News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jcdenton08

Member Name: jcdenton08
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: British NY Theatre Trip Review (WARNING - LONG!!) :-) - PART ONE!
 Feb 24 2009, 11:18:37 AM
Thanks for the replies

DAY THREE: - Monday 16th February 2009

Headed for the Statue of Liberty on the "1" train.. arrived at 9.15am and was told all tickets for the Statue and museum had been sold for the day, and there would be a two and a half hour wait for a ferry to the island. We left.

We paid our respects at Ground Zero, and I spent a full hour in tears in the museum. Harrowing.

The day was centered around our evening entertainment which was;

Katie Thompson + Special Guests, Birdland Jazz Club, 7.00pm

SEATS: Left orchestra table

CAST:

Katie Thompson (Piano, Vocals)
Lisa Brescia
Shoshana Bean
Ann Harada
Morgan James
Carly Jibson
Carrie Manolakos
Julia Murney
Molly Pope
Julie Reiber
Kate Shindle
Natalie Weiss
Hilary Kole

MUSICIANS:

Mairi Dorman-Phaneuf
Allison Seidner
Billy Miller
Sean Driscoll

I did make a note of the full set list and who sung what but I don't have the info on me. It was an evening of tribute to the upcoming star and writer of "R.R.R.E.D - The Redhead Musical Manifesto". For those who don't know, Katie writes a mix of comic and power ballad songs (see Youtube for (endorsed) examples).

As you can see from the cast list - an amazing array of Broadway talent, everybody was incredible. Highlights were Lisa Brescia, Julie Reiber and Morgan James. Well worth the $25.00 cover!

For those who "know" Birdland, Monday night is Jim Caruso's Cast Party night, an open mic evening where Broadway stars can sing on their night off in an informal setting, and try new things. Way too many "names" to list here, but included some of the above stars from the main feature, Sarah Rice, original Johanna in Sweeney Todd, and a few others who requested to have their appearance not mentioned!

An amazing night, and a must do in Broadway more so than any of the shows. This is something you really and truly don't get in London. Bravo Birdland!!!!

British NY Theatre Trip Review (WARNING - LONG!!) :-) - PART ONE!
 Feb 23 2009, 07:44:37 AM
Hi all!

Some of you may remember giving me advice before my trip about NYC and in particular ticketing. To all those who helped out, I just wanted to say thank you. Your advice proved valuable to us, and really helped us get the most out of our vacation.

Here is a long and detailed review of our holiday including all the shows we took in, and the casts etc. I am not biased to any actor or show (unless I say otherwise) so I guess you'll have to take me on my word at what I say. I do not mean to cause offence if I come across at any point as negative about your favourite actor/actress or your favourite show. I am just giving my (quite experienced) opinion. If you disagree with me, fair enough - but please don't try and "correct" my opinion - I am experienced enough to know what is quality to my taste!!

DAY ONE: - Saturday 14th February 2009

Scary cab ride in from JFK. We passed two enormous cemeteries which must've contained tens of thousands of graves - something very eerie about driving through all that death to get to a "holiday destination" - and definitely something we never read about in any guidebook. Also, the area directly around JFK isn't the most appealing for first impressions!

Arrived in Times Square at 2:45pm and headed to TKTS booth.. now.. here is part one of a tale of disorganisation and woe

Foolishly, I had images of TKTS in NYC being even slightly like TKTS in London. This is probably the most valuable and most important learning curve to all British theatre fans visiting NYC - BOOK IN ADVANCE!!

We deliberately didn't book anything for Saturday night in case of delays with flights etc, and thought we'd chance the TKTS booth for what we could get on the day... big mistake.

With it being Presidents Day holidays, and also Valentines Day, as well as a Saturday night, the lady marking the line at the back of the tickets booth told us it would be two and a half hours from that point to the front of the line, from when the booths open at 3.00pm.

The list of shows available looked okayish, only four musicals, being Pal Joey (50%), The Story of my Life (50%, Chicago (30%) and Guys And Dolls (40%) and a handful of plays.

We waited in line, and waited, and waited, along with what seemed like thousands and thousands of others (mostly native NYers) - finally, we reached the front at nearly 6.00pm - three and a quarter hours later - and were told that they had sold their last seats for anything at all thirty customers ago, but we were welcome to wait in a seperate line for any theatre releases... Screw that, we said, and went to take in some of Times Square.

On the way back to the hotel we picked up a "deal" by a street seller on stand up comedy tickets to Stand up NY, which we intended to go to that night but ended up staying in and catching up with sleep instead!

