pixeltracker

Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony

Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#1Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 5:02am

Having seen both shows twice I think it would be a sin if Lucas Steele didn't win or even nominated for featured. I love Gavin C, have spoken with him several times...a dedicated and deserving win also, and a terribly nice and giving actor.

However Lucas Steele is giving a performance you could not imagine "on paper", violin, choreography, he's in terrific voice; even with some of Comet's perceived "flaws" (which I don't understand), you should see Lucas' performance.

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 5:04am

Agreed!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#3Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 8:56am

Agreed. Lucas is my pick but I wouldn't be mad if Gavin did win.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Emmaloucbway
#4Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 9:04am

I agree!! I love Gavin Creel and his Dolly performance, but Lucas is definitely one of the highlights of Great Comet, and my pick for Featured Actor as well.

His final Anatole scene in the show when he belts a high C# is Tony worthy alone Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony 

Nycat63
#5Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 9:04am

Have to agree too and add to the reasons the extreme physicality of the show for Lucas (those stairs!) and the heightened pressure of having part of the audience right there next to you able to see every move and facial expression.  Almost superhuman when you put it all together.  

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#6Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 9:10am

I did see Comet with Lucas' understudy and while he was good, he didn't have the spark Lucas has. Anatole really disappeared with the understudy (especially during "Balaga/The Abduction"Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony, which made me appreciate what Lucas does even more.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#7Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 12:25pm

Agreed!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#8Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 12:27pm

Both are deserving but it really should go to Lucas!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Rainah
#9Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 3:00pm

Strongly agree. Lucas is incredible. When he starts doing that high stepping dance, while playing the violin, while singing... oh man

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#10Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 3:07pm

Saw Lucas Steele just last month and he it seemed like he was just phoning it in. Gavin Creel, on the other hand...

Gavin gets my vote!

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

PaulWom
#11Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 3:08pm

WayTooBroadway said: "Saw Lucas Steele just last month and he it seemed like he was just phoning it in. Gavin Creel, on the other hand...

Gavin gets my vote!

"

I literally don't understand how you could phone in a performance like that. It's not physically possible. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#12Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 3:09pm

I thought Lucas was phoning it in as well.  And I actually was never that impressed with him.   Gavin all the way.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#13Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 3:13pm

Lucas Steele in Great Comet, phoning it in? HA!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#14Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 3:14pm

I thought Lucas was brilliant, but you can't count out the love the industry has for Creel. He's been around awhile and this seems like his best shot at a win.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#15Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 3:30pm

I did't care for Lucas either.  There was something disconnected from his performance the night I saw it.    My vote goes for Gavin.

Updated On: 4/28/17 at 03:30 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#16Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 3:58pm

@little_sally, who would you want to win if it came down to Steele and Brandon Uranowitz. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

thattreegurl Profile Photo
thattreegurl
#17Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 4:04pm

I have to say I'm a little baffled at some that are saying Lucas is phoning it in.

There are many things one could say about that performance, and that is not one that jumps to my mind.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#18Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 4:05pm

Hey Gang

I knew when I started this thread people would agree to disagree.

I just wish everyone could be lucky enough to see both Lucas and Gavin regardless of the awards they may win. They are both "star turns" and their huge talents are clearly on stage. (I do think "disingenuous" is a little harsh, but your opinion is certainly your own.) I felt total joy watching them both and wish them the best, regardless, of the outcome. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 4:05pm

Steele- along with the other featured cast members who have been with the show since off-Broadway- really do a lot more with the material than is immediately obvious on the page. The featured roles in Great Comet are really quite small, often just one spotlight solo, if that; yet what this cast is so good at doing is making those few moments count in an amazing way. Steele, McLean, Ashford, Bell, and Grey have been with the show for going on five years and are very at home in their roles, and it shows in every moment onstage. They're able to deliver star turns on limited stage time.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#20Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 4:11pm

Maybe I read a lot of blogs praising Steele's performance that when I finally watched it i was quite underwhelmed.  He didn't bring anything special to the role.  He was good. But I don't believe it was a tony worthy performance.  And I love Comet as much as I want it to win Best Musical.  But for supporting actor? Gavin has my vote as well.  He was able to balance the charm and naivite of the character and sang his heart out more than I can say for any other potential supporting actors (except maybe for the Anastacia, GD and Bandstand actors for I still haven't watched them yet).  

Emotionally though, the actors (featured) that have touched me so much this season were Brandon Uranowitz and Andrew Rannels for Falsettos.  Even so, I am still hoping Gavin brings home the medallion.  

PaulWom
#21Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 4:13pm

I disagree. It's Lucas for me all the way. Not only was he one of the funniest performances I've seen all year, but he sings the hell out of it and runs up all those STAIRS while doing so. In addition, I was actually quite moved by his performance in Pierre And Anatole, where he has a breakdown upon finally understanding the consequences of his actions, and then resolves to continue denying them.

Megsamegatron Profile Photo
Megsamegatron
#22Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 4:15pm

I think both Gavin and Lucas were amazing! I think it was Lucas's production to shine!

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#23Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 4:41pm

Hey Kad, (you are the Man) Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony

(seeing Comet again in 3 weeks)

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#24Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 5:03pm

PaulWom said: "I disagree. It's Lucas for me all the way. Not only was he one of the funniest performances I've seen all year..."

uhh is Anatole a comedic character? i've never thought of him that way

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

PaulWom
#25Gavin Is Great But Lucas Steele Should Get Tony
Posted: 4/28/17 at 5:06pm

gypsy101 said: "PaulWom said: "I disagree. It's Lucas for me all the way. Not only was he one of the funniest performances I've seen all year..."

uhh is Anatole a comedic character? i've never thought of him that way

"

Lucas plays him as both comedic and threatening. I mean, he is VERY over the top (and intentionally so). He enters in a cloud of light like Jesus Christ, and in the Abduction holds a note for 20 second then winks at the audience after they go nuts. He constantly breaks the fourth wall in very clever spots.