News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for CPB2

Member Name: CPB2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Making of musicals?  Dec 12 2017, 10:27:06 AM

...The Producers...

Hamilton in London  Dec 8 2017, 08:22:15 PM

rjm516 said: "I really hope they're aren't a lot of lyric changes - so unnecessary!"

Early reports are just a couple small tweaks- "Vice President isn't a real job anyway" instead of "John Adams", and "New Jersey, Dawn" instead of "Weehawken"

Honestly, I'm not sure most Americans have ever heard of Weehawken unless they've traversed the Lincoln Tunnel.

Mean Girls Reviews and Updates Thread  Dec 7 2017, 05:45:19 PM

Wherein Tina Fey promises updates to jokes and music, hints at possibly making a surprise cameo as Ms. Norbury in a non-singing scene during previews, and tells a killer 2-part Harvey Weinstein joke:

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/12/tina-fey-mean-girls-musical-cameo

SPONGEBOB Reviews  Dec 5 2017, 09:19:14 PM

https://nypost.com/2017/12/05/the-spongebob-musical-could-be-a-surprise-hit/

The plan is to exploit an untapped market: families who want to go to the theater, but who’ve been scared away by skyrocketing ticket prices and the sense that Broadway is only for the 1 percent.

“SpongeBob” has lots of tickets to sell at a reasonable price. Before the show opened Monday, it was averaging $78 a ticket. That’s clicked up to about $98, which is still a steal compared to what people are paying to see Bette Midler in “Hello, Dolly!” and Bruce Springsteen in that little show of his.

“There’s a market they’re going for, and they should,” says a top theater executive. “Will they make back $20 million on Broadway? No. But the show is good; there will be a tour, and it can be done all over the world.”

SPONGEBOB Reviews  Dec 4 2017, 10:40:34 PM

Jarethan said: "...he said that the lead could very well be at risk of becoming as associated with this role as Alan Cumming and Carol Channing were with theirs. I saw that as a pretty incredible observation, again IMO."

Another thing to read into that is a vote of confidence that the show will be around long enough for such an impression to take hold.

Titanic Broadway Revival!!!  Dec 3 2017, 05:03:50 PM

Any links to criticism or reviews in English of the Korean production? I'm particularly curious what the response is like in a country where a large maritime disaster (Sewol ferry) is very much a part of recent memory. It must resonate differently there.

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Dec 1 2017, 09:40:06 AM

CPB2 said: "So did they switch up the Garrison Keillor joke last night? (Takes the place of Ladysmith Black Mambazo from the movie.)"

Guess not, but I bet they will soon if they haven't already: https://twitter.com/njerieaton/status/936102675128766464

Ticketmaster or StubHub?  Nov 30 2017, 11:19:32 PM

Anakela said: "Can you just post them for sale on both, and then delete the listing on the site with the higher markup/fees?"

I'm pretty sure Ticketmaster fees are higher across the board, but it has some advantages. For the seller, good placement and visibility on the official seat map on the official ticketing website. For the buyer, guaranteed legitimacy as the old barcodes are cancelled and new ones issued. StubHub's protection is generally well rega

Ticketmaster or StubHub?  Nov 30 2017, 11:06:14 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "They will obviously mark-up the tickets to the market value regardless what you sell it to them for.

That's not how it works. You don't sell it to "them". (Unless you're referring to low priced tickets being grabbed by someone for resale, which is a possibility.)

Stubhub used to be a flat 15% fee for the seller, 10% for the buyer. Now it's a little more mixed up, the seller pays a little less and the buyer pays mor

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Nov 30 2017, 07:04:11 AM

So did they switch up the Garrison Keillor joke last night? (Takes the place of Ladysmith Black Mambazo from the movie.)

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Nov 29 2017, 11:53:36 AM

EPDD1000 said: "So the entire song with Cady and Aaron in the bedroom after "Whose House is This" is cut too then?

Also, I saw the show post-puppet... what was the use of the puppet in the show!?
"

The bedroom scene is still there and is one of the best in the show IMO. There was a different scene where Cady visits Aaron's house for tutoring, and this is where she learns that he's lying about his address to get into the school dis

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Nov 29 2017, 11:28:59 AM

Saw it again last night, and compared to the first preview, they've made many changes, almost all for the better. The opening number has been largely restructured, although it still takes the same form as a future assembly for new students. As others have mentioned, the scene at Aaron's apartment has been dropped in favor of moving that exposition to a few lines in other scenes. Almost every song has been trimmed down (other than Stupid With Love, which I think has expanded).

G

Hamilton Tix 11/24 2pm  Nov 22 2017, 05:40:54 PM

chuckydisc said: "What IS the face-value?"

I think $229 + fees for this batch of dates.

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Nov 22 2017, 02:29:58 PM

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Cliques will always be relevant. Just human nature to be friends with people with similar interests to you. There hasn't been some radical transformation since 2004 that everyone holds hands and skips down the hallways together."

I agree with all of that. I just think social media popularity and extension of self is a lot more central and relevant now than shown here, in ways that subvert the social hierarchy a bit (of course there still is on

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Nov 22 2017, 12:02:52 PM

CindersGolightly said: "I graduated high school in 2015, and all four years were certainly very, very, veryclique-driven."

Like Mean Girls?

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Nov 22 2017, 10:34:30 AM

I also agree with that review the most out of the ones I've read, but I still have one more issue that hasn't been much discussed: I don't think being set in the present day makes sense. Peitzman says, "it would be nice to see the show reckon with these [bullying] dynamics in a sharper, more culturally current way." The social media stuff is handled deftly, but my impression of the high school experience these days (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, high schooler

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Nov 20 2017, 09:46:24 PM

Mean Girls @ The National in DC - Reactions  Nov 19 2017, 10:04:30 PM

Peter Marks review in Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/mean-girls-fans-tina-feys-musical-is-a-singing-dancing-revenge-party-and-its-funny/2017/11/19/e52aa21c-cce4-11e7-b244-2d22ac912500_story.html

Paul Harris in Variety: http://variety.com/2017/legit/reviews/mean-girls-pre-broadway-review-1202618735/

Broadway Songs related to Macbeth Act 3  Nov 16 2017, 05:11:31 PM

MarkBearSF said: "dianamorales said: "Take A Break from Hamilton references the whole play, including act 3 (Burnham Wood to Dunsinane), if that works...."

I've always thought those lines were a clever way of avoiding the Macbeth curse.
"

It sets up that way, then he goes and just says Macbeth in the next line. Works great as a joke, and the show seems to have done allright despite the curse. It's pretty downhill for the chara

Walking tours of Hamilton sites in NYC?  Nov 15 2017, 05:50:51 PM

Fraunces Tavern (& Museum), near the other sites in Lower Manhattan. It's not mentioned by name in the show but "My Shot" and "The Story of Tonight" are basically set there.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You