News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for onceadancer2

onceadancer2 Profile Photo
Member Name: onceadancer2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

STOCKARD CHANNING'S BLACK DRESS IN PAL JOEY  Dec 14 2008, 12:14:25 PM
Dis Stockard Channing war that dress throughout the second act? Or was it just for the curtain call. In the original Vivienne Segal wore a very elegant black dress and shoes, but nothing like the contraption that Channing is wearing. It's also so out of period. Who designed the costumes? It makes her look atrocious. I can just imagine Segal looking at a dress like that and screaming: I'M GOING TO WEAR THAT? STICK IT UP YOUR ASS!

As one of the lines in MY SISTER EILEEN wwent

"wh

**Once A Dancer -- My Thoughts On PAL JOEY**  Nov 23 2008, 10:32:32 AM
Dear AllofMyLife:

Thank you so much for that information. And yes, I am on the footage! There's more footage around, unfortunately none of Vivienne Segal or Leila Ernst.

By the way, there is a clip of Vivienne Segal singig Bewitched on the Ed Sullivan Show. Have you see it? Talk about adult, sophisticated, charming--and ruthless.

And by the way, I thought you'd get a laugh out of this. I've told it before, but here it goes again. Seal and Abbott were always at odds. He

**Once A Dancer -- My Thoughts On PAL JOEY**  Nov 22 2008, 11:18:38 AM
After receiving a few nasty notes from someone on the board—class always shows, but was obviously lacking in this person, I decided not to write anymore. Look, I’m going to be 88 soon, and still have my marbles.

As I was in the original dancing corps of PAL JOEY, and if my mind is still in order, a few reminders and pointers about the show and what sounds terribly wrong about this show. And for all the nitpickers, I say “sounds” because I have not seen it.

The part of Vera

re: German Cast Recordings  Mar 19 2008, 02:11:30 PM
Try to get the new Vienna Volksoper recording of SOUND OF MUSIC. It is truly wonderful!

Miriam

re: Cast Recordings From International Casts  Mar 18 2008, 01:26:52 PM
Listen to SOUND OF MUSIC from the Vienna Volksopera. It is really wonderful!

Miriam

re: Best Broadway star ever  Feb 26 2008, 01:24:16 PM
Comedy (Female): Shirley Booth, Ina Claire, Jean Dixon, Gertrude Lawrence, Maggie Smith, Joyce Redman, Judy Holliday, Athene Seyler.

Comedy (Male) : Alfred Lunt, Noel Coward.

Drama (Male) : Olivier, Ralph Richardson.

Drama (Female) : Irene Worth, Judi Dench, Edith Evans, Kim Stanley, Celia Johnson.

Musical (Female): Vivienne Segal, Carol Bruce, Nancy Walker, Shirley Booth (again)

Musical (Male): John Raitt, Alfred Drake.

There are more that

re: dance styling thing  Dec 11 2007, 12:35:56 PM
I don't know where you reside or your knowledge of ballet, but some ballets where the skirts, or dress, swish are:

Serenade
Vienna Waltzes
Ballet Imperial (now called Piano Concerto No. 2)
Dances At A Gathering
Tschiakovsky Suite No. 2 (or 3, I forget!)
Liebeslieder Walzer
In the Night
Brahms Schoenberg Quartet
Emeralds (from the Diamonds Trilogy)
Valse Fantaisie

Miriam

***CAROL BRUCE****  Oct 17 2007, 11:47:56 AM
I ususally do not come to this site often, but I was very surprised that no one mentiond the passing of Carol Bruce.

Carol Bruce had a very strange career. On opening night in Louisiana Purchase, she created quite a sensation, and seemed on the point of a great career on the musical comedy stage. Hell, on opening night Irving Berlin and Eddie Cantor came on with bouquets for her, much to the displeasure of Zorina.

