jan 15 2017, 04:19:46 PM

I was there on Friday night and it seemed like a lot of people that weren't at the Friday show were lined up. I sat in an outer aisle seat in the orchestra near the exit doors, so I was one of the first few people out of the theater, and there were no more spots against the barricade. I ended up on the 2nd row, but it was fine. Everyone except Ben Platt came out, fairly quickly, and they were all very lovely and friendly. It was chilly, so no one was doing pictures, just signatu

Dear Evan Hansen Standing Room  Jan 13 2017, 06:48:59 PM

defygravity2 said: "Jenhum...try the cancellation line! We had a similar experience, and 6:20ish am was not early enough last Friday morning. We did get a few tickets, so some of our group got to see the show (they sold 12 SRO tickets that day). The night we went, the guy at the front of the line got there at 7:00pm for an 8:00 show (I would suggest getting there earlier). Tickets will be pricier, but if you are desperate to see the show, there is hope. Ask the box office about

Dear Evan Hansen Standing Room  Jan 13 2017, 03:52:18 PM

Just wanted to share my experience from this morning. I got to the theater at 7:45, and was the 10th person in line. I figured I probably didn't have a shot, but stuck it out just in case. Once the box office opened, there were only 8 standing room tickets available for tonight's performance. There was a guy that got there at 6:30 that didn't get one.

I'm sure it depends on the day, but if you want to have a good chance at getting a spot, I'd be there at 6

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You