pixeltracker

First National Tour "La Cage Aux Folles": Washington, D.C. 1985

First National Tour "La Cage Aux Folles": Washington, D.C. 1985

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1First National Tour "La Cage Aux Folles": Washington, D.C. 1985
Posted: 7/30/23 at 11:25am

This is very interesting.  The first part is the performance.  At around 31:27, the interview segment begins.  I wish the performers'  name had been included.https://youtu.be/pylbofHKoo4

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2First National Tour "La Cage Aux Folles": Washington, D.C. 1985
Posted: 7/30/23 at 12:29pm

The First National Tour cast was: Keith Mitchell (as Georges) and Walter Charles (as Albin). 

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#3First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 12:35pm

Except that's not Keith Mitchell. It's Peter Marshall.

Updated On: 7/30/23 at 12:35 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 12:48pm

George in DC said: "Except that's not Keith Mitchell. It's Peter Marshall."

I assumed the exact same thing then did some fact checking.  They look and sound eerily alike.

First National Tour

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#5First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 12:56pm

Except Keith Mitchell is Australian with the accent that goes with it. Peter Marshall is American . - which the actor in the video is.

This is Keith Mitchell in La Cage - very different voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy617U92m-8

Updated On: 7/30/23 at 12:56 PM

BorisTomashevsky
#6First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 1:10pm

Agreed that the Georges aren’t really similar side by side, but George in DC, are you saying that Michell is using his Australian accent onstage? He doing a British accent in the link you shared. 

I of course may be misinterpreting your post but as you only mentioned his Australian accent and his voice being different, I wasn’t sure. 

Updated On: 7/30/23 at 01:10 PM

Dom P
#7First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 1:11pm

According to IBDB, Peter Marshall was Georges in this tour.

Updated On: 7/30/23 at 01:11 PM

Dom P
#8First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 1:15pm

And Keene Curtis was Albin.

Dom P
#9First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 1:19pm

Walter Charles and Keith Mitchell played Los Angeles and San Francisco.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#10First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 1:22pm

Harvey Evans and Larry Kert did a tour of it at one time. Not sure when.

Esther2 Profile Photo
Esther2
#11First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 1:29pm

Dom P said: "According to IBDB, Peter Marshall was Georges in this tour."

Yes to Peter Marshall and Keene Curtis.  I worked at the theatre at that time.  What great memories.  

Thanks for posting this Patti LuPone FANatic!!

BorisTomashevsky
#12First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 1:33pm

The Kert and Evans tour was 87 - 88, mostly stops of between one and five nights. 

Dom P
#13First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 1:43pm

Lee Roy Reams and Walter Charles did a short 1993-1994 tour. George Hearn is forever burned into my mind as the state of the art Albin. Sorry if this a bit off thread. 😬 

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#14First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 2:19pm

Esther2 said: "Dom P said: "According to IBDB, Peter Marshall was Georges in this tour."

Yes to Peter Marshall and Keene Curtis. I worked at the theatre at that time. What great memories.

Thanks for posting thisPatti LuPone FANatic!!
"

I saw this wonderful tour with Marshall and Curtis three times. 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#15First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 3:30pm

https://youtu.be/bQkLRcqjL-M  I also saw this.  "The Making of La Cage" Pittsburgh 1985.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 7/31/23 at 03:30 PM

Dom P
#16First National Tour
Posted: 7/30/23 at 4:36pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "https://youtu.be/bQkLRcqjL-M I also saw this. "The Making of La Cage" Pittsburg 1985."

Thank you for sharing this wonderful piece.

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#17First National Tour
Posted: 7/31/23 at 1:30pm

When I saw Keene Curtis on the first National tour, when he was singing, "I Am What I Am", and he storms off the stage at the end of the song, he stomped down the stairs and fell down the final three steps.  The entire audience gasped and all through the intermission I became worried that he wouldn't return for Act 2.  Ever the trooper, he returned and finished the show with no indication that he had been hurt in any way.  It was an amazing show to see!...