News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MadViolist

MadViolist Profile Photo
Member Name: MadViolist
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jan 14 2021, 03:08:52 PM

itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "

I thought this was one of the best things I've seen during the shutdown. They really used the medium in an interesting way. I'm pretty confident Days of Wine and Roses will not be on Broadway next season. Both because I've heard absolutely no talk of it happening, but also because Mr. Guettel's politics may now get in the way of his work."

Didn’t Kelli O’Hara and Brian d

Online "Myths and Hymns"
 Jan 13 2021, 07:57:24 AM

"Myths and Hymns" | presented by MasterVoices

The central project of MasterVoices’ 2020-2021 season will be a virtual rollout of award-winning composer Adam Guettel’s theatrical song cycle, Myths and Hymns, in an online staging conceived by Ted Sperling. Inspired by Greek myths and a 19th-Century Presbyterian hymnal, the 1998 cycle is a kaleidoscopic collection of musical genres as it explores the nature of faith and longing in a secular world. New short musical films will illustrate the protagonist’s attempt to seek answers in four ways – through Flight, Work, Love, and Faith. The four chapters of this personal voyage will be released in free digital installments throughout the winter and spring.

---

Don't think I've seen a post about this on here. As great as this is on its own, I think I'm even more excited by the mention of this in Guettel's bio in their playbill: Adam Guettel is a composer/lyricist living in New York City. His upcoming musical, The Days of Wine and Roses, will have its first production on Broadway next season. Another new musical, Millions, is also slated for production soon.

Amelie - Original London Cast Recording
 Jun 6 2020, 04:42:53 PM

VintageSnarker said: "Did you purchase the album? Where did you all find it?"

It's on Spotify. For me, it doesn't show up in the albums but when I searched Audrey Brisson, it showed up in the playlists.

Amelie - Original London Cast Recording
 Jun 6 2020, 07:54:18 AM

London cast recording is released now (just listened to it on Spotify) and it's absolutely brilliant. The orchestrations and overall quirkiness of this album is exactly what the Broadway version missed - and I'm saying that as someone who really enjoyed the Broadway production and listens to the OBCR often. Audrey Brisson is great.

Lost in Time: A New Musical
 Dec 13 2019, 02:05:31 PM

Hey y'all, I wrote a musical that's just received its first semi-staged reading at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland where I'm currently finishing my undergrad. I've spent only a few months writing this so it's still very much the first stage of developing it. In the past, I received a lot of very useful feedback here so if anyone wants to listen to some bits from it, I'd be happy to hear from you what you think about it!

LOST IN TIME: A NEW MUSICAL at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

When are we getting the next Guettel show
 Oct 8 2019, 08:47:22 PM

WayTooBroadway said: "“It's been so long since there were any new musically sophisticated shows on Broadway...”

Tell us when.
"

Ok, I admit, not the best expression but you know what I mean.

When are we getting the next Guettel show
 Oct 8 2019, 08:18:10 PM

When are we getting the next Adam Guettel's show?

I'm really happy that Guettel got to do the music for To Kill a Mockingbird, however, it's been so long since his last musical work on Broadway. Does anyone know what's happened to his MILLIONS? His webpage doesn't seem to be updated and you can barely find any info about its past readings/workshops. The songs from the score you can find online or on CDs are pure magic. Here and Here

And does anyone know anything at all about his another project, DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES? On his website, there's a recording of There Go I from it and again, it's stunning. Here

It's been so long since there were any new musically sophisticated shows on Broadway, we need this. This and the new Sondheim show.

Into the Woods - Hollywood Bowl
 Jul 28 2019, 05:56:04 AM

God I wish they recorded it with this cast, everybody sounds amazing in the videos

Lack Of Recognition
 Jul 20 2019, 06:53:37 PM

How is it possible that MDs and conductors of musicals are so often overlooked? Recently, I went to two professional productions and neither of them had an MD's name on the poster (while both the director and the choreographer were there) and one of them didn't even mention him/her in the program at all!!

