News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Usnavi

Usnavi Profile Photo
Member Name: Usnavi
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Josie De Guzman: A Girl Named "Maria" in "West Side Story"  Jan 23 2009, 09:50:57 PM
A great interview with the talented Josie De Guzman who talks about her role in the 1980 revival of "West Side Story"

It's in Spanish, though.

re: KAREN OLIVO on Playing Anita in West Side Story  Jan 21 2009, 06:39:08 PM
"It's bad interviewing skills to ask an actress how much of her performance is Rita Moreno and Chita Rivera and her relatives. It's also rude."

PalJoey, he didn't ask her how much of her performance is Rita Moreno and Chita Rivera and her relatives. The question asked was:

What is different in the way you play Anita than others who have played it before - Chita Rivera and Rita Moreno, for example?

I fail to see what is rude about that question. It's

re: Calling All In The Heights Fans of Lin Manuel Miranda Fans!  Jan 19 2009, 12:24:57 PM
< i love u.
i'll miss u.
can't wait 4 the movie!

re: WEST SIDE STORY Reviews....?  Jan 11 2009, 11:31:56 PM
I finally went to see the show last night. This is the first professional production of WSS I've ever seen. It's my all time favorite musical and the film version is one of my favorite films, easily in the top 5 films of all time. When this revival was first announced I was extremely excited. After like what it seemed like the 10,000th revival of GYPSY had been produced WSS was finally being given it's long over due Broadway bound revival.
I was intrigued with the possibilities of Laurents r

re: WEST SIDE STORY Reviews....?  Jan 10 2009, 12:05:52 PM
Oh, I see where you are coming from PalJoey.

In re-reading your original post I have to agree with your assessment. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

re: WEST SIDE STORY Reviews....?  Jan 10 2009, 06:53:39 AM
"They could be the neighborhood cops on the old Abbott and Costello show. But they bear no relation to police today.

And Doc and his candy store don't exist anymore."

Of course not. But since when is WSS supposed to be contemporary?

The show was written in the late 1950s and it's supposed to reflect that time period, not today's.

re: WEST SIDE STORY Reviews....?  Jan 9 2009, 12:58:50 AM
WEST SIDE STORY is my ALL TIME favorite musical so when Laurents decided to take it upon himself and revive it with the changes he had in mind I guess I expected a lot more than what eventually was done with the piece.

So far I find the overall "look" of the show very unappealing. It doesn't strike me as a show about gang warfare in the urban ghettos of New York City. I don't think that bright orange is a color a real New York City gang would choose to wear and with that the realism goe

re: WEST SIDE STORY Reviews....?  Jan 8 2009, 12:30:37 PM
mr. laurents certainly failed to deliver on a "grittier", "darker", "edgier" WSS.

the costumes are all in pastels! bright blues, teal, purple, lavender?!! more appropriate for a revival of BYE BYE BIRDIE if you ask me.

the gang members do not look menacing at all. according to laurents they are supposed to be killers. they look like the would convene at the local bally's and do each other in the shower stalls.

HAiR Remake?  Jan 6 2009, 02:41:27 PM
with all the talk of remakes lately i've been thinking about some shows that probably would benefit from one.

i am in no way knocking the 1979 film version but everyone here knows that the original show was totally re-imagined for the screen.

should HAiR be remade as a feature film that is more faithful/representative of the vision of it's original creators Ragni, Rado & MacDermor or should the new revival be eventually filmed at some point?

re: Scenes from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY revival  Jan 6 2009, 02:23:43 PM
Interesting thoughts on race and culture by Miss De Guzman:

I think there has been a basic confusion about what it means to be Hispanic. Hispanic is a cultural and linguistic distinction, not a racial one. There are Asian Hispanics, Black Hispanics, Caucasian Hispanics, and Indian Hispanics, as well as combinations of all four. In the performing arts, this confusion has been most apparent in the area of casting, especially non-traditional casting.

I am Puerto Rican; I a

re: Scenes from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY revival  Jan 6 2009, 02:20:16 PM
^ oh how come mierda of you

re: A Little Night Music?  Jan 6 2009, 11:45:48 AM
maybe punk should seek out the long out of print motion picture soundtrack?
re: Scenes from 1980 WEST SIDE STORY revival  Jan 6 2009, 11:44:06 AM
wow! what treasures! wss is my ALL TIME favorite musical. i was wondering the other day about this cast and was disappointed to find out their was no recording.

thank u, thank u, thank u 4 sharing!!!!

re: Palace Theatre: Home of WEST SIDE STORY  Jan 6 2009, 11:37:11 AM
hey i've got a great idea for those of you who don't like the west side story marquee and prefer the legally blonde one.

why don't you all write the producers of the show or even mr. laurents himself and ask them if they could please just change the marquee to the legally blonde one because it's more pleasing to the eye.

re: BYE BYE BIRDIE MOVIE REMAKE  Jan 6 2009, 11:22:12 AM
nope. nothing. absolutely nothing at all. sorry.

re: Cole Porter and Anything Goes  Jan 5 2009, 11:34:33 AM
"My favorite review of "Cybill Shepherd Does It to Cole Porter" was...
"Why? What did Cole Porter ever do to her?"

LMAO!!!

re: CHITA'S AT THE PALACE...!  Jan 5 2009, 10:47:19 AM
God, all that BLACK!! Are they headed to a funeral?
re: Cole Porter and Anything Goes  Jan 5 2009, 10:44:07 AM
I beg to differ MrMidwest but no Cole Porter collection is complete without:

re: RIP Pat Hingle  Jan 5 2009, 10:40:01 AM
Great character actor. I remember him as Warren Beatty's over bearing father in SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS (1961).
re: Steel Magnolias  Jan 5 2009, 10:39:10 AM
"And THAT is why it didn't make a great play, IMO.

You are so wrong. STEEL MAGNOLIAS is an excellent play that is why it was adapted for the screen so quickly. It made an impact.
I saw the original production at the Lucille Lortel and I saw the film when it opened 2 years later and marveled at how wonderfully
the material was adapted for the screen. That it was successful as both a play and a movie speaks for itself.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You