News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for noradesmond

noradesmond Profile Photo
Member Name: noradesmond
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Wicked Movie Musical Teaser  Feb 13 2024, 02:22:13 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if that is not what we'll hear in the final mix. It could be a teaser itself.

Who could replace Josh Groban?  Oct 5 2023, 05:33:16 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal. I don't know if he could handle the lower notes but imagine his take on the role.

First National Tour  Jul 30 2023, 02:19:15 PM

Esther2 said: "Dom P said: "According to IBDB, Peter Marshall was Georges in this tour."

Yes to Peter Marshall and Keene Curtis. I worked at the theatre at that time. What great memories.

Thanks for posting thisPatti LuPone FANatic!!
"

I saw this wonderful tour with Marshall and Curtis three times. 

SWEENEY TODD (2023) Reviews  Mar 26 2023, 09:49:30 PM

MemorableUserName said: "Variety:

‘Sweeney Todd’ Review: Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford Lead a Soaring but Remote Sondheim Revival on Broadway

https://variety.com/2023/legit/reviews/sweeney-todd-review-josh-groban-broadway-annaleigh-ashford-1235564843/
"

Hey Variety, Ruthie Ann Miles won her Tony for The King & I, not South Pacific. 

Cast Recordings That Have Transformed Your Opinion of a Score  Nov 24 2022, 12:41:55 PM

bk said: "JanMaxwellsBag said: "I used to think Follies was boring outside of Broadway Baby and I’m Still Here, but the 2011 revival recording changed all of that. It was well documented that budget cuts and technical issues plagued the original 1971 recording, so it was more a matter of sound quality and plot clarity for me. Because, goddamn, I know the revival recording inside and out. All the performances are perfection imo (and really made me a fan out of the dearl

INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread  Sep 30 2022, 01:18:18 PM

Just had my first listen and I agree it is a gorgeous recording. Hearing things, bits and pieces of music I know I'll be obsessing over on subsequent listenings. 

Sara is wonderful. I think Joanna Gleason is still the gold standard. I saw her near the end of the original Broadway run and her performance is not something I think will ever be surpassed. Now, this may be heresy, but I also thought Emily Blunt was fantastic in the movie. 

Gavin Creel. That's al

What is the lowlight of your theatre going experiences?  Sep 19 2022, 11:27:50 PM

I saw Jekyll & Hyde at the Alley Theater in Houston for both it's pre-Broadway runs.. The first time was really special. Act 2 needed a little work but overall the show felt 'ready' to me and my companion. The second time, the show had been re-worked and felt diminished - something had switched and it was less special and more, I don't know, glitzy. I didn't see it on Broadway but saw the National Tour and holy hell, what a crap fest. It was so sad to see what started

What is the lowlight of your theatre going experiences?  Sep 16 2022, 10:04:46 PM

1. Summer Stock. CAN-CAN. Ann Miller - big hair, big Texas drawl and, yes, tap dancing.The only time I left a show at intermission.

2. Took a co-worker friend on a non-date to see National Tour of EVITA! She got drunk at dinner, passed out during Act I (thankfully) but started snoring so I had to wake her up. I went back the next night with my usual theater date so I could enjoy the show.

re: What is the best recording of OKLAHOMA!?  Aug 8 2022, 05:43:50 PM

joevitus said: "MisterRussell said: "Undoubtedly the 1979 revival. Perfect."

Too cartoony, for my taste, and Laurence Guittard's voice is obviously strained by the demands of the score. But I've never heard from someone who caught the revival who didn't like it.
"

I saw it on tour. John Schneider was Curly and he was fantastic. Maybe the best I’ve seen. I’ve lost my program and old age has deprived me of my me

re: What is the best recording of OKLAHOMA!?  Aug 6 2022, 01:21:04 PM

Jay Blackton conducted the original and the ‘79 revival. And according to IMDB, he conducted for the movie as well. Coincidentally, those three are my favorites - not necessarily in that order. The RRB orchestrations can’t be beat. 

