OBC "Angels in America" footage

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#1OBC "Angels in America" footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:15am

I don't care if youtube is tiffy with people. I HAD to share this. An E! Segment on "Angels in America" when it opened on Broadway in 1993. Short but nevertheless interesting clips of Ron Leibman, Marcia Gay Harden, Stephen Spinella, and Joe Manetello in the show. I just think it's interesting to see an idea of the orginal physical production.

Oh, so nostalgic. And sure enough, the show has become everything they predicted it would be.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oiTCym4Z3Kg&feature=related

Kasie Profile Photo
Kasie
#2re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:20am

Thank you so much for posting this Kevinoes.

Brick
#2re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:35am

Thank you!

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#3re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:38am

Danka.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#4re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:41am

Oh wow! Thank you so much.

Would you look at them! *gasp* I mean they are just so beautiful THEN and so beautiful NOW! Ron Liebman, Joe Mantello, Kathleen Chalfant, Marcia Gay Harden and Stephen (freakin') Spinella in that role! My gawd!

For anyone who hasn't read the plays, do it now. It was one of the best gifts I could have given myself during finals week in college (I needed a break from pouring through textbooks).

What I would have given to have been old enough to have seen this and appreciated this in-person in 1993.

Can anyone who DID see it share some nostalgia stories?

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#5re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 2:09am

It's so awful to think that I don't think this would manage to make it to Broadway nowadays.

Thank you SO much for posting.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 12:05pm

Wow! That was priceless. I loved the footage, it's so fascinating.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Trekkie2
#7re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 12:09pm

Profound work and a sexy cast.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#8re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 12:46pm

Well, the days in which E! would devote 7 minutes to a Broadway show (not starring Julia or Denzel) are certainly over.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#9re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 12:52pm

Thank you so much for posting this.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 4/18/08 at 12:52 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#10re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 12:57pm

It's so awful to think that I don't think this would manage to make it to Broadway nowadays.

It was pretty amazing to see it on Broadway THEN.

And people wonder why we have nostalgia for the 90s...

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#11re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 12:59pm

re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage used to do amazing 30-minute specials on Broadway shows many years ago. Sometimes they even profiled a touring production as well. I remember one in particular where they followed the actress playing Grizabella in the CATS tour and saw what her life was like when the show stopped in a city (looking for laundromats; restaurants open late at night, etc). They also did this with the A CHORUS LINE tour.

Great and priceless stuff.

Yankeefan007
#12re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:05pm

I am indebted to you.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#13re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:11pm

Thanks so much for posting, thats great

I wish it would head back to Broadway

We had a revival of it in London last year which was amazing

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#14re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 3:29pm

Yes - thank you for posting - that was really interesting.

I also saw last year's London production. It was a great production (best of the three I've seen) and great to see both parts in the same day.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#15re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 3:38pm

I'm currently playing Louis in a regional production of this show and we are doing parts one and two in rep to sold out houses. I definitely think the interest is there and that it could run on Broadway again under the right circumstances.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Yankeefan007
#16re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 3:43pm

A play like ANGELS IN AMERICA would definitely succeed on Broadway.

However, I don't think it will be seen in NY until at least 2010...when the Signature Theater Company does their Tony Kushner season. I will strongly bet that MA and PERESTROIKA will be part of their series.

jacco
#17re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 3:50pm

Angels is currently one of the best running productions in Dutch theatre. Toneelgroep Amsterdam (the most prestigious company in Holland) have made a beautiful new production on a completely empty stage. Director Ivo van Hove (who has worked on Broadway by the way) knows what to do with this modern classic.To have an idea: follow this link.... http://www.angelsinamerica.nl/ fill in your name and email and enjoy the ride.....

Mattbrain
#18re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 3:52pm

I've seen this clip before. It's amazing to say the least.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#19re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 4:01pm

Even with the volume turned down, there's no mistaking that's The Netherlands and not the US.

jacco
#20re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 4:06pm

It's actually filmed in the famous "IJ tunnel"
near Amsterdam. This production is amazing though...filled with Bowie songs by the way...

timote316
#21re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 4:11pm

If a production was done right on Broadway, it'd definitely succeed, and probably wouldn't even need a big name attached.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 4:24pm

I would love to see some of NY's great actors tackle these wonderful roles in a Broadway revival.
This is something I can see Lincoln Center doing to much acclaim, given their success with the COAST OF UTOPIA trilogy.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#23re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 4:24pm

I know someone based in Amsterdam who'd be interested in this.

I've spent many great weekends visiting him over there.

Roscoe
#24re: OBC 'Angels in America' footage
Posted: 4/18/08 at 4:28pm

That amazing footage of Ron Leibman brings it back, he was amazing as Roy Cohn. Wow.

I saw the original Bway production. I got a ticket to a random Wednesday matinee, before performances even started. As I remember, the preview process was long and problematic, and the opening kept getting pushed back. It finally opened on the Tuesday night before my Wednesday matinee. I woke up with the hottest ticket in town.

The cast was clearly jazzed from the incredible reviews, and it was one hell of a performance. I'll never forget it.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/