pixeltracker

Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works

Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works

Yankeefan007
#1Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:26pm

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/120145.html

Fingers crossed for Grace Zabriskie and Meryl Streep as Vi and Barb.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:26pm

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#3re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:33pm

CROSSES FINGERS FOR DAKOTA FANNING

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#4re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:37pm

Fingers crossed for Grace Zabriskie and Meryl Streep as Vi and Barb

Yes, Please!

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#5re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:40pm

Oh now come on! Doesn't AUGUST just scream "Make me a movie! Make me a movie!"

I'm excited.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

Wanna Be A Foster
#6re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:41pm

People, Meryl Streep is too old.

Just because a Hollywood actress can afford to have multiple plastic surgeries doesn't mean she's not still 60.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#7re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:44pm

Wait what role do people want tpo see Meryl as? Vi or Barb?

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:46pm

I can see Laura Linney as Barbara and Sissy Spacek as Violet.

-Kad

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#9re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:51pm

Judy Davis has to be Vi. I will accept nobody else. She is born to play that role!

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#10re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:55pm

I'm on the Sissy Spacek team.

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#11re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 10:57pm

Just because Meryl is indeed 60, it does not diminish the fact that she can look much younger (despite any surgery she may or may not have gotten)... I think she could make it reasonably believable. However I love your suggestions as well Wannabe!
Updated On: 8/5/08 at 10:57 PM

Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 11:01pm

Critics have ragged on Meryl for being too old to play Donna in MAMMA MIA, a character whose daughter is getting married.

Barbara has a 14 year old daughter. It just won't work. She needs to start playing roles her own age. It's not like she's some unknown actress and people don't know her real age.

-Kad

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#13re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 11:05pm

What are the chances of Deanna being brought on for the movie?

Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 11:10pm

The most realistic possibility, and I doubt this would even happen, would be Oscar winner Estelle Parsons playing Violet in the movie.

If they want the film to make money -- which of course they do (what other reason would there be for making it into a film?) -- then they'll cast recognizable names with Hollywood credit.

-Kad

A Grey Spring Profile Photo
A Grey Spring
#15re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/5/08 at 11:12pm

I would love if they casted the original inhabiters of the roles, but there is no shot in hell that will happen.

Anyway, I would love to see Sissy Spacek and Laura Linney as Violet & Barbara.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#16re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/6/08 at 12:00am

I can see Judy Davis as Violet. Although she is not old enough, they could use makeup to make her look 10 years older.

Sissy Spacek would also make a good Violet.

I'm glad that Tracy Letts is writing the screenplay for it. Hopefully it'll be true to the stage version.. Bad direction will **** that up though.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#17re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/6/08 at 12:03am

Hey how about Ellen Burstyn?

or Shirley MacLaine?

Jane Fonda? I can see all of these ladies as Violet. Updated On: 8/6/08 at 12:03 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#18re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/6/08 at 12:06am

With Letts adapting the screenplay, this has the potential to be one dynamite film.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 2/22/09 at 12:06 AM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#19re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/6/08 at 12:10am

Love the idea of Jane Fonda as Vi

BenSaysOiVey Profile Photo
BenSaysOiVey
#20re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/6/08 at 1:29am

Meryl Streep is my favorite screen actress but there is no way that she could pull off Barbara. She is much more appropriate for Violet, and I would actually love to see her tackle that role.
I also enjoy the idea of Jane Fonda as Violet, another choice that I would love is Sally Field.
The idea of Laura Linney as Barb is great, but I would like to see Rachel Griffith tackle the role (Patricia Clarkson and Toni Collette would work as well).
Somethingwicked's suggestion of Kathy Bates as Mattie Fae is perfect.
Marissa Tomei or Mary-Louise Parker for Ivy, Christina Applegate for Karen (another great suggestion from Somethingwicked), Frank Langella as Beverly, and Will Artnet as Steve.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#21re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/6/08 at 1:33am

I'd like to see Toni Collette as Barbara, that'd be awesome.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/6/08 at 1:39am

Kathy Bates has played this role time and time again. I'd like to see an actress play Mattie Fae who can bring something new to the table. It would just be the same old, same old with Kathy Bates. She is the obvious choice because she always plays fat, slobby women. The role needs someone who can bring some humanity to the role toward the end of the story.

Ivy needs to be plain. Marisa Tomei is a knockout. She wouldn't fit into any of these roles.

-Kad

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#23re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/6/08 at 1:51am

WannaBe, you're right about Tomei, she is a knock-out. I just kinda love her subtle acting (her very unglamorous, quiet--Oscar nominated-- performance in IN THE BEDROOM is beautiful), but I know what you mean. I do stand by my Mary-Louise Parker suggestion.
Bates has indeed played the role time and time again, but oh she is so good at it! And I do believe she could be quite wonderful during Mattie Mae's final scene with Barb.
The other actress that comes to mind for the role would be Jean Smart.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

#24re: Letts to pen OSAGE COUNTY screenplay - film in the works
Posted: 8/6/08 at 2:54am

i wish amy morton could be cast in the film. she's a knockout, and casting anyone else would be disrespecting her part in creating that role and delivering, in this theatregoer's opinion, the performance of the season.