Bruce had everything: looks, talent, a great voice, femi

re: Famous People at Brodway Shows  Jul 31 2007, 11:55:46 AM
During my performing career I met the following people:

Eleanor Roosevelt
Anna Roosevelt
Harry Hopkins
General George Marshall
Felix Frankfurter
Mrs. Sara Delano Roosevelt
Frances Perkins
Henry Morgentahu
Dwight Eisenhower
Missy LeHane
Wendel Wilkie
Groucho Marx
Bette Davis
Leslie Howard
Clark Gable
Joan Crawford
Gail Russell
Ginger Rogers
Fred Astaire
Vivien Leigh
Laurence Olivier
Sylvia Sidney
Arth

re: Lengthy Opening Numbers from the Golden Age  Jul 28 2007, 09:51:44 AM
These go way back, but you might want to look into them:

Girl Crazy opening (1930)

Jumbo opening (1935)

Boys From Syracuse (193 : The overture segueing into the opening dialogus segueing into the I Had Twins number.

By Jupiter (1942) - I can not remeber the number, but it was an extended sequence.

Something For the Boys (1943) - had a lengthy opening in which all three of the cousins get news that the house in Texas has been left to them.

On The Town (1944) - Beginning With "Im'm not out of bed yet" segueing into "New York NY" segueing into "Miss Turnstiles."

Wonderful Town opening

West Side Story opening

Carousel opening

And while these are not opening numbers, they were extended dance sequences (running anywhere from 6 - 15 minutes) which could be mentioned:

Johnny One Note Ballet from Babes In Arms (1937)
Honeymoon Ballet from I Married An Angel (193
Joey Looks Into the Future Ballet from Pal Joey (1940)
Oklahoma Act One Finale (1943)
45 Minutes For Lunch Ballet from One Touch of Venus (1943)
Venus In Ozone Heights Ballet from One Touch of Venus (1943)
On The Town Act I Finale (1944)
Coney Island Ballet from On The Town (1944)
Civil War Ballet from Bloomer Girl (1946)
Charleston from Billion Dollar Baby (1945)
South America, Take It Away from Call Me Mister (1946)
Brigadoon Act 1 Finale (1947)
If This Isn't Love Ballet from Finian's Rainbow (1947)
Allegro Ballet from Allegro (1947)
Small House of Uncle Thomas from King and I (1951)
Garden of Eden Ballet from Can Can (1953)

Wish I could think of more.

Miriam

***CITY CENTER--A LOOK AT WHAT IT WAS****  Jul 20 2007, 10:05:59 AM
I’ve been reading the posts about GYPSY and the complaints about City Center. So a short history lesson is in order.

For all of those who complain, remember that City Center was built as a theatre for the people at popular prices. Yes, the seats, the stage and everything else were inadequate.
But let us look at what you got at City Center.

First of all, a huge thank you—and my love and affection—for the two people who pushed City Center through, fought for it, pleaded for i

re: Tenor Jerry Hadley Dead at Age 55  Jul 19 2007, 11:59:58 AM
Such a sad way to end one's life. I wonder if he sought help before this tragic incident.

Rest in peace.

re: What is your favorite broadway love song?  Jul 19 2007, 11:56:58 AM
WITH A SONG IN MY HEART from Rodgers and Hart's SPRING IS HERE.

I saw the original in 1929!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

re: Ethel Merman Quotes  Jul 19 2007, 11:45:56 AM
One of my close friends—one of America’s most famous dancers—lurks here all the time. For some reason she refuses to write and passes everything on to me. So here are some Merman quotes that she remembers—from a very long time ago.

1. Fanny Brice meets Ethel Merman on the street and says “we’ve got to do a show together. Merman replies, “yeah, we could call it my man is girl crazy.”

2. In the Scandals of 1931, Ethel Merman appeared with Rudy Vallee. Obviously, she did not l

re: Most Precious Broadway Possession  Jul 18 2007, 11:46:52 AM
I still have my costume from the original BABES IN ARMS 1937.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit anymore!

re: Ethel Merman Quