News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Dfgtoronto

Member Name: Dfgtoronto
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Going into Hamilton Blind  Jan 3 2019, 11:13:17 PM
If they have strong preferences one way or the other, I would support them. Otherwise, I would encourage them to listen to a few of the faster paced sections and see if they want to hear more or leave the rest until the performance. I saw it once without any pre-listening and again when I knew the show practically by heart. I loved it the first time but enjoyed it even more the second time. I hope you all have a great time! It's a wonderful show!
Best Musical Soundtracks ?  Dec 9 2018, 04:50:28 PM
If you are interested in older material, consider the City Center Encores recordings of Babes in Arms and Pal Joey. Has anyone mentioned the Music Man or Brigadoon?
Best Musical Soundtracks ?  Dec 9 2018, 04:20:27 PM
Many great ones have already been mentioned. I also love the Original Broadway Recordings of Ragtime, Fiddler on the Roof, West Side Story, South Pacific, Guys and Dolls, and Man of La Mancha, and the London recordings of Les Miserables and Billy Elliot. Newer favorites include the Falsettos and Dear Evan Hansen.
Shows that Seem Better on the Cast Recording than Seeing it Live  Sep 5 2018, 04:54:34 PM

This post interests me because I have had the experience more than once of liking but not loving a show in the theater, and then later on, falling in love with it after listening to the recording a few times. Hearing the recording enables me to catch and appreciate things I might have missed, and having the images from the live performance in my head has helped to bring the recording to life each time I listen to it. Having said all of that, I don't think the problem is with the productio

Happy Birthday Lenny  Aug 25 2018, 11:25:11 PM

Thanks for pointing this out. I still miss him and will always be grateful for his unique and wonderful contribution as a composer, conductor, pianist, and master teacher.

Tony Shalhoub  May 31 2018, 05:16:23 PM

Tony Shalhoub is great in the show but I wouldn't be too disheartened. It's not a larger than life role that calls for a star turn. It simply requires honest and emotionally sensitive acting. I bet the actor you see will deliver exactly what is needed. And you will be among the few who get to see this alternate take on the role. I hope you enjoy it.

OMG!!!! I just met Katrina Lenk!!!  May 31 2018, 05:03:07 PM
Congratulations on a wonderful first trip to Broadway. It sounds like you made the most of the opportunity. And you have a wonderful itinerary ahead of you. One thought about Hamilton: I saw it for the first time "cold." I loved it but I think I would have gotten even more out of it if I had listened to the recording in advance. I saw the show again when I knew it practically by heart and enjoyed it a lot more. You might be interested in what others have to say - some might disagree with me. Or
OMG!!!! I just met Katrina Lenk!!!  May 30 2018, 07:59:25 PM
Wow - sounds like your experience with the Band's Visit couldn't have been better! I'm so glad! Let us know how you like Hello Dolly.
The Bands Visit - Study Guide  May 27 2018, 04:16:31 PM
Wow - what a great combination! A classic favorite and a brand new hit (I loved the Band's Visit)! One other thing: I used to worry until the last minute about someone in the cast being out, and then I would feel very bad if there was an understudy in a major role. Then I read a wonderful post about what a rare privilege it is to see an alternative take on role that the general public will never see. And I've found it to be true. More often than not, I end up giving the understudy a standing ova
The Bands Visit - Study Guide  May 27 2018, 02:59:29 PM
A lot of people have agitated thoughts as they're about to leave for a trip. I certainly do. And then, as Impossible 2 wisely pointed out, things are almost always fine. You have my permission :) not to dwell on any thoughts you don't like. I hope you have a fun trip and really enjoy the show.
Zero Mostel in FIDDLER Footage  May 26 2018, 05:35:54 PM
I missed seeing Zero Mostel in the 1976 LA production by one night and greatly regretted it. There is very little live footage (that I'm aware of) of him in this role. Thank you for sharing this!
Happy 97th Birthday to Carol Channing!  Jan 31 2018, 01:55:40 PM
Like many, I saw her in the 90s revival of Hello Dolly. It was a very special evening. FYI: I love listening to her comments on the Broadway Deluxe Collector's Edition of the OBC recording. May she enjoy many more years of good health, joy, and fulfillment.
Band's Visit Seating Q  Jan 2 2018, 03:40:06 PM
I saw the show from the third row center of the orchestra and could not have been happier - with the seat or the show!
Here's to 2018 - and a special thank you!  Jan 1 2018, 11:31:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words and good wishes! Great to have you aboard with such positive energy! I hope the coming year brings many more meaningful and rewarding theater experiences. Happy New Year!
Books about R&H  Dec 23 2017, 12:05:28 PM
If you are only interested in books, this won't be helpful, but I love the documentary "Richard Rodgers: The Sweetest Sounds" which I have on DVD. The first half is about Rodgers and Hart and the second half is about Rodgers and Hammerstein. I learned a lot and there was some wonderful old footage.
Who is the greatest performer to have ever graced the broadway stage?  Dec 19 2017, 10:22:42 PM
I don't feel qualified to name THE greatest performer, but one performance that touched me very deeply was Joan Diener as Aldonza in Man of La Mancha. Her ability to communicate rage, despair, and tenderness with her voice was miraculous and her transformation from Aldonza to "Dulcinea" was electrifying. Richard Kiley was brilliant as Don Quixote, but for me, the evening belonged to Joan Diener.
The Band's Visit cast recording available for first listen ahead of streaming release on 12/15  Dec 15 2017, 01:24:59 PM
Whether or not to pre-listen is a question I often ask. I have sometimes regretted not listening in advance. With this show the only song I heard beforehand was Omar Sherif. I loved every minute of this show and think I would have been fine without hearing any of the songs prior to seeing it.
The Music Man with Dick Van Dyke  Dec 8 2017, 02:03:12 PM
Maybe Harold Hill wasn't his role, but Dick Van Dyke remains one of my all time favorite musical and comic actors.
Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night  Dec 3 2017, 11:22:48 PM
A new show by Rodgers and Hammerstein called Away We Go! received mixed reviews in New Haven and Boston. R & H spent half an hour writing a new song to insert toward the end of the show. In the next performance the new number proved a show stopper and the name of the show was changed to the name of the song - Oklahoma!
Lin-Manuel Kicks Butt  Oct 1 2017, 07:24:22 PM

Here is the website of Hispanic Federation, the organization to which Lin-Manuel Miranda is advising people to direct their donations:

https://hispanicfederation.org

They say that 100% of the money donated will go to hurricane relief in Puerto Rico.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You