binau
#1~Rehersal Video, Set Model~ NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 8:32am

~Rehersal Video, Set Model~ NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork

Interesting Gabe

Still bad.

http://www.mtc.com.au/tickets/production.aspx?performanceNumber=3190

Am going to the first preview + have seen the show on Broadway three times so feel like I'm semi-qualified to report.

EDIT 1:

* A photo of the set model:

EDIT 2:

* 'Behind the Scenes/Rehearsal video'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tq0hujhbSA

Edit 3:

Photos of the cast rehearsing and things posted at the end of the thread.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/18/11 at 08:32 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 9:19am

Is Gabe now 40? And Dan looks particularly....gay.

If I were in the family pictured, I think I'd go crazy too.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#2New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 9:28am

Most of the season has sold out.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Jordan Catalano
#3New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 9:34am

Dan has a "Oh honey, no you didn't go crazy!" look on his face.

muchadoabout_me2
#4New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 10:21am

They're giving me more Mamma Mia and less Next to Normal in this.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#5New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 11:20am

Looks like some kind of bad production of Angels in America.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

aliceripleysnumber1 Profile Photo
aliceripleysnumber1
#6New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 12:36pm

Everyone besides Diana look like they should be superheroes protecting the city from the latest villain attack!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#7New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 12:41pm

I saw Gareth Keegan in Jersey Boys and he was pretty much awful. I still can't believe he's playing Gabe.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JacobJ
#8New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 1:03pm

I didn't catch Gareth in 'Jersey Boys'...but saw him as Tony in 'West Side Story' while he was studying at WAAPA and he was brilliant. And also, one of the loveliest guys you could ever hope to meet. I'm so happy for his success.

That said...artwork isn't the best...

Skywalker3
#9New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 5:07pm

New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork

This is the Dutch art! It's incomplete.. They haven't announced Henrey and Natalie yet. So I think there gonna be at the bottom

On the top left: Simone Kleinsma (Diana)
Right: Freek Bartels (Gabe)
On the bottom left: Rene van Kooten (Dr Madden)
Right: Wim van den Driessche (Dan)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#10New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 5:11pm

"Everyone besides Diana look like they should be superheroes protecting the city from the latest villain attack!"

The filename for the artwork is "hero", could it actually be intentional :-/?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#11New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 5:12pm

Oh dear...so many things to say, and none of them nice.

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#12New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 5:54pm

How is this relevant to the show? People will hear Superboy and the Invisible Girl and get the wrong idea.

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#13New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 5:56pm

New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork

The old artwork, for those who haven't seen it

(p.s. decided we can't conclude that they are going for a superhero angle based on the filename - they use 'hero' for all of their images - like a placeholder or something? idk)

Updated On: 4/6/11 at 05:56 PM

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#14New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 5:58pm

Some Aussie designer liked the opening titles to last season's BIG LOVE a bit too much.

Jordan Catalano
#15New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 6:01pm

I'd like to see a poster with Diana riding a dinosaur while a dominatrix Natalie is whipping Gabe who is naked and tied to a bed with Dan hiding underneath it laughing like a school girl.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#16New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 6:02pm

Totally LOLing at new artwork, then LOLed even louder at the old artwork of her juggle balancing the pills. I never really liked the Broadway production poster art, but it looks like a masterpiece compared to these.

I did not know that they were doing a Dutch production. Simone is going to be an awesome Diana (loved her in my cast recordings of the Dutch "Chicago" and "Sunset Blvd."). I can live without Freek though (their reality show winner "Joseph...")

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#17New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 6:04pm

Oh, Jordan. You really do almost never disappoint. New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#18New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 6:14pm

Jordan, it really depends on who's playing Gabe...

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#19New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 6:22pm

The bway artwork sucked. Those photos that made everyone look like wax dummies sucked and were creepy.

But this is just wierd. It looks like a dance show. I'm reminded of Stomp. But with anti-depressants.

....but the world goes 'round

DeNada
#20New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 6:23pm

Jordan, please design all posters from now on for everything.

The Dutch casting is hilarious. I mean, they're all talented, but they're in frickin' EVERYTHING that Stage Entertainment does (I know that's how they work but still...) I'm guessing Jasper Stokman and Michelle van de Ven (from Stage Entertainment's SPRING AWAKENING) for Henry and Natalie.

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#21New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 7:24pm

Melbourne cast looks fine, but I just don't get the Dutch casting. How can you be familiar with Next to Normal and say to yourself "you know what this show needs? A rape-faced Mr. Smith playing Dan."

And something deep down tells me that Diana would not imagine Gabe to be a booger of noticably different ethnicity with a receding hairline.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#22New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 7:38pm

Heh heh. Dutch Diana has terrifying eyes and Dutch Dan and Dutch Gabe have pin heads.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#23New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 8:43pm

Diana in the Melbourne artwork... the look is VERY Olivia Newton John a la Xanadu.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#24New NEXT TO NORMAL MELBOURNE artwork
Posted: 4/6/11 at 8:51pm

@DeNada: I know what you mean about casting the same people. When I see a musical with a middle aged woman as the starring role, I always place a bet with myself on whether Simone or Pia Douwes is going to be starring in it (and in the case of "Chicago" and "Sunset Blvd.", if both are going to be in it).

Anyway, I hope I get a new (probably live) cast recording out of the Dutch cast at least.