DAY TWO: - Sunday 15th February 2009

After an early breakfast and keen to put our bad start behind us we headed straight for the top of the Rock, which was great, then round to the stage door of the Lunt-Fontanne for a meeting where I had the pleasure of meeting Sierra Boggess. Had a photo and a chat, then it was time for the show;

The Little Mermaid - Lunt-Fontanne Theatre - 3.00pm

SEATS: Row O Orchestra

CAST:

Sierra Boggess (Ariel)
Sean Palmer (Prince Eric)
JC Montgomery (U/S King Triton)
Heidi Blickenstaff (Ursula)
Eddie Korbich (Scuttle)
Jonathan Freeman (Grimsby)
Rogelio Douglas JR (Sebastian)
Jason Snow (U/S Flotsam)
Eric LaJuan Summers (Jetsam)
Robert Creighton (Chef Louis)
Trevor Braun (Flounder)

All swings on. Cast two down in total including swings.

OPINION:

Our first ever Broadway show, and it was excellent. I really and truly don't understand why the critics and "in the know" theatregoers are so vehement in their criticism of this show. I think the name "Disney" sets off alarm bells, as does "blockbuster" - and generally when you add "family friendly" one can guarantee a snobbish review.

It was not perfect, and lots of the directional choices were frankly baffling - but as a fan of the material and growing up with Disney I was able/willing to overlook these and accept it for what it was - a wonderful piece of escapism, sung and acted brilliantly by a talented cast.

The theatre is very appropriate and the acoustics are good and well mixed. The few click tracked parts are noticable, though probably not to the average theatregoer and not so they detract.

First of all, having heard so much about the "crazy" Broadway audiences and how appreciative they are, this was not once my experience from any of the shows we saw during our stay. The audiences could've cared less at some shows, which I will come to. At this particular show, the "general" audience noise was extremely loud but to be expected at a family show - a lot of children's voices and candy wrappers, but I was too excited to be bothered!

As mentioned, some of the direction and visualisation choices are very strange (the heelies honestly don't work.. they should change this) also, quite a few people did laugh out loud when Triton is "introduced" in the first scene - and when I say introduced, he is sort of wheeled downstage in a quite gold painted wheelbarrow. A mite too cheesy, even for Disney, perhaps.

Also, all swings were on so we had I believe as many as three swings covered Triton's daughters, which might explain the slightly messy vocals in ensemble numbers (She's In Love, Daughter's of Triton).

Again, bizarre decision not to pause for applause after Part of your World (Reprise) - a scene which could, and should, be staged so much more dramatically to much bigger effect. As it happens, she simply sings the line and runs off stage, cutting straight into the next scene.

Sierra Boggess looks and sounds perfect in the role, but it does feel like despite having the title role, everybody around her gets to "do" more with their more meatier parts. Heidi Blickenstaff is SUPERB as Ursula and I much prefer her to what I have seen and heard of her predecessor. She has a fantastic time, as did Flotsam and Jetsam - the understudy covering Flotsam in particular standing out.

JC Montgomery didn't really impress covering King Triton, he appeared to be doing a kind of phoney "deep" voice which was neither comic or serious, it was just.. present. His singing was not too strong either. He was also wearing an amusing body suit as I don't believe he has the required physique for the role.

Eddie Korbich was great as Scuttle, and added a few ad-libs here and there (much to the producers annoyance, no doubt). Sean Palmer is very wooden as Prince Eric, and also seems to have the two slowest and weakest numbers in the show - "Her Voice" and "One Step Closer". Robert Creighton does fine as Chef Louis, with an amusing three or so minutes stage time. Trevor Braun on as Flounder is popular with the kids and women, and does a good job. Experienced Disney man Jonathan Freeman does a good turn as Grimsby.

The best number on stage though without any shadow of a doubt is "Under the Sea". It is an absolute joy and is sung to perfection by new Sebastian Rogelio Douglas Jr, who is also a fully trained classical dancer, having toured as a principal dancer in Riverdance.

He stole the show with his performance all the way through - I personally had not thought it possible for an actor to display "range" while wearing a giant red crab costume, glued on boggly eyes and adopting a Caribbean accent but this guy proved it. He gives a fantastic performance. Funny, moving and wonderfully sung he is definitely the one who steals the show (this from a *huge* Sierra Boggess fan). "Kiss The Girl" is also excellent but the staging is more mediocre.

