News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for henrike

henrike Profile Photo
Member Name: henrike
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

PRELUDE TO A KISS musical  Apr 20 2024, 04:22:36 AM

Oh boy. This season (23-24), I've seen quite a bit of duds. Redwoods at La Jolla wasn't that good. Hunter Thompson was bad. Many of the new shows I saw last month on Broadway weren't that good. I had a bad feeling when they initially postponed the production due to it requiring more work. But I'm afraid to say that Prelude to a Kiss is not salvageable.

I saw it this week, and I can confidently say that this is the worst musical I have seen in the past few years of avid

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews  Apr 5 2024, 11:58:54 PM

I caught the show tonight, and overall, it's solid. But given that Cabaret is produced everywhere (colleges, community, regional), it's been explored to death. And this production wasn't revelatory for someone who has seen multiple productions of it.

One thing must be said: Ato Blankson-Wood gives the most amateur acting I've seen in a principal role on Broadway.

His book scenes with Sally in act 2 were just truly awful. Basically ruined the emotional imp

UNCLE VANYA Previews  Apr 3 2024, 11:44:51 PM

Just got out of the show. I was initially worried as they had canceled the original first preview performance, but the technical elements and the actor memorization weren't an issue. That being said, I'm not sure how this will be received. Personally, I found it to be absolutely tedious to sit through.

If you thought Camelot at the Beaumont was boring, I suggest taking melatonin before Uncle Vanya so that you will at least get a good sleep while the actors

Merrily We Roll Along Extension?  Nov 17 2023, 11:29:35 PM

I'm guessing their plan is to give a false sense of urgency in buying those high-priced tickets by keeping the March "closing date" for now. Once it gets closer to the original closing date, they'll probably announce the sale of an extension.

If they announce an extension too early, the sales would probably stagnate as buyers think they have much longer timeline to see the show. Similar tactic to Funny Girl - when they announced the closing date 6 months away, it prob

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!  Jun 13 2023, 08:20:20 PM

Anna Zavelson sounds quite wonderful.  A little hesitant on Ruthie Ann Miles though. Her voice is beautiful and warm, but I've always found it somewhat lacking in power. Not sure if she'll deliver Fable the way Victoria Clark did.

SWEENEY TODD (2023) Reviews  Apr 23 2023, 01:00:24 AM

I thought the choreography was terrible as well. Then I saw that he choreographed Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, so it made sense.

I was anticipating the opening Ballad to be scary and thrilling. Once the ensemble started with the arm movements, it completely took me out of it. Truly some stupid, bizarre, half-baked interpretive movements that doesn't belong in this production.

PRIMA FACIE Previews  Apr 12 2023, 06:59:43 PM

Wick3 said: "I think Jodie Comer will at least be nominated for best leading Actress in a Play. I'm predicting others nominated in her category will be Jessica Chastain (Doll's House), Rachel Brosnahan (Sign in Sidney Brustein's Window), and Audra McDonald (Ohio State Murders)."

I have no doubt Jodie will be nominated. I think there will be a group of people who are completely enthralled by what Jodie does on stage and will vote for her.

If

PRIMA FACIE Previews  Apr 12 2023, 02:28:02 AM

I thought it was a solid show. Many of the London reviews gave it 4 out of 5, and I'd agree.

Essentially, it's 2 hours of Jodie Comer reciting everything at high speed. Physically acting out as her character is reciting what has happened. (Think Shakespeare... where acting occurs on the line) Just the feat of her memorizing everything is impressive.

Having said that, I'm not sure if I was truly captivated by Jodie's performance. Sure, a one-man/woman play by defa

Ahmanson's Broadway-Bound(?) THE SECRET GARDEN announces further casting  Feb 20 2023, 06:13:12 PM

Someone in a Tree2 said: "But whose idea was it to stick a dancer in a Cholera costume and have her claim the lives of Mary’s family not just once but twice in case we didn’t get it the first time?"

Totally agree with your sentiment. It also made me think of The Book of Mormon when the Ugandans are enacting "**** go down the stomach, **** come out the butt" with the red fabric.

Ahmanson's Broadway-Bound(?) THE SECRET GARDEN announces further casting  Feb 20 2023, 03:22:34 AM

I had the opportunity to catch this tonight.To keep it simple, I can say that it's not gonna be a hit.

Despite it being a first preview, the performance was quite polished, however.

I'm only casually familiar with The Secret Garden and I absolutely adore many of the gorgeous songs by Lucy Simon. I purchased tickets wanting to hear Sierra Boggess' Lily and it didn't disappoint. The biggest applause of the evening from the audience, however, was "Lily&

DANCIN' To Receive First Broadway Revival  Apr 26 2022, 05:18:00 AM

I saw the Sunday performance and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I will preface by stating that I'm not familiar with the original Dancin or Fosse aside from their Tony telecasts. 

Based on the song list, it does seem to have a lot in common with the original Broadway production in the late 70s. It starts with Crunchy Granola Suite - and the cast is incredible! It moves to Mr. Bojangles, Percussion (parts 1-4, including ionization), and Big Noise from Winnetka (with trippy proje

Allegiance Previews  Oct 7 2015, 04:45:21 PM

Long time lurker finally joined to make a post.

Some posters have made a comment about the direction and yes, it's quite baffling how Arima keeps getting work with his perfunctory direction. It's quite presentational and pedestrian. I've seen more innovative, engaging works by community theatre directors. This show is essentially a family drama, but Arima's directorial style simply doesn't flesh out the family ties between the performers.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You