News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Square Peg2

Square Peg2 Profile Photo
Member Name: Square Peg2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Singing On Set - Not Just for
 Oct 7 2012, 06:14:19 AM
If I recall correctly, I think a lot of the film Across The Universe was sung live on set.
Into the Woods Movie Reading Cast...
 Oct 3 2012, 08:02:38 AM
I know she can sing, but I don't know what her vocie type is. Range permitting, I would love to see Condola Rashad as Cinderella.
What would youy say is the most popular Sondheim show?
 Sep 16 2012, 12:27:25 AM
I find it bizarre to suggest that Gypsy isn't widey known in Australia.

If I were to write a list of all Sondheim show titles and show them to a bunch of random people, I guarantee you most of them would recognise Gypsy before many of the other titles.

'Angry Broadway Music' Playlist
 Sep 15 2012, 09:54:14 PM
Technically not "Broadway" but 'Hard to Say Goodbye' from Violet. Played loud.
So will Daddy Warbucks be a name?
 Jun 2 2012, 09:33:30 PM
Australian media are already reporting Warlow has been cast as Warbucks...

So will Daddy Warbucks be a name?
 May 27 2012, 05:44:44 AM
Anthony Warlow is playing the role in Melbourne as we speak, and will be in Perth with the show from August. It would be a bit of an anticlimax for his first Broadway role, but it would be wonderful for him to finally be on Broadway.
Into the Woods- Regent's Park Discussion Thread
 Feb 11 2012, 04:37:32 AM
'Hey all, I know this is an ancient thread, my apologies. I have been wrestling with Digital Theatre, trying to watch this for a week or two now, with their tech support emailing useless suggestions and then taking a day or two to respond to my emails saying they don't work.

I know people had issues last year when it was first made available. Did anyone come up with a solution? (I've tried both the download and the "rental", and I live in Australia.)

Or, alternatively, is there some magical way this wonderful production could end up in my inbox? Does it exist anywhere else digitally?

Apologies for begging, I do realise it's undignified!

Lea Michele in Talks for SPRING AWAKENING Film!
 Feb 9 2012, 10:11:44 PM
For those asking about McG's musical experience, I believe he was well known for directing music videos before making the Charlie's Angels films.

Makes sense, then, that he would be Hollywood's pick for this film (not mine, for the record).

What's the most UNDERRATED Broadway Score?
 Sep 10 2011, 10:03:44 PM
Definitely agree with those who have said Taboo, I adore that score and am devastated at never having been able to see the show. I can't help but presume that the book was a hot mess, because the performances on the cast album are stunning.

Also agree with Runaways, that album blows me away too.

Brooklyn's score is terrible. Cliche ridden, oversung and utterly uninteresting.

Just watched the documentary 'Show Business: The Road to Broadway'
 Aug 3 2011, 05:52:42 AM
Yep, my understanding is that The Boy From Oz was the only show on Broadway that season to not give the documentary crew access. They filmed stuff from the plays, as well, and decided to focus on the new musicals, except the one that wouldn't let them in.

The DVD is well worth a purchase - I love watching the commentary with Alan Cumming equally as much as the film itself.

Question About The Accents In Priscilla
 May 3 2011, 05:20:44 AM
I'm Australian, and I haven't seen the show or heard the cast album (and am therefore totally unqualified to comment ... and yet here I go ... ah, internets!!), but based on a rehearsal video I heard, I also thought Swenson's was the most authentic accent other than Sheldon's.

How hilarious that the Aussies seem to lean that way and the Americans towards Adams. Can't help but wonder if Americans perceive Aussie accents to sound somehow different to the way they actually do.

The 30 Day Musical Theatre Song Challenge - DAY 12
 Apr 25 2011, 01:13:55 AM
This is asking, like, you could listen to the musical all day, not the individual song, right?

I could listen to Curiosity/Prayer all day long, but not that whole score.

Life of the Party from Lippa's The Wild Party, however. That album could and sometimes does take up longterm residence in my CD player (I know, I'm so old school, listening to actual discs no mp3s!)

The 30 Day Musical Theatre Song Challenge - DAY 3
 Apr 15 2011, 01:22:11 AM
The Riddle Song, from Floyd Collins - because a couple of people already stole my Taboo answers!
The 30 Day Musical Theatre Song Challenge - DAY 2
 Apr 13 2011, 11:13:30 AM
'Even Though" from I Love You Because.
Universal to make an American Idiot movie and NOT In The Heights?!
 Apr 13 2011, 01:26:39 AM
This makes much more sense to me. American Idiot, besides the already recognisable music, with the right people could be seriously cinematically successful, artistically speaking. It could be a Pink Floyd-y delight. Whereas, as much as I love ITH, it is as stagey as stage musicals get. Totally pro forma in terms of characters, plot and corniness. That works in the houses of Rogers and Hammerstein, but wouldn't make the kind of movie I'd like to see.
The 30 Day Musical Theatre Song Challenge - DAY 1
 Apr 12 2011, 10:40:50 AM
I like this one - for me, it's the same whether referring to film musical or live stage musical!

"Getting to Know You" - The King and I

New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
 Apr 7 2011, 07:22:57 AM
Bert La Bonte is going to be the only decent thing about the Melbourne production. I'm embarrassed in advance of the mess MTC makes of it. Directed by Dean Bryant whose recent restaging of his own work Prodigal was a hot mess.

Sigh.

TOMORROW MORNING
 Mar 29 2011, 07:40:06 AM
I don't know anything about the NY production, but I have the Chicago cast recording and saw it mounted in Melbourne recently. I don't mind it, it has some appeal, but as far as a L5Y comparison, it's a watery replica. The characters are nowhere near as finely drawn, the score is nowhere near as strong, memorable or meaningful.

Cute and enjoyable, but not on the same level as L5Y (imho).

CMIYC, TAOPQOTD, TBOM, HTSIBWRT or W?
 Feb 20 2011, 06:18:55 AM
Oh my god, this thread has me laughing my arse off...

..and then wrinkling my brow because I still can't figure out what TMOM is ... not that I tried very hard.

Grease 2: The Concert (in Melbourne)
 Feb 11 2011, 08:21:32 PM
I also saw it last night and mostly enjoyed it. They did a good job of sending up the ridiculousness of the film in a way that somehow honoured it - for those of us who grew up staging Score Tonight in our bedrooms! I thought most of the cast were terrific.

It's unfortunate that the reviewer on TheatrePeople.com.au did not understand the point of the show, lamenting the lack of dialogue and the lack of clarity in the story and often saying that this was "more like a concert" ... um ...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You