The dancing and choreography in "Under The Sea" is so tight it puts some of the things we saw later in the vacation to shame.
The finale is cheesy and a bit stupid, but it's Disney and that is what we did expect. It finished to a standing ovation.

Then back to the hotel, to get changed, then a cab later that night over to "Stand Up NY" comedy club for an evening on good (and bad) comedy! My partners highlight was Caroline Rhea (known to most for Sabrina the Teenage Witch) showing up and doing that evening's set. The usual mix of loud hormonal women, clever jewish guys and obnoxious black men that seems to infiltrate the comedy circuit in the UK is the same on NYC. Still, for $65 (2x entry + 6 beers) it was a cheap night!

Part two to follow on request

re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
 Feb 10 2009, 09:35:29 AM
You're quite right of course, what ho!
 Feb 10 2009, 09:07:20 AM
It's okay and all sorted now everybody. I think we made the most full itinery known to mankind! lol

Thanks for all the recommendations - I am not adversed to seeing a play FWIW - it's more a case of wanting to do the whole "tourist thing", and sitting down for a serious play might bring down our spirits a bit, when we want to be running around like crazy.

I found a couple of absolute *gems* to fill the empty nights!

Feb 9 2009, 02:16:01 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I took your advice and checked out those websites, theatremania, broadwaybox and playbill.com - I've seen the 39 steps in London so I'll pass on that. I've pretty much decided on Shrek but they are only offering Row Y (very back row) in the very left hand side seats for $80.00 each plus $18 booking fees.. think I'll try TKTS instead!

Feb 9 2009, 12:56:50 PM
Thank you everyone once again for such helpful, positive responses :)

I just remember we actually got Phantom at half-price using a ticket offer so I don't feel so bad now.. Wicked it seems I actually got very good seats - albeit at the full price.

It's only TLM which I've been stung with.. I just need to find a way to try and fix it. Any ideas?

Feb 9 2009, 12:19:20 PM
Thank you both

I have a few more questions..

5) Are seats at TKTS sold front to back as in London?

6) How long has Little Mermaid been at TKTS since opening? I was (somehow) under the impression it was doing as good business as the likes of Wicked and Jersey Boys!

Will the theatre be anywhere near full on Sunday?

I was thinking if some of the front of the stalls are empty if I should try and ask for an upgrade closer, or sneak forward at the interval?

Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
 Feb 9 2009, 11:41:05 AM
Hi,

I am a first time visitor to Broadway from the UK, visiting with my partner for 5 days.

Further to my other posts, some other questions have arisen. I know these must seem terribly simplistic to those experienced theatregoers, but it seems the ticket situation on Broadway is *completely* different to the West End and the rest of Europe, and I would really appreciate some honest, simple answers to a few questions, if at all possible?

1) Can somebody please explain to me what "Student Rush" is, who is entitled to it (e.g. under a certain age, or with what specific ID - is it for U.S residents only?) - and attached to this, which shows offer "Student Rush"?

2) When I booked two top price Orchestra seats for TLM and Phantom from Ticketmaster last October, for my upcoming visit to New York this week, I did so believing that they are two of the top selling shows, and therefore would not be at TKTS. Am I right in now thinking I could've saved myself $230+ by waiting until on the day, or is it better to have seats guaranteed for these two shows?

I've also booked second row just off centre for Wicked - does that usually sell out through the week, and are they good seats?

3) The above "Student Rush" and "lottery" tickets, do they only apply to top price orchestra seats, or could they be anywhere in the house? What is the usual discount, and which shows do/don't participate?

4) I have three shows booked with room for one more on the Saturday night we arrive (we haven't booked in advance in case of delays) - what is the best show I am likely to get from TKTS, based on past experience - and what would folks recommend to see? If nothing at TKTS, which is the best deal at the box office? I am wary of getting ripped off..

I'd really appreciate any advice - have I gotten a raw deal so far?

re: Sierra Bogges & Ramin Karimloo to play leads in Phantom 2?
 Feb 9 2009, 07:42:41 AM
I withdraw my post.
re: Lunt-Fontanne advice please :-)
 Feb 9 2009, 05:52:33 AM
Hmm, so do you think it was a mistake to book three shows in advance? Little Mermaid we paid $262.60 including Ticketmaster (scam) fees for two mediocre seats about 14 rows back in the orchestra.. but apparently it would've been better waiting, saving myself $130.00 and getting them on the day!

Same for Phantom - got tickets in side orchestra full price.. could've saved another $100.00!

