Cabaret-- a Discussion

Emcee4ever
#0Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:07pm

Although Cabaret isn't on Broadway for now, it's still a favorite of many. (Including me!) ^__^

This is the thread to talk about it! :)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:18pm

You've gotta jump-start it better than that! What shall we discuss?

There are a lot of fans on here, though. I miss it.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#2re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:23pm

Q: Is the Emcee a victim or a conspirator? And is the answer different for Joel Grey's Emcee and Alan Cumming's Emcee?

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

AmandaJ
#3re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:25pm

In the Alan Cummings version - the emcee is a victim.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#4re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:27pm

Had I seen it live, this would be my second favorite show.

Emcee4ever
#5re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:27pm

What was the scariest part of Cabaret, in your opinion?
Mine was the Finale mostly because I had no clue what was going on (I only have the soundtrack). The discordant music and the rumbling made it even scarier. Even the drum roll and cymbal clash at the end seemed oppressive.

Coupled with Cliff, the loudspeaker voice, and the Emcee's lines, I thin it's the scariest finale to a play ever!

But that's just me. :)

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#6re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:30pm

"She wouldn't look Jewish at all" followed by the scary grin/run offstage.

luvtheEmcee
#7re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:31pm

To Priest's question, it differed. Joel Grey once compared his Emcee to an incarnation of Hitler. The revival's Emcee was a victim - a representation of everything that would be destroyed.

The scariest part? The finale, no doubt. Those bright lights, and the rumbling... it sounded like a train was going to crash into the theatre. And if it was played well, the actor playing Emcee *actually* looked like he was going to die, which tore my heart out. One of THE most unforgettable moments of theatre I've ever experienced, and just as impactful, even on repeat visits.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#8re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:35pm

I really liked the part when Sally was taken off somewhere at the very end, looking like the Grim Reeper, what with her hood and all.

Emcee4ever
#9re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:37pm

That sounds scary just reading it. :o

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#10re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:38pm

The Master of Ceremonies is a commentator. He is very Puckish. Playing both victim and instigator. Everything that takes place inside the club comments on what is happening beyond its walls.
Now, if you are referring to the ending, it has always been implied even if subtly, as in the original that he would die. The last revival just took it to the next level.

One of the beautiful things about this show is that it is often left to the audiences interpretation.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

luvtheEmcee
#11re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:39pm

Sounds a bit like Streetcar, Thenardier...

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#12re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:40pm

For those of you who saw it, who was your Emcee and Sally? I saw Adam Pascal and Susan Egan -- BRILLIANT!!

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#13re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:42pm

Same actress....same theatre....same ceiling fans....

Sans tables, chairs...but same bar....

shameless Profile Photo
shameless
#14re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:44pm

When I saw Cabaret, the Emcee was actually wearing a Nazi camp uniform at the end. Is he not usually wearing one?

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
luvtheEmcee
#16re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:46pm

Thenardier - heh. Re: the venue. I know... I know. And the same giant martini glass, to boot!

His outfit seems to depend on the production. In the revival, he did wear that.

I saw Susan Egan each time - once with Jon Secada (ugh.) and twice with The Adam. Loved every minute of the latter.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#17re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:47pm

The scariest part to me has always been Tomorrow Belongs To Me beause it's such a beautiful song -- but SO tinted with evil.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#18re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:47pm

It is not written in the script that way but many productions use it. Especially ones that occurred after the last revival. When I played The Master of Ceremonies I wore one.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#19re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:48pm

Yes, the martini glass.

I was going to say "over-sized wine bottle"....but that's where I work...

I'd love to drink a Chili's 'El President' out of that glass.

luvtheEmcee
#20re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:48pm

Tomorrow... was scary too, but I guess pretty dependent on who the Emcee was - and how many chances he took in being really... playful, for lack of a better term, with the audience. You know, on just *how* sinister he wanted to make it. VERY, very creepy.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#21re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:49pm

Oh, Sally's "rape" was very creepy as well.

Emcee4ever
#22re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:52pm

Sally's rape? What are you talking about?

shameless Profile Photo
shameless
#23re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:54pm

I never looked at the Emcee as being an instigator, mainly because, in the production I saw, you saw him being dragged off to the camps. And in the film, I never saw him as anything more than a performer, but it's an interesting point of view.

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson

luvtheEmcee
#24re: Cabaret-- a Discussion
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:59pm

Nard's kidding. We saw Natasha Richardson in Streetcar at Studio 54 - same place where she originated Sally.

Videos