News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for pippy1

Member Name: pippy1
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Lindsay Mendez in Merrily We Roll Along  Dec 3 2023, 09:42:47 PM

getatme said: "Lindsay's absences are not related to American Sports Story. They go back into production in January, but she has been sick and recovering. She is back but will likely not be doing matinees on two-show-days for a little bit."

Saw the show today. Lindsay was out. I was disappointed, but will always give any understudy or swing as much appreciation as the star. Not an easy job to fill the shoes of someone else. She did a a good job and the show itsel

Twizzlers and M & Ms-why dear god?  May 29 2023, 04:51:57 PM

I’ll see your Twizzlers and M&Ms and raise you…..yesterday at Sweeney Todd, we had a couple in front of us who kissed every five seconds and another person who was eating some sort of candy, and thus rustling the package continuously. Finally at intermission, we said to the couple, Glad you are so in love, but you realize every time you kiss, you block our view. As my daughter said, who knew Sweeney Todd was such a turn on. 

Walking Out at Intermission - The Thread  May 15 2023, 02:00:26 PM

Lumiere2 said: "I've never done it on Broadway, but the closest I've come was 2017's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, still by far the worst production I've ever seen. The songs were awful, the supporting was awful, and the fact they changed the story so most of the children were killed on stage (including watching a young character get dismembered limb from limb by giant dancing squirrels?!) was appalling. At the end I wish I'd left earlier.

WGA strike impact on the 2023 Tonys  May 2 2023, 09:02:56 AM

jkcohen626 said: "I really don't know the intricacies of this, so please please please correct me if there's anything I say here that's egregiously wrong, but I have a hard time seeing this get in their way. I think they go full steam ahead and just steamroll over or work around the limitations.

I can't remember the specific bits she did, but Ariana's opener was not specific to the nominated shows at all. I think if they have any brains, they already ha

What to see week of May 1st  May 1 2023, 12:34:21 PM

Ensemble1682852684 said: "I saw SLEEP NO MORE and DOLL’S HOUSE this weekend. I am seeing FAT HAM and GREY HOUSE this week. I have time for two more shows on this trip before I leave on Saturday 5/6.

Recommendations?
"

Just saw Life of Pi yesterday. For staging and acting alone, go see it. The lead is phenomenal - as was the entire cast and, especially, the puppeteers. There were a few moments where I thought the show dragged (but no one else in my par

SHUCKED On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread  Apr 19 2023, 09:40:13 AM

pippy1 said: "RememberAChorusLine said: "Whew. I caught the show just in time to see Alex’s evening performance before calling out sick. Independently Owned is the best song by far (as pointed out). I noticed more gravel/scratch in Alex’s voice than in the official video on YouTube but still a showstopper.

The rest of the show is entertaining but didn’t blow me away. Silly & fluffy. The performances were good and I found the score to be sweet

SHUCKED On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread  Apr 17 2023, 09:31:36 PM

RememberAChorusLine said: "Whew. I caught the show just in time to see Alex’s evening performance before calling out sick. Independently Owned is the best song by far (as pointed out). I noticed more gravel/scratch in Alex’s voice than in the official video on YouTube but still a showstopper.

The rest of the show is entertaining but didn’t blow me away. Silly & fluffy. The performances were good and I found the score to be sweet (especially Somebody W

SUMMER, 1976 Previews  Apr 10 2023, 09:19:24 AM

I had the pleasure of seeing this yesterday. I truly enjoyed it. The acting was fabulous. I don’t know if Ms. Linney and Ms. Hecht are friends in real life, but they have a true connection on stage that was believable, poignant and real. It is 100% worth seeing this play.

The one small aside I will be interested in seeing as more people see the show is whether you have to have been through a similar friendship to feel the depths of their narrative. This is not to say others can&r

Ben Platt and Micaela Diamond to star in NYCC Gala presentation of Parade  Nov 6 2022, 08:18:44 PM

dramamama611 said: "Saturday matinee, front balcony, very close to center.

I liked this. Quite a bit, but did not love - which surprised me.

Things I loved: Micaela Diamond - can't wait to see her future, Alex Joseph Grayson , the basic story, the score

Things I didnt: the staging (such a waste of space beyond the center piece), the ensemble vocals, the sound work - many mics were brought up late and vocals sounded very muddy to me, the pacing of

AUGUST WILSON'S THE PIANO LESSON Reviews  Oct 31 2022, 07:24:15 AM

JBroadway said: "I spoke positively about the show when I saw it in early-ish previews. I wrote a posted saying it fell "just under" my high expectations, and saying that John David Washington had the MAKINGS of a powerhouse performance, but needed to time to find more variation in the performance.