Reading of New Sondheim Musical with Nathan Lane and Bernadette Peters  Sep 15 2021, 08:03:10 PM

It's not 'New' but, a gender-swapped Sweeney Todd. Bernadette Peters as Sweeney - imagine the tears! Nathan Lane as Mrs. Lovett - that alone sells tickets. 

re: The Greatest Musical Theatre Voices Ever?  Feb 25 2021, 04:09:44 PM

stonewall2 said: "For sheer clarity and diction Mary Martin topped my list! Have you ever listened to songs as a kid and completly misunderstood the words 'cause the singer wasn't clear(and then felt like a fool as an adult!!!)??"

I was surprised Mary Martin had not been mentioned yet. 

Earwig transitions on Cast Recordings  Nov 9 2020, 05:40:02 PM

The transition between No More Candy and Three Letters in SHE LOVES ME

Happy Birthday to Loretta Swit  Nov 9 2020, 05:27:42 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "Loretta Swit as Agnes Gooch in the 1969 Las Vegas production of MAME which starred Susan Hayward.

"

Wait . . .WHAT?

Not to derail a Loretta Swit Love/Hate Fest, I’ve always been fascinated by Susan Hayward in MAME. There’s precious little info I’ve been able to find. Anybody see her or have any first-hand experience.

Your First Broadway Musical Recording  Oct 21 2020, 06:16:15 PM

Highland Guy said: "In the 1960's, as a young teenager, I bought my first 33 1/3 rpm record of a Broadway musical.....the movie version of "The Music Man" with Shirley Jones and Robert Preston. I still listen to that recording on my MP3 player, and enjoy it every bit as much as I did more than half a century ago.

What Broadway musical recording (in any format) was the first that you owned, and why did you choose that musical?
"

A high school p

The Boys in the Band to premiere on Netflix, Wed. 9/30  Oct 5 2020, 06:25:09 PM

Wayman_Wong said: "''Zachary Levi was wrong for Harold but in all fairness, Leonard Frey in the original is hard to compete with. Z Levi didn't seem to know where to go and would sometimes just do a poor imitation of the original,''

Speaking of ''wrong'' actors, Zachary Levi isn't in ''The Boys in the Band.''

The actor playing Harold in the Netflix film is Zachary Quinto.
"

Yes I confuse

The Boys in the Band to premiere on Netflix, Wed. 9/30  Oct 3 2020, 09:56:30 PM

My friends and I, all underage, went to see the original film numerous times when it was first released. It was like a right of passage and of course, we absorbed the language, the cuts, the zingers. Similar to South Park Bigger Longer Uncut when they go see the Terrance & Phillip movie, we were obsessed. So I have that William Friedkin directed film with the original cast indelibly planted in my mind. I approached this remake with cautious optimism and some of it I liked; much

Showtunes that evoke nostalgia and maybe a little regret?  Sep 25 2020, 03:55:13 PM

‘Song On The Sand’ Les Cage Aux Folles

’Hello, Young Lovers’ The King & I

’Edelweiss’ The Sound of Music

plus all the previously mentioned.

If one musical survives 200 years from now  Sep 3 2020, 02:52:45 PM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Curious what your thoughts are. With opera or very very early theatre works having only one or a small handful. Surviving as references in modern times. What is the one theatre piece In the last 100 years you would hope That would remain in culture ( like a magic flute, king oedipus, Carmen...).

I would hope its Phantom
"

Phantom, perhaps. It’s impossible to predict the taste of audiences in the future but I think shows too relia

What Show Would You Like To See At Encores?  Aug 22 2020, 03:33:18 PM

little_sally said: "I feel like Encores is the only place I'll ever see Red Head or Take Me Along."

Take Me Along was one of the first shows I saw many many years ago in summer stock with Forrest Tucker in the Gleason role. I drove my mother crazy until we could find the OBC recording and played it constantly. Even now, all these decades later, some of those songs pop in my head for no reason. It's a funny, lovely show and score that w

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You