Why is there no Tony or any other widely recognized award for Music Directors? It's them who sets the tone of the whole production, who often does the hardest musical

Loving the musical while indifferent to the score
 May 10 2019, 07:07:27 PM

Bell0708 said: "Light in the Piazza for me, loved the story, songs were pretty weak."

?!

The Light in the Piazza is anything but weak! I get it might not be your cup of tea but I'd definitely avoid this term ...

More musical roles for Celia Keenan-Bolger
 May 1 2019, 08:16:48 AM
I love all she's been doing in various plays but when are we getting another performance where she will sing? Her Light in the Piazza and Sweeney were both just delightful and it's such a shame she doesn't get more singing roles.
Dolly's Age?
 Apr 10 2019, 05:01:03 PM

TotallyEffed said: "She is Carol Channing years old."

Hahaha, loving this.

Dolly's Age?
 Apr 10 2019, 02:16:45 PM

Having recently seen Hello, Dolly! on stage for the first time, I got really confused. How old is she supposed to be? When I saw the movie, I thought Barbra seemed very age appropriate -.wasn't she in her late twenties/early thirties? Yet the actress I saw in the stage version was obviously much older. I don't mean to be rude, I still very much enjoyed the performance but it sometimes almost felt like a parody.

(Yes, I know, some actors, such as Bernadette, can pull it

A New Mini-Musical
 Feb 24 2019, 03:59:12 PM

Thank you all!

A New Mini-Musical
 Feb 20 2019, 03:39:12 PM

Composer94 said: "Absolutely love the score of this

Is it just me, or does the girl on the right sound like Audra?
"

Thank you so much! Yeah, that's something I've heard from more people, here you can listen to more of her in another song ... she's a great singer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMJQcrfLKKM

A New Mini-Musical
 Feb 17 2019, 10:48:42 PM

I don't post on here very often but during the last two years, I found a lot of encouragement on this website in various threads reacting to new musical theatre writing as well as through some of you who reached out directly to me ... I'd like to share with you my latest work - a mini-musical that received its first public reading last week in form of a concert performance. All performers and musicians are undergrad students at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. Any feedback welcome!

Don't Wait Too Long, Please - A Mini-Musical

Jessica Vosk "Wild and Free"
 Aug 10 2018, 06:06:53 PM

Solo albums of Broadway actors are usually a huge disappointment for me (never got over how bad the song selection is on Sutton Foster's last one). Not this one. Some of the arrangements are a bit unusual but there's not a single song I wouldn't like.

Her voice is amazing, technically secure and versatile in so many styles. Vosk is definitely one of the top young performers currently on Broadway and I'm very much looking forward to her new roles after Elphaba.

Recommend a sophisticated composer/works, please
 Jul 12 2018, 03:05:21 PM

Hello,

could you please recommend good contemporary composers with sophisticated works such as Jeanine Tesori, Adam Guettel, or Ricky Ian Gordon? For example, Audra McDonald's album Way Back To Paradise is my favourite even after years of listening to it - I think the material on it is absolutely amazing. It can be both musicals or stand-alone songs / song cycles ... I'm interested especially in those less known.

Thanks!

Composer In Need Of Feedback
 Jun 23 2018, 02:55:16 PM

Hey! This is a bit of stretch ... but are there any people here who are interested in new musical theatre writing and would be so kind to provide me with honest feedback to my recently written score? I'm looking for people interested in more legit-ish style and jazz! Thanks

Hello Again Movie Musical Filming
 Feb 27 2018, 03:40:58 PM

Am I the only one who loved this movie? I have never seen this musical on stage but I'm a big fan of the original cast recording.

Of course there were few things that could be better or simply different, for example I didn't like very much the work with camera. Also, I think they used too much of auto-tune in general (not talking about Audra's scene obviously, there it was absolutely hilarious).

BUT

I enjoyed the mood of the movie, you can litera

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You