I have to confess I've cooled on the production a little bit, in the last month or so. And I'm disappointed to read from these reviews that the production'

LEOPOLDSTADT Reviews  Oct 24 2022, 10:41:38 AM

Auggie27 said: "I saw it Saturday afternoon and agree with the recent raves. I found it shattering, ultimately, though I was fully engaged from the start. The last and fifth act, as it's been designated in structural discussions, in no way disappointed me. If anything, it was the the moment the grand design revealed its purpose. No more spoilers. What's notable, and I'm hardly the first to say so, this play is in many ways a small canvas masterwork. Rather than create a 2

LEOPOLDSTADT Reviews  Oct 23 2022, 09:26:40 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "LEOPOLDSTADT is the type of play where I wish every NYC high school student could see it. PIANO LESSON and TOPDOG, too. Too often with dramatic works on stage, kids are exposed to bad productions that drive home the false belief that "plays are boring." They need to be exposed to breathless theatre like this."

I said to someone in my party today, I wish they could perform this at MSG like they did with TKAMB. That was an incre

LEOPOLDSTADT Reviews  Oct 23 2022, 08:50:51 PM

I, too, saw it today and almost four hours later I am still heartbroken by this masterpiece. I thought it was some of the best theater I have seen lately. 

I do agree, at least partly, with one minor point that was mentioned previously - I didn’t want the last moment to be cut, when the whole family returns, but.I also think at least part of the last scene could have been cut. I don’t want to give away the ending to those who have not seen it, but I believe it could ha

What is the lowlight of your theatre going experiences?  Sep 17 2022, 04:43:32 PM

bwayphreak234 said: "Oh now this is fun! Off the top of my head, the lowlights of my theatre going have been...

- Summer - The Donna Summer Musical

- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

- The Lightening Thief

While I try so hard to find something redeeming about every show, I will agree with you on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Christian Borle was great (as usual), as was the rest of the cast, the show was painful. And to this

INTO THE WOODS Reviews  Jul 24 2022, 09:02:16 PM

Today was my first time seeing it, so I can’t say how Gavin is (although assume fantastic), but Cheyenne was great. Funny, amazing voice, just so good. I really thought everyone was perfection, including Sara’s U/S. While I can’t know for sure, I wonder if their interpretation would be different, and I loved Mary Kate Moore.

INTO THE WOODS Reviews  Jul 24 2022, 06:05:31 PM

Just left the theater. The entire show was perfection. Cheyenne was fabulous! 

COVID performance cancellation  Jul 22 2022, 10:03:39 AM

In addition, while masks or no masks in the audience may not be the absolute direct reason company members are getting sick, the missing piece, in my opinion, is that any time there are a large number of people inside for a prolonged period of time maskless - like, say, a Broadway show - the virus is bound to spread, which will, in turn, create more of surge within the community at large, thus affecting everyone, including Broadway actors. Part of wearing a mask in such circumstances is to he

Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)  Jul 14 2022, 10:39:41 AM

She was never set up for success in this show because she is just not right for the part. Not every actor is right for every part, and I think the takeaway here is that just because something is your dream role doesn't necessarily mean you are RIGHT for it... Unfortunately, in this case, no one told Beanie that and the situation got out of hand.

This is the truth. I am close to a working actor and she has told me that it is up to her to be honest with herself and when

Theatre with a 7 year old  Jul 12 2022, 01:26:32 PM

Nomusicalsforme said: "Looking for suggestions to take a 7 year old. Think Harry Potter will be too long. Beetlejuice is recommending 10 and up. Hoping for something besides Aladdin or Lion King.

While I get you are hoping for something other than Aladdin or Lion King, I am thinking the 7 year old would love either one of those. I get it if you have seen them already yourself, but those are the most age appropriate - although you know the 7 year old best. I wa

Paradise Square-Tech Stop  Jul 8 2022, 09:42:35 AM

At a performance of Beetlejuice, pre-Pandemic, they had to stop the show when Beetjuice (I am blanking who was performing that day because it wasn't Alex Brightman) got stuck halfway up on the wall in the back of the living room. He was supposed to come down to the floor and didn't. At first we didn't understand there was an issue, but then the actor began laughing, moving his arms and legs up and down and the rest of the cast broke character. It was about 15 minutes or so, but th

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You