News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MikeH

MikeH Profile Photo
Member Name: MikeH
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

licensing Jekyll and Hyde...
 Jul 30 2008, 04:33:03 PM
Just a few years ago it seemed that MTI offered 2 different scripts/scores for Jekyll. I'm pretty sure one of them even included "Girls of the Night". I just received an email back from MTI saying that they only license one script (no "Girls"), although it does have the option of putting "No One Knows Who I Am" back in (though I don't know if it's in the first or second act).

So the question is, was there ever really an option of two different scripts before? I know that the Fullerto

re: CARRIE: broadway pit orchestra
 Mar 26 2008, 08:28:08 PM
I think Carolee Carmello would make a fantastic Margaret White. She has that same emotionally fragile yet piercing tone that Buckley has.

One day.....

CARRIE: broadway pit orchestra
 Mar 25 2008, 11:56:08 AM
I'm looking for a listing of the instruments/pit members from the broadway production. Can anyone who has the program help me out?

Thanks!

re: HAIRSPRAY Questions answered here! (inevitable Spoilers)
 Jul 29 2007, 12:18:16 AM
Hi Marc!

I was wondering what your composition/arranging process is like. Do you work with computers/synthesizers, notation, or a combination of both?

the movie was absolutely fantastic and I'm on my way to a third viewing tomorrow :)

re: Dance of the Vampires
 Feb 2 2007, 11:56:05 AM
The Warsaw recording is fantastic. And yes, it does contain mostly all of the orchestration changes/cuts that were made to the show after the original cast.
re: Irresponsible Sound Design?
 Dec 15 2006, 11:46:41 PM
One of my friends worked for a show where the director absolutely hated black-outs for scene transitions. He said "I hate 'em! Gives the audience time to realize this show isn't very good!" I think that's also the case with some of the in-your-face sound levels today- what better way to try and disguise a mediocre show than with an ear-blasting sound system? Do directors and production staff actually believe that the audience will buy that?

I know this doesn't apply to all loud show

re: Dance of the Vampires and Urinetown
 Dec 15 2006, 09:51:31 PM
Do you think Tanz will ever get an English production, perhaps in the West End?

re: Irresponsible Sound Design?
 Dec 15 2006, 09:40:51 PM
The touring shows I've seen aren't nearly as loud as the sit-down productions, probably for the same reasons you stated lildogs. I'm young and recently had a wake-up call and realized how precious my hearing is to me as a musician and sound designer. Board ops and designers need to take responsibility for the health risks that they expose audiences to when they push the sound past safe levels regardless of what directors/producers demand (I know, easier said than done). Until science figures o
re: Dance of the Vampires and Urinetown
 Dec 15 2006, 09:24:30 PM
For what it's worth, I thought that DOTV was much more enjoyable during previews than it was in the final version. There was a lot of music carried over from Tanz that was cut away during previews. While the final version was better paced and slicker, it wasn't nearly as fun. And both versions don't even hold a candle to Tanz, although I enjoyed some of the new music.
I wish Broadway.com still had the rehearsal and opening night footage of DOTV. When exactly did Steinman decide to wal

Irresponsible Sound Design?
 Dec 14 2006, 11:20:32 PM
What are your feelings on the state of amplification in theatre today? I think that things have gotten way out of hand and designers are being pressured to just turn things up to unintelligible and deafening levels. There's an interesting interview with Tony Meola where he talks about this- I guess the blame can also be put on directors and producers as well.

http://www.meyersound.com/applications/story.php?type=15&id=308

I've heard horror stories about the sound levels at some shows like "Dance of the Vampires". It's a fine line between good sound levels and bad. I personally try my best to keep levels comfortable yet supportive to the show. I'd rather the audience leave the show without any headaches and hearing damage. It just saddens me because hearing loss is cumulative and cannot be regenerated and yet some people are blatantly pushing levels past what is safe.

I know that this can be dangerous for both audience members and for the musicians in the pit, but can it also be bad for the actors onstage since they are essentially behind the wall of sound? For big musicals do performers onstage have their own monitors or do they just go off of what they hear from the house speakers and orchestra pit? I know there are some pit musicians who post here and I'd really like to hear your input as well!

It's easy for us to avoid obnoxiously loud movie theaters and wait for the DVD to watch it in a comfortable environment, but what about live theatre?

re: 'Karaoke' for Dirty Rotten and Dance of the Vampires
 Mar 19 2006, 11:39:02 AM
There's a very good CD with backing tracks to DOTV (Tanz) available at footlight.com I believe it's called "The Musicals of Jim Steinman"....
re: Carpe Noctem
 Dec 12 2005, 06:17:47 PM
One of my favorite shows....I really want to see the rehearsal and opening night footage that was on Broadway.com a while ago, but they've removed it. Does anyone know if the clips are anywhere else on the web?
vocal warmup/workout cd
 Oct 12 2005, 04:53:33 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for vocal warmup/workout cds? I'm working on speech level singing, and I've already got Seth's program, but I was looking to expand and start working on additional exercises. Anyone?

Thanks~

re: Who's your favorite Phantom?
 Oct 7 2005, 01:25:12 PM
Speaking of Timothy Nolen, here's an interesting interview I found awhile ago where he talks about singing the Phantom. The Phantom bit is near the middle....

http://www.usoperaweb.com/2003/spring/nolen.htm

re: 'If I Can't Love Her'
 Oct 5 2005, 07:38:53 PM
Hey there,
Try this site...

www.musicnotes.com

Les Mis: Confrontation backing track?
 Sep 17 2005, 01:40:43 AM
Does anyone know if Confrontation is available anywhere else besides the 2disc karaoke set? Does any sheet music exist (publicly) for the song? I would like to perform it at an upcoming show and I'm getting a little desperate. Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike~

re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
 Jul 28 2005, 10:36:00 PM
Did the revival have a curtain call/bow? The production I was involved in didn't, just because it didn't SEEM like the type of show that should have one.
re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
 Jul 27 2005, 11:58:31 PM
One of my favorite anecdotes from our production was the "Tomorrow" scene. In the revival, I believe that it was just the Emcee and a record player, correct? Anyway for ours we had the Kit Kat Band elevated over the stage, so with that there were various walkways/platforms available for unique staging purposes.

For that one scene instead of a record player, we actually had a little boy with a boy scout uniform on come to the lip of the stage (small intimate theater). He was lit by on

re: Dracula question
 Jul 25 2005, 11:39:18 PM
Here's a link to some large gorgeous pics:

re: Ford Center- chicago
 Jul 13 2005, 11:26:21 PM
Thanks so much!

Michael~

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You