pixeltracker

Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night

Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#1Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/2/17 at 6:01pm

Just a thought I've been having as I read through a lot of the Previews threads these days. I'm thinking about Mean Girls down in D.C. right now, and it seems like they're working on big changes based on feedback they're receiving during previews.

What are shows you remember that made genuinely noticeable changes between its first preview and opening night? I don't mean like a line tweak here or there—but like, cutting or adding an intermission, changing an ending, eliminating/adding songs...

Alexander Lamar
DaveyG
#3Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/2/17 at 6:08pm

Titanic was a mess at the first preview and although it didn’t end up being a perfect show, it vastly improved. Major, major changes - I was actually quite amazed.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/2/17 at 6:29pm

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN went thru extensive changes during previews. I mean, the original Act 2 opening number “Madrid” became the show’s opening number. That show kept changing every night during previews.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#5Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/2/17 at 6:31pm

13 was two acts at the first preview and only one act by opening. Both the act one finale and the act two opener were cut; many, many lines of dialogue were rewritten too.

Cry-Baby replaced the song "Class Dismissed" in act one with "A Whole Lot Worse" during previews, but a small reprise of "Class Dismissed" during the finale remained.

Impressionism was two acts at the first preview, but one act and (reportedly) massiviely cut down by opening.

Shuffle Along went through extensive rewrites. An actress was let go when her character was written out of the show.

Spider-man went through massive upheavals.

Honestly though, in the last decade very, very few shows go through substantial changes during previews. A few cosmetic fixes might occur, but usually I've found what you get at the first preview is essentially what you get by opening.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RndmAnswrs4RndmQstns
#6Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/2/17 at 7:58pm

Something Rotten took out a song and replaced it with Right Hand Man (Reprise). A change for the better, I believe; the original song wasn’t very good.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#7Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/2/17 at 8:12pm

Currently, Spongebob is making changes everyday for the Broadway production, when in Chicago the show stayed the same throughout the entire tryout.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#8Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/2/17 at 8:14pm

Also, if I recall right, the first 15 minutes of Gentleman's Guide was completely rewritten during Broadway previews.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#9Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/2/17 at 8:38pm

"The Wild Party" had major changes stylistically in the first section, and virtually every song was drastically altered or replaced from the first preview.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Dollypop
#10Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/2/17 at 8:51pm

HELLO, DOLLY!

Although the original production only played a handful of previews, a major overhaul was done out-of-town. The story goes that changes were so swift that the cast couldn't keep up with them., so they squeezed David Hartman with a script and flashlight into a barrel in Vandergelder's store so he could feed them their lines when needed.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 12/3/17 at 08:51 PM

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#11Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/2/17 at 8:52pm

Back in the winter of 1992 at the 6-week Chicago tryout of The Goodbye Girl at the Shubert, the show opened in a burger restaurant with a song by the 3 young girls of the cast and housekeeper Mrs Crosby - played by Carol Woods.

The number and scene was entirely cut after one week.

Going forward, Bernadette Peters "No More" scene 2 number started the show.

The Mrs. Crosby character was then left with only one number - the crowd pleasing, showstopping "2 Good 2 B Bad" in Act 2.

Many years later, Martin Short paid loving tribute to the circumstance in Fame Becomes Me with the wonderful number "Stop the Show".

Updated On: 12/2/17 at 08:52 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#13Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 1:30am

If/Then, specifically the opening number.

Circus acts were sort out during Pippin between their first preview and opening if that counts. Rachel Bay Jones also had a little bit more to do as the clown in act 1 if I remember correctly.

moncruzz
bowtie7
#15Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 8:59am

check out Second Act Trouble: Behind the Scenes at Broadway's Big Musical Bombs by Steven Suskin.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#16Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 11:47am

Saw Dear Evan Hansen's second Off-Broadway preview and its first Broadway preview. The ending had changed, and it changed for the better.

hamiltonstradition
#17Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 12:35pm

They changed the 2nd song in Finding Neverland 4 times. The original ART one, a new one for 1st Preview, a completely re-composed version for opening. Then they reworked the entire show for tour.

Dollypop
#18Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 12:39pm

SEESAW

The changes were so swift and drastic that what was listed in Playbills had no resemblance to what was being performed on stage.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#19Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 1:09pm

I don’t know if it made it to previews, but The Book of Mormon originally had a truly dark twist ending that was cut but can be heard on the composer demo.

schubox
#20Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 2:37pm

MusicAndPassion said: "Saw Dear Evan Hansen's second Off-Broadway preview and its first Broadway preview. The ending had changed, and it changed for the better."

What changed?

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#21Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 2:53pm

darquegk said: "I don’t know if it made it to previews, but The Book of Mormon originally had a truly dark twist ending that was cut but can be heard on the composer demo."

What exactly was different that made it so dark?

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#22Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 3:00pm

I'd love to hear the twist too.

ARTc3
#23Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 3:25pm

Wicked previewed in San Francisco and then took a hiatus to accommodate the changes before starting performances on Broadway.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#24Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 3:41pm

The original twist was that the Africans took Arnold Cunningham's messianic statements to their logical extreme. Conflating him with Christ, and their hunger with the Last Supper, they convert to both Mormonism and cannibalism, "taking and eating" Arnold and the other Mormon missionaries sent to save them. Instead of the final implication being that Arnold inadvertently started a new religion, the ending implies that the Africans will continue to practice their version of Mormonism by eating every missionary sent to them.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#25Shows That Implemented Substantial Changes Between First Preview and Opening Night
Posted: 12/3/17 at 3:58pm

darquegk said: "The original twist was that the Africans took Arnold Cunningham's messianic statements to their logical extreme. Conflating him with Christ, and their hunger with the Last Supper, they convert to both Mormonism and cannibalism, "taking and eating" Arnold and the other Mormon missionaries sent to save them. Instead of the final implication being that Arnold inadvertently started a new religion, the ending implies that the Africans will continue to practice their version of Mormonism by eating every missionary sent to them."

Videos