Lesson learned.

Feb 9 2009, 05:33:12 AM
Hang on... Looking at the TKTS website is very confusing.

It implies that half price (50%) tickets are available for Little Mermaid, Shrek etc - even for a Saturday night!

That can't be right - I thought the likes of Little Mermaid, Phantom and to a lesser extent Shrek were always full in advance for busier nights?!

Feb 9 2009, 05:25:47 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply re: TKTS.

My question was just as with the first post;

I am trying to get an e-mail address for the Lunt-Fontanne theatre, or ideally for the Company Manager?

Thanks,

JC

re: Sierra Bogges & Ramin Karimloo to play leads in Phantom 2?
 Feb 9 2009, 04:39:31 AM

Lunt-Fontanne advice please :-)
 Feb 9 2009, 04:28:48 AM
Hi guys!

I am travelling from the UK to visit NY, arriving this Saturday (14th).

I have two questions I hoped you might help me with;

1) Arriving Saturday afternoon, what kind of availability is there left at TKTS for Saturday night, in your experience? We already have Little Mermaid booked for Sunday, Phantom for Tuesday, and Wicked for Wednesday, but are trying to squeeze one more in!

2) I am trying to contact the Company Manager at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre

re: EVITA: Which Recording?
 Sep 22 2008, 03:30:02 PM
Hence "studio" recording, not "original cast recording".. in the biz, the term studio recording refers to any professionally produced (non-bootleg) recording made with the *consent* of the copyright owner, but not necessarily the express endorsement.

In this case it's a studio concept recording produced and sent out to try and convince backers to part with their money..
Other examples of this include the Les Miserables original French concept album, the Chess concept album..

The OLC of Evita did indeed feature Elaine Paige, who was offered the role as a second-choice, after Julie Covington turned down the role of Evita on stage to focus on her (very) private life.

I think ALW is on record as saying he wished Covington had stayed on..

re: What Were Older Shows Like When They Opened?
 Sep 22 2008, 09:47:35 AM
My opinion, as a rule of thumb most DANCE-intensive shows go badly downhill after the first cast-change. This is due to original cast being choreographed and directed in by the original production team.. the second cast are then basically told to do what the first cast did, and so the quality depreciates with each week that passes, the steps get looser and looser before you end up a horrible Chicago-shaped mess

Spamalot in London during previews and the first few months, compared to third cast in, the difference was huge. In the words somebody very senior related to the show, "it's gone down-hill a lot, oh well".

The sign of a quality show is the ability to be 'timeless'.. Phantom, and Les Mis in particular have lasted so long because of tourism and the quality of the piece as a whole commercially.

It also helps if, like Chicago or Blood Brothers, you can afford to run at 25% house Mon-Thurs and still be profitable.

re: Your favorite Glinda?
 Sep 22 2008, 09:40:47 AM
Of the three I've seen live AKA actually at the theatre, Sarah Earnshaw was the best, as first cover for Helen Dallimore. She wasn't perfect, but was miles better than the other two.

Helen Dallimore (funny acting, bad singing), Dianne Pilkington (horrible, horrible put-on voice)

As for everyone else, Kristin set the bar rediculously high - but I still have time for Megan Hilty who I think is also excellent in the role

re: Julia Stiles to make Broadway debut in OLEANNA?
 Sep 22 2008, 09:07:59 AM
"First Katie Holmes and now this? Yuck."

Erm, I don't think the two are actually a fair comparison in my opinion. Julia Stiles is a recognised, albeit fairly limited, stage actress, who takes her work very seriously.

Having read through all the posts regarding this, it seems to me only one person actually saw her in the play in London?

In my opinion this does not need to be revived, not because it isn't a fantastic piece of writing, as well as some of Mamet's best, but

re: EVITA: Which Recording?
 Sep 22 2008, 08:53:41 AM
Becky and I are both huge Evita fans, and own every cast recording, as well as other recordings.. I've only actually seen two different professional productions live, the current U.K tour and the 2006 London Revival.. so the easiest way is to list my favourite people in the roles;

Evita - Elena Roger (Amazing live, doesn't work on the rushed CD, therefore either Madonna or Julie Covington)
Che - Antonio Banderas or David Essex
Peron - Jonathan Pryce or Philip Quast

The

re: Sierra Boggess leaving TLM..?
 Sep 20 2008, 02:39:04 PM
Thanks I saw her actually in London as MP and in Chitty.. she's very good, if anybody else is reading this!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You