News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TBD2

Member Name: TBD2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

BROADWAY HITS AND FLOPS 2009-2010
 May 25 2010, 03:02:47 PM
I understand the term "hit" and realize it's profit not sales figures that determine. Yet, "The Little Mermaid" sold over $82,000,000 with average ticket prices over $80 and ran for a long time (sorry, didn't look it up).

I find it VERY difficult to believe that it didn't recoup, announcement or no.

Ed

house left
 Aug 16 2009, 07:44:47 PM
If you have 'partial view', house right, I felt that there were only a couple of minor (not miner) moments when I was 'craning' to see plus a really big scene near the end that I wouldn't advise missing for first-timers. I haven't sat in house left partially obstructed view seats, maybe somebody else can elaborate.

Aside from this hand-full of seats, you will not miss ANY action from anywhere in the theater. The sets seem to 'taper' somewhat to ensure that everybody can see.

re: What is included in a production's cost?
 Aug 12 2009, 06:29:30 PM
^ I think the OP understood that, Specifically though?
re: What is included in a production's cost?
 Aug 12 2009, 06:20:17 PM
There are rental costs for audition and rehearsal spaces. Plus salaries for anybody under contract while the production is -- produced. Probably incidentals like travel and hotels...
re: Rock of Ages question
 Aug 10 2009, 03:50:43 PM
Have fun at the show! The 'orchestra' is GREAT fun. There is humor, romance, music and enough drama to tie it together. I even enjoyed the Journey songs!

Ed

re: I thought I would post this link.
 Aug 9 2009, 11:11:30 AM
I thought I would post this reply.
re: What shows do you think will be here in 5 years?
 Aug 3 2009, 09:28:31 AM
Trey: "but Wicked, Phantom, and Lion King aren't the only ones that have been open for close to/over five years. "

I stand corrected. Those pesky moves threw me off with Chicago... Should have caught AND Mama Mia, but Jersey Boys doesn't count (yet) and Ave. Q is closing to make room for it on the 'list' eventually. So make it 5 or 6 shows instead of 3 and the rest of my post remains as stated. Thanks.

Ed

re: What shows do you think will be here in 5 years?
 Aug 2 2009, 08:38:37 PM
It's interesting to read lists of 8 (or possibly more) predictions for shows to remain open five years from now. There are currently 3 shows (Phantom, Lion King and Wicked) that have been open close to or more than five years. It is very rare indeed.

The real question is which of these will close to make way for Billy Elliot on the list? Phantom is an institution, Wicked has unbelievable sales, and Lion King has huge backing to get it through the dry periods. Maybe a fourth in five y

re: Billy Elliot vs. Next to Normal
 Jul 28 2009, 08:23:01 AM
"My friend and I are arguing about the two. We haven't seen either shows."

So. Let me see if I got this right. You are arguing over a matter of opinion (Billy gets my vote, but N2N isn't bad). Neither of you has any actual information (like seeing either show). And you want others to join the argument?

Looks like you've come to the right place!

Enjoy the mêlée,

Ed

The new Billy Elliot love thread
 Jul 23 2009, 04:30:39 PM
Linda, I appreciate your clarification of my point.

B'way, please don't take things so personally. Not all communication is altercation. I'm sure Linda's comments and mine were intended as a friendly perspective (and certainly not the only valid one).

Ed

Jul 23 2009, 08:25:00 AM
"Thats my response to those questions and attacks so no one can question me anymore."

Ok then.

Jul 22 2009, 01:50:28 PM
Broadwaygirl, I know you are the OP for this thread, but at 32 pages and 777 posts (and growing) haven't we had enough "whose playing tonight?" questions?

I for one would like to see posts that will be interesting to read for more than 3 minutes after they are made. Sorry if this sounds insulting, but there are plenty of sources tracking who did what when...

After all, there are actually interesting things happening around this show (amazing ticket sales, people leaving, ne

re: The new Billy Elliot love thread
 Jul 3 2009, 05:18:41 PM
CG: Actually, this week was the first time Tommy played Billy to Keean's Michael so the question is academic.

Ed

re: How long will WWS be around for?
 Jun 14 2009, 09:41:20 PM
As long as there are threads whose titles end in prepositions...
re: Should the 3 Billys Have Won the Tony Award?
 Jun 14 2009, 09:04:52 AM
"Why is it, when we have an ACTUAL discussion where folks ACTUALLY are respectful..."

My point is that by definition, having this discussion AFTER the awards is NOT respectful and that's why you don't see the same topic about other award winners!

End the charade.

re: Should the 3 Billys Have Won the Tony Award?
 Jun 13 2009, 08:15:33 AM
Perhaps the thread title should be "Should Alice Ripley Have Won the Tony Award" or "Should Karen Olivo Have Won the Tony Award".

The facts are that (just like those mentioned above) these three met the criteria as determined by the nominating committee and voters. The results were not unanimous (are they ever?) but they are final. According to the people who count the answer to all three is YES. End of story, move on, quit complaining about it...

re: Best place to see Billy Elliot from?
 Jun 2 2009, 09:56:55 AM
Nice kitty, claws in please. Just because some people cannot stand to let a simple question go by without a snide remark, cannot stand it when someone has a different opinion than them, cannot allow a positive comment to go unattacked, cannot get past petty jealousy over a great show's outstanding success...

re: Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/31
 Jun 2 2009, 06:03:47 AM
If you sort by % change, actually there are 12 shows with no 'dip' or an increase. Maybe it's just your fav.s that 'dipped'? Quit running around yelling 'the sky is falling!" It's not healthy.

I'm pretty sure they said they'd report previous week's revenue using the same rules now. Comparisons should be reasonable if they did.

I still wish they'd use valid algebraic rules for calculating % sold for the week (it's actually 80.5% for this week, NOT 78.75%)

re: Most forgotten Best Musical Winner?
 May 22 2009, 09:02:13 AM
I forget...
re: BILLY ELLIOT's score...
 May 21 2009, 12:20:45 PM
"The idea of policemen dancing with the ballerinas is ill conceived."

I too must disagree. DefyingGravity: Have you never seen a father-daughter dance at a recital, I think it's pretty standard fare. Fathers involved may be policemen, or teachers, or miners on strike. Solidarity is meant to show many things taking place over many weeks, rehearsal for a father-daughter number seems well concieved and shows how the factions have to interact even when not on the picket line.

Pe

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You