Ticketmaster or StubHub?

openstage2
#1Ticketmaster or StubHub?
Posted: 11/30/17 at 9:23pm

I'm honestly asking this just for information - not to drum up interest in my tickets.   How much mark up and fees do each one add to a pair of Hamilton tickets I'm trying to sell?  I've contacted Ticketmaster and StubHub and not gotten any response. I am not interested in any big profit, but I'm afraid they will mark them up with ridiculous fees etc... Does anyone have any info on which is better for a seller to keep the price low?  I've seen the show last summer and prefer not to gouge people.

Thanks

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2Ticketmaster or StubHub?
Posted: 11/30/17 at 10:13pm

They will obviously mark-up the tickets to the market value regardless what you sell it to them for.

If you don’t want to gouge a consumer then sell the tickets on your own. Like on eBay. This is the ONLY way you can control any unethical price mark-up.

CPB2
#3Ticketmaster or StubHub?
Posted: 11/30/17 at 11:06pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "They will obviously mark-up the tickets to the market value regardless what you sell it to them for.

That's not how it works. You don't sell it to "them". (Unless you're referring to low priced tickets being grabbed by someone for resale, which is a possibility.)

Stubhub used to be a flat 15% fee for the seller, 10% for the buyer. Now it's a little more mixed up, the seller pays a little less and the buyer pays more, but it's still in that ballpark. I believe StubHub and Ticketmaster allow you to calibrate the price you want to receive and it will mark up accordingly with their fee structure.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#4Ticketmaster or StubHub?
Posted: 11/30/17 at 11:11pm

^^^ That is correct. 

EDITED: Ticketmaster has apparently changed its fee policy since the last time I sold tickets. Now, TM will subtract a fee from your proceeds. It seems to be around $93 per ticket. 

Updated On: 12/3/17 at 11:11 PM

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#5Ticketmaster or StubHub?
Posted: 11/30/17 at 11:11pm

Can you just post them for sale on both, and then delete the listing on the site with the higher markup/fees?

CPB2
#6Ticketmaster or StubHub?
Posted: 11/30/17 at 11:19pm

Anakela said: "Can you just post them for sale on both, and then delete the listing on the site with the higher markup/fees?"

I'm pretty sure Ticketmaster fees are higher across the board, but it has some advantages. For the seller, good placement and visibility on the official seat map on the official ticketing website. For the buyer, guaranteed legitimacy as the old barcodes are cancelled and new ones issued. StubHub's protection is generally well regarded, though.

Nothing's stopping you from listing on both but you better be quick to take down the other listing when it sells because if both sell you'll have a real mess on your hands.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#7Ticketmaster or StubHub?
Posted: 11/30/17 at 11:25pm

CPB2 said: "

Nothing's stopping you from listing on both but you better be quick to take down the other listing when it sells because if both sell you'll have a real mess on your hands."

Oh yeah, I definitely didn’t mean keep both listings up for any length of time! Rather just as a shortcut to figuring out the fees on each. 

MtTemple4 Profile Photo
MtTemple4
#8Ticketmaster or StubHub?
Posted: 12/1/17 at 12:40am

You can easily learn the fees without actually listing for sale. Just start to go through the process of selling with each and you’ll see. Then you do not need to finalize. There’s no penalty or risk involved and you’ll then have the info you need. 

Videos