News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for gilvisto

gilvisto Profile Photo
Member Name: gilvisto
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Cyrano de Bergerac on PBS January 7  Jan 7 2009, 09:08:22 PM
Oh, please do endure the bad parts. It's still Cyrano.
re: Cyrano de Bergerac on PBS January 7  Jan 7 2009, 09:00:59 PM
SPOILER ALERT: (if you can spoil a classic)

I disagree with you. I thought Jennifer's performance was over-the-top to the point of being distracting. I felt the same way about Le Bret, and at certain points Le Guiche. Given that I know Garner and the others can do better, I am guessing that it was the director's choice to intentionally "dumb down" the masterpiece as to make it more accessible to the average theater-goer. While I understand this decision, it saddens me. This particu

re: PBS to air McKellen's LEAR beginning March 25  Jan 3 2009, 11:45:23 AM
*mental image of Sir McKellen dancing around in his birthday suit singing "Everything's Coming Up Roses"... or maybe he's just dancing to Ethel's version... lol.
re: CYRANO on Great Performances  Jan 3 2009, 11:43:34 AM
Hey there ya'll. I have had my copy on pre-order on Amazon since it was posted, but I had to change my address (back to school time) and I noticed the item description page

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HB1JZQ

doesn't list Garner or Kline... anyone know why?

re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold  Jan 3 2009, 11:32:09 AM
Color: yes, indeed it is. Glad to see someone get it, ha ha.

I doubt either of these are terribly unpopular, but I have huge celebrity crushes on Bernadette Peters and Julie Andrews... I just need to find their younger reincarnations, lol.

re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold  Jan 3 2009, 11:10:04 AM
I detest Spring Awakening.

re: PBS to air McKellen's LEAR beginning March 25  Jan 3 2009, 01:57:38 AM
Just because you don't want to see someone nude does not make you a bad fan...
re: CYRANO on Great Performances  Nov 26 2008, 11:26:12 AM
I'm going nuts here looking for a broadcast date... anyone have any leads?
re: CYRANO on Great Performances  Nov 26 2008, 10:31:05 AM
Thank you guys so much for posting! Cyrano has been my favorite play since I was "forced" to read it for English my sophomore year of high school. I was very disappointed I couldn't see it in NY, but this makes it all better!
re: Betty Boop Musical Aims for Broadway in 2010  Nov 6 2008, 04:40:23 PM
Another 'save the theater' plot... with a cartoon.

Well, we'll have to wait and see, I suppose. But it's off to a bad start.

re: Non-Realistic Plays (Not Musicals)  Nov 5 2008, 10:43:20 PM
The Glass Menagerie.
re: Broadway Song That Best Describes You  Nov 3 2008, 10:11:57 AM
Our Time from Merrily We Roll Along.
re: What are the leads making?  Oct 27 2008, 04:51:28 PM
I think she meant crews always make less, even in theater. No one would argue movies make less.
re: In one week Legally Blonde will be a 'peice' of Broadway history...  Oct 13 2008, 11:12:24 AM
When you say history, the test that comes to mind is "Will it be revived and accepted again." (I'm thinking of the New York City Center Encore! performances and the like). With that said:

Asides from the Tonys, I don't think SA will be remembered. I've always thought it was a gimmicky show, and now that we've all oogled the trick, it's not likely to work anywhere close to as well again.

Legally Blonde... heck no. Heck no heck no.

Even as much as I love In the Heights,

re: What should I take my parents to?  Oct 13 2008, 11:02:38 AM
If you're just looking for a good time, I would vote for Boeing. I absolutely loved it. As long as they've got Mark, you don't need to worry about the cast.
I haven't seen August, though, so I realize I am not the wisest one to answer...

re: longest time in one show?  Sep 26 2008, 12:20:28 PM
8000? Holy smokes!
I was just going to mention that Donny Osmand did Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for what I seem to remember being close to 3000...
I personally think I would kill myself after that many times of any show... Which is why I have such great respect for the brilliant men and women on the Broadway stage.

re: Audrey Hepburn sings 'I Could Have Danced All Night' on Youtube  Aug 21 2008, 11:31:30 AM
Thanks for that! Yeah... I still think the greatest crime of the century was Julie Andrew's getting swapped for Audrey, who is quite lovely, don't get me wrong... but I love Julie Andrews...
re: Riedel: 'SHREK' IMPRESSES PREVIEW CROWDS  Aug 21 2008, 11:27:40 AM
hahahahahaahha. I'm with you, BorstalBoy. Every time I read about the show, Monty Python is the first thing to pop into my head.

" Jeanine Tesori's intelligent music rewards attentive listening, though my spies lament the absence of "I'm a Believer," the Neil Diamond standard used so effectively in the movie. "

I'm a Believer? Neil Diamond? Am I the only one who remembers The Monkees? (at least he didn't say Smash Mouth)... or did Neil write the song?

re: Fringe Festival buzz?  Aug 15 2008, 11:49:53 AM
Anyone see Time et al? I really wanted to, but couldn't make it to the city that week...
re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works  Aug 10 2008, 11:15:14 PM
I'm sorry, but am I the only one who sees this as a bad idea? I love August as much as anyone, Letts is brilliant and deserved that Pulitzer, but really... I just don't see it translating well onscreen. How do you advertise it? Imagine the movie voiceover guy:

"Every family has a secret..."
*flashes of Barb tackling her mother, cut to the almost-molestation scene*
"This one has several"
*cut to the dinner scene: "I am addicted to drugs. Especially downers"*
"August: Osag

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You