News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for thattreegurl

thattreegurl Profile Photo
Member Name: thattreegurl
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

So, tell us about yourself.  Jun 21 2018, 12:54:38 PM

Hey all! Frequent lurker, rare poster. I'm in my early 20s, grew up in the midwest but I go to college in the city.  I see as many shows as I can during the school year before I go home for the summer and take in the theatre here(I literally spend my summer in Ohio lol). I fell in love with theatre when my mother took me to the Chicago sit-down right around when it opened, I was in elementary school and I've been hooked ever since. I was a show choir kid in high school, and

Shows You Grew to Dislike After Being Involved With a Production of It?  Jan 6 2018, 10:10:12 AM

Meet Me in St. Louis

Springsteen Merchandise  Jan 5 2018, 05:59:28 PM

I'm not entirely sure about the hours, but I do know that the shop is currently located at the lobby level of the Crowne Plaza, which has an entrance on 48th very close to the theater. Hope that helps!

Musical cliches and tropes that should go away already  Sep 26 2017, 03:51:35 PM

GavestonPS said: "thattreegurl said: "Song reprises(usually the opening number)as scene transitions. It's so so lazy"

Richard Rodgers didn't invent but developed that tradition, not out of laziness, but because he knew that the more times an audience hears a tune, the more likely they are to be humming it when they leave the theater. He was really the first composer to have not just hit songs, but hit scores.

Nowadays, of cour

Musical cliches and tropes that should go away already  Sep 26 2017, 11:19:21 AM

Song reprises(usually the opening number)as scene transitions. It's so so lazy  

SUNDAY revival recoups and cast recording released in June  Sep 22 2017, 12:16:51 AM

This recording really is so, so gorgeous. That orchestra alone is so enveloping, immersive, expansive. The wait was absolutely worth it for this one.

Michael Friedman has passed away  Sep 10 2017, 12:35:39 AM

Such a sad, sudden loss. For some reason all I can listen to is The Tuba Song from his Love's Labor's Lost. All the great work he left behind will be treasured for years to come.

Is Beautiful worth seeing  Sep 9 2017, 04:56:44 PM

You're not missing much by skipping it, imo, unless you love Carole King. It's very much like sitting through a review of her songs(here's this song! Now this one, you know this one!). If you want to see it, by all means have a great time, but if you only have so much time in the city and could take it or leave it, I'd leave it.

Favorite/Least Favorite Characters to Grace Broadway?  Sep 4 2017, 11:50:40 PM

I love Edna Turnblad so much. Her arc is so lovely and empowering. Plus her songs are all so fun to listen to.

I LOATHE Marius. He is so whiny and manipulative to me. Can't stand him.

What Are Five Broadway Songs Guaranteed to Make You Cry?  Aug 29 2017, 10:51:46 AM

Sunday - Sunday in the Park with George 

Unlikely Lovers - Falsettos

Midnight Radio - Hedwig

Self Portrait - A Class Act

You Don't Know This Man - Parade 

What does your name mean?  Jul 17 2017, 06:08:36 PM

When I was 15 I had a tree fall on me and was referred to as "that tree girl" for the rest of high school. I just kinda stuck with it

MARVIN'S ROOM Reviews  Jun 29 2017, 10:20:11 PM

I actually agree with a lot of Mr. Green's assessment of this production(and play, honestly). I did however, disagree with his final statement about the wound having healed. Scott was a fairly close family friend, and watching his work on Broadway all these years later, I was struck by how fresh that wound felt to me.

Granted, that is a personal anecdote that is hard to remove myself from, so perhaps take it with a grain of salt :) 

Favorite Cast Recording of the 16/17 Season?  Jun 28 2017, 10:09:46 PM

I really do love Dolly and Falsettos for revivals. New musicals, I think my favorites are Comet and DEH.

What was your biggest  Jun 3 2017, 11:15:31 AM

At the closing performance of SITPWG, seeing Stephen Sondheim in the flesh. It left me literally speechless. 

Overrated Musicals Of The Last Ten Years  May 27 2017, 03:13:23 PM

I still to this day do not understand the love that Rent gets. Every time I saw it, it got more unbearable, preachy and, frankly, offensive in some respects. 

What are the most exciting things are you looking for this season?  May 24 2017, 09:59:16 PM

My aunt was really close with Scott McPherson, since they grew up in the same area and went to the same university, so I'm so thrilled to see Marvin's Room coming this season!

2017 TONY Awards Performances  May 19 2017, 10:04:23 AM

Andrew Rannells said in the awards chatter podcast last week that Falsettos is performing on the broadcast.

Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony  Apr 28 2017, 04:04:57 PM

I have to say I'm a little baffled at some that are saying Lucas is phoning it in.

There are many things one could say about that performance, and that is not one that jumps to my mind.

Broadway week on the today show  Apr 27 2017, 11:30:33 AM

Oof, such a bad choice for GHD. And it's a shame too, cause the show(and that number)are fantastic on stage.

BANDSTAND Reviews  Apr 26 2017, 07:39:28 PM

I'm honestly a little shocked by some of these reviews. I found this show to be so incredibly middle of the road and bland. But I guess it really is speaking to some!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You