News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for HometownGlory

HometownGlory Profile Photo
Member Name: HometownGlory
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Apple Music vs Spotify for Broadway
 Dec 10 2020, 10:02:03 PM

I noticed that Spotify's Throwback Thursday playlist this week is "showtunes" themed (I'm not saying Broadway because some of the songs are from soundtracks...) and they also have some new playlists up in their Broadway section that have some lesser seen songs. The biggest playlists are still Wicked, Phantom etc centric - nothing wrong with that but it's nice to see stuff from Titanic, Irene, Side Show, Hallelujah Baby and so forth on official Spotify playlists. I hope t

Dear Evan Hansen Standing Room
 Jun 11 2017, 12:29:35 PM

FYI that Ben Platt is out today (Sunday) according to the Music Box staff. I tried the line in the hopes that it would be shorter because of people already expecting him to be out, but they came out at 11:50 and said he wouldn't be performing.

What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
 Dec 8 2013, 01:38:01 PM
This would be the time to cash in on Ariana Grande's rising fame and Broadway background. What would be a big name show that people would tune in for? West Side Story?
Carrie Underwood to Star in NBC's Live Broadcast of THE SOUND OF MUSIC
 Nov 30 2012, 04:00:59 PM
I live for when projects like this get announced and everyone gets so excited casting their favorite Broadway ensemble member as the lead, and then being shocked - SHOCKED - when a star is cast.

I can see this going either way. She could sink, she could swim, I don't know. She is very talented, and this has certainly gotten me interested.

(I'll admit, though, I sorta thought they'd get Katharine McPhee because of the Smash tie-in. Wrong Idol contestant.)

DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart
 Nov 14 2012, 08:52:56 PM
Went to the matinee today knowing nothing about the show, I had purposefully avoided all spoilers.

Datchery: Bazzard (dead even with Helena - a man in the front row was asked to be the deciding vote)
Murderer: Rosa Bud
Lovers: Helena Landless and the Deputy

Had a great time. Betsy Wolfe's confession was wonderful (she beat Jasper by only seven votes) and Jessie Mueller was hilarious with the Deputy.

Congrats, Laura Osnes!
 May 1 2012, 03:42:54 PM
I remember seeing her on the subway, too - the Q, of course. I didn't even realize it was her at first, I just noticed the most beautiful woman a few yards away and thought she looked like a real-life Belle from the animated Beauty and the Beast. She is luminous in person and was talking to two guys about an audition she'd just had. It wasn't long after that that she was announced in South Pacific.

I didn't get to see B&C, but I loved her in Anything Goes and am so excited for her. She

ANYTHING GOES cast recording released on iTunes
 Aug 23 2011, 12:54:15 AM
For anyone who wants a link to click, here you go.
Name the 1st Broadway show you saw -- on Broadway
 May 27 2011, 08:43:26 PM
Hal Prince's Show Boat revival at the Gershwin, in 1995. A wonderful, wonderful memory, even though at my young age most of the content sailed straight over my head.
Final TONY Decisions Revealed on PRISCILLA, MORMON, WONDERLAND, SISTER ACT & More
 Apr 29 2011, 02:15:59 PM
Oh, I thought they were both above the title. My mistake. I missed the paragraph about Miller, so I got confused.
Final TONY Decisions Revealed on PRISCILLA, MORMON, WONDERLAND, SISTER ACT & More
 Apr 29 2011, 02:13:37 PM
Wait...does this mean Victoria Clark is in Leading Actress? Interesting.
Your 1st Broadway show
 Jul 26 2010, 12:17:05 PM
The Hal Prince revival of Show Boat, at the Gershwin...I was 6 or 7 at the time, and I had no idea what was going on, but I was riveted nonetheless. My family was visiting from the Midwest and we had no idea what stagedooring even was, and purely by accident we saw Rebecca Luker and Elaine Stritch walking away from the theater together. We struck up a conversation and they couldn't have been more gracious. It was such a memorable night.
'Bring It On' to premiere in Atlanta Early 2011
 Feb 15 2010, 12:52:10 PM
It wasn't a criticism at all :) If I hadn't read that article previously, I would not have known it was there...it took a lot of searching to find it!
'Bring It On' to premiere in Atlanta Early 2011
 Feb 15 2010, 12:23:38 PM
gyspy4 posted the casting notice. I've linked the actual article.

It is a rather random creative team, and I'm disappointed the plot is new...I was hoping for a song about "cheerocracies."

re: What's on your best/worst of 2009 list?
 Dec 14 2009, 09:17:48 PM
Best:
After Miss Julie
Blithe Spirit
A Little Night Music
Finian's Rainbow
West Side Story

Worst:
Guys and Dolls
Memphis
White Christmas (great dancing, great songs, so why was I so bored?)

re: A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Reviews....
 Dec 13 2009, 11:03:22 PM
I wish that Ramona Mallory was getting better reviews. I did not find her histrionic. In fact, I thought she exuded a youthful, naive sexuality that made her quite attractive. I understand an opinion's an opinion, but I for one loved her performance, and she has an exquisite voice. (Can't wait to get her recording of "Soon.")

But, as much as I like Leigh Ann Larkin, I'm not surprised to see the negative notices. Whether it was Nunn's direction or her own choice, "Miller's Son" doesn't w

re: Beloved shows that are DEAD (not getting produced)...
 Dec 9 2009, 03:34:19 PM
Lol blaxx. I don't understand why people are mentioning shows from the last few years. These musicals haven't even gotten a chance to BE dead yet.

For example, why on earth would there be a revival of 13 now? Isn't that something that could (but probably won't) happen about 15 years down the road? And Urinetown hasn't been revived yet because it closed in 2004. 99% of shows don't get the Gypsy/La Cage treatment, especially this early in their life.

re: First production shots of NIGHT MUSIC
 Dec 8 2009, 05:43:43 PM
I saw this last Friday night and adored it. Can't wait to go again.
re: MEMPHIS Reviews
 Oct 19 2009, 07:55:20 PM
You're right. I meant it's not adapted from a book or film and is also not a jukebox musical.

re: MEMPHIS Reviews
 Oct 19 2009, 07:49:52 PM
I am amazed that anything positive can be found in these reviews! Maybe it has really improved since early previews when I saw it. I thought it was wretched. Kimball's performance (and accent) was borderline excruciating. The book was cliche and trite, the music wasn't catchy, and the whole show was just painfully...OBVIOUS, for lack of a better word. It was like a bargain-basement version of a Broadway show.

I do like the fact that it is an original musical, but I don't feel obligated

re: Memphis tonight- 10/13/09 (spoilers, I guess)
 Oct 14 2009, 05:12:48 PM
My friend and I have taken to calling the show "May-im-fee-uuuuussssuuuuhhhhhhaaahhhh" (complete with upward inflection) in honor of that, uh, incredible accent happening every night at the Shubert.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You