News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Theatreboy33

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Member Name: Theatreboy33
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

help choosing songs
 Aug 14 2008, 06:19:50 PM
I am an acting teacher at a high school arts conservatory. While I am fairly well versed in musical theatre, I know many people on this board are much more so. I wanted to create a thread for my students to periodically check. Many of them are looking for contemporary up-tempo show songs to sing for college auditions and other events. While I offered up my limited knowledge, I was hoping some of you could just list a few more suggestions. Anything to get their minds thinking. These are ver
re: Who else REALLY misses Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?
 Jun 23 2008, 11:18:45 AM
I cant wait for MTI to release the rights for this show. I always felt both this (and 'Curtains' now that its closing) have great potential in regional theatres and community theatre.
re: which one is a greater play: Doubt or August Osage County?
 Jun 23 2008, 11:14:01 AM
Though I think that August is a better play (it's just more impressively crafted), both plays are just filled with wonderful roles for middle aged women, which is a rare thing.
re: John Lithgow, Dianne Weist, Katie Holmes to star in ALL MY SONS Revival
 May 21 2008, 10:57:41 AM
I like this casting (minus holmes). But I still wish they had cast the father role with the original rumor of Robert Redford.
re: I guess it's official- Wicked Chicago to Close 1/2009
 May 21 2008, 10:45:49 AM
It played long enough for everyone in Chicago to see it if they liked. I think that was the mission with these regional sit-down runs.
re: How bad was DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES?
 May 20 2008, 10:29:03 AM
Im not sure thats true about Steinman and comedy not mixing. What makes all the Meatloaf music work so well is the utterly ridiculous melodramic style of it all and Meatloaf's utter fearlessness to take it all the way. But still there is always the tongue-in-cheeck knowledge on both Meatloaf and Steinman's part that this music is so over-the-top. But, as I said, instead of acting ashamed by this and resisting it, as Crawford and the rest of this confused production did, Meatload takes it all
re: How bad was DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES?
 May 20 2008, 10:19:09 AM
Melodrama and slapstick/toilet humor just don't mix. Imagine the phantom of the opera suddenly turning into a flying bat puppet and saying f--- every other word. And then return to singing a haunting ballad, and then suddenly introducing his phantom son who is a ridiculously gay fop. It was just so schizophrenic.

And like most flops worth remembering, it had some really fantastic moments and some gems in the score. But for every one of those, there were three or four glorious failu

re: NERDS gearing up for Broadway Fall 2008?
 May 20 2008, 10:11:32 AM
This can work on Broadway. It's actually much better suited to Broadway than something like Title of Show. It has a familiar (albeit highly exaggerated) story with well known characters and a hillarious catchy score. It's more like Xanadu in my opinion: not an 'important' musical, but very well written and highly entertaining.

All that said, I wish they would go back to the casting style that the original workshoped production at NYU in 2003 had. That production had cast the Bill G

re: Osage County will be adapted to the screen
 May 15 2008, 11:56:40 PM
How about Sally Field as Violet?
re: Riabko & Socha will be SPRING leads
 May 15 2008, 10:18:57 AM
Now I wont pretend to have any idea of who this guy is, but judging by his playbill.com write-up, do you think this means Spring Awakening is headed down the same slippery path of 'Rent,' casting never-before-acted singers trying to fill seats with screaming teens?
re: Waiting for Godot Headed to Broadway?
 May 15 2008, 10:13:33 AM
I saw Irwin in Lincoln center's production a few years back with Steve Martin and Robin Williams as Didi and Gogo. He played Lucky and was, of course, superb. It seems like both with current revival trends and even new plays (August, for example), we are really in a renaissance for classic golden-age theatre. And I love it.
re: Day-Lewis In Talks For NINE Film
 May 15 2008, 10:08:37 AM
Much of this film's casting irks me, especially Kidman and Dench. But Downey would be a great great choice. He could play the Contini arrogance/confusion so well.
re: Hilarious Article Regarding AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
 Apr 26 2008, 07:00:32 PM
ok ill give you that, but i still stand by my (now edited) sentiments.
re: Hilarious Article Regarding AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
 Apr 26 2008, 06:15:12 PM
WannaBe,
You're usually one of the few posters on this board that I read with any interest as you seem to have a good amount of intelligence. But your reading of this article seems so inept, I wonder did you actually read the entire thing? Or are you aware that all that's going on here is a little hometown pride being extolled by Chicago's local theatre critic (who perpetually writes more intelligent reviews than Brantley for most broadway shows) Chris Jones. And even if you can't see t

re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
 Apr 20 2008, 02:30:45 AM
Justin Kirk, in my opinion, was just miscast in the part. Obviously, any episode of Weeds can show you just where this actor's immense talent and sense of humor-style lies. However, I just dont think Kirk had enough of a gay sensibility as Prior in the film. The campy love of glamour, the over-the-top sense of humor, all of those things were just strangely missing and replaced with a very subtle, understated delivery of everything. I suppose his Prior was simply 'too cool' for me. Prior is
re: WICKED will have open-ended run in San Francisco's ORPHEUM THEATER.
 Apr 10 2008, 02:09:25 PM
"The Starbucks of musical theatre"
I couldnt have said it better myself. Same color scheme too. Im so sick of this miserable musical.

Opus play script
 Apr 4 2008, 11:43:49 PM
Ive been trying to get my hands on the sciprt of Michael Hollinger's play Opus about the string quartet. Does anyone know if it's published or where i can find a manuscript?

re: Movies that would make good shows......
 Mar 6 2008, 05:46:17 PM
BULLETS OVER BROADWAY!
How will it fit?
 Feb 27 2008, 08:14:19 PM
How will August Osage fit into the music box theatre? I realize that they will reconstruct the set and probably adjust the scale of things, but the music box has such a short proscenium, i just dont see how a three story, pitched roof house can possibly fit. Anyone know how theyre planning on doing this?
re: Broadway Composers You Dislike
 Feb 18 2008, 06:47:58 PM
Dislike, but respect:
Cole Porter
Michael John LaChiusa
Andrew Lloyd Weber

Just plain dislike:
Frank Wildhorn (my god!, this man sucks!)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You