News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Hest88

Hest88 Profile Photo
Member Name: Hest88
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread  Mar 14 2020, 01:12:13 PM
Ha! Thanks for the levity everyone. We had tickets for Friday night, and I'm thinking this thread may have been more entertaining!
Tickets Refunds  Mar 17 2020, 01:03:30 PM

I received my Signature Theater refund for Cambodian Rock Band on March 14. Telecharge refunded Flying Over Sunset on March 16.

Flying Over Sunset  Feb 5 2020, 04:45:15 PM

I'm Asian-American and I know what Cary Grant looked like. Casting, say, an Asian-American as Cary Grant wouldn't seem radical to me. It would seem like pandering. I don't need to be pandered to, and I'd really rather not picture producers patting themselves on the back by pretending they did something radical by deliberately casting against type.

There are plenty of Broadway parts where casting a white or not white actor wouldn't matter, but a 20th century mat

Theatre: Entertainment or Education?  Feb 5 2020, 04:03:59 PM

Books: Entertainment or Education? Discuss.

Doc Now CO-OP cast album to be released 7/26; song now available  Jul 20 2019, 11:26:02 AM

Oh gosh, finally! 

John Cameron Mitchell ORIGIN OF LOVE Tour  Jun 28 2019, 11:36:12 AM

CharinMain, it looks like it's coming to Berkeley in 2020. 

https://calperformances.org/performances/2019-20/theater/john-cameron-mitchell-the-origin-of-love-tour.php

Documentary Now's "Original Cast Album: CO-OP" Episode  Feb 28 2019, 12:47:06 AM
It was delightful. My husband has already said he wants to watch it enough times to have the songs memorized.
Documentary Now: Original Cast Album - CO-OP  Feb 16 2019, 09:09:25 PM
I'm so in love with that album cover!
"'FOSSE/VERDON' COMING TO FX"  Feb 13 2019, 01:14:17 PM

Thanks. I'm actually relieve to hear this angle. It circumvents the issues of so many biopics that try to cram too many events into the time it takes for a movie/TV show.

What Movies Do You WANT To Be Made Into Musicals?  Jan 23 2019, 01:44:23 PM

haterobics said: "BwayGeek2 said: "I would actually love to see Pride and Prejudice as a musical!"

The movie was also successfully adapted into a book, too.
"

LOLOL!

Sunday In The Park With George @ SF Playhouse  Aug 18 2018, 10:17:28 PM

Wayman_Wong said: "I saw the original ''Sunday in the Park With George'' on Broadway many, many times, starring Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters, and their PBS filming and 1994 reunion concert. Plus, the meh Menier Chocolate Factory version and 2017's radiant revival, starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Annaleigh Ashford. I know the show so well, frankly, I was tempted to skip the S.F. Playhouse production, but I'm glad I didn't. I doubt anyone will ever trul

Sunday In The Park With George @ SF Playhouse  Aug 18 2018, 11:19:56 AM

Thanks for the reviews. I might give it a chance then. They did a terrible casting job with "Into the Woods" and then after I saw their "Promises, Promises" I vowed I'd never see another musical there again. Since "Sunday" is my favorite musical I've been torn between wanting to see it and worried they'd botch it.

Ultimate J.C. Superstar Recording  Jul 14 2018, 08:43:59 PM

Oooo, thanks! You guys have been talking about it for so many years, but I've never heard it!

'The Wedding Singer'  Jul 3 2018, 12:34:12 PM

I never saw it on stage, either, but it's definitely my guilty pleasure cast album. The songs are infectious, clever, and original. They especially stand out compared to many of the current lighter Broadway shows, where the music all sounds derivative. 

Angels in America - 2nd part only?  Jun 14 2018, 07:06:06 PM

I can't imagine seeing Part 2 without first seeing Part 1. They're not stand-alone stories.

Straight men playing gay men  Jun 7 2018, 12:57:22 AM

SonofRobbieJ said: "It stuns me that people on this board don't understand why it would be important for gay actors to play gay roles."

I'm not gay, but I suspect I'm older than many of you, and like SonofRobbieJ I'm floored that there seems to be such blithe disregard of the historical precedents that would make the idea of casting non-gay actors in gay roles problematic. Even though there have been great inroads, the subtext that it's okay

HAIR LIVE! To Air On NBC Spring 2019  May 25 2018, 07:39:18 PM

I was also baffled when I heard the news. It can be done without the nudity, but they'd have to cut both "Sodomy" and "Colored Spade" methinks.

Question for those who have seen a production of Caroline, or Change  Mar 29 2018, 12:49:19 AM

When I saw it in San Francisco, it definitely did not come across as funny to the audience.

RISE  Mar 15 2018, 09:23:41 PM

Thanks for linking to the EW recap. That was hilarious.

RISE  Mar 14 2018, 11:09:39 AM

It's a shame. The actual events are so interesting. I wish they hadn't succumbed to usual impulse to stuff shows with the usual stock characters and simplistic conflicts. Is it too much to ask to have a story that's closer to the complexity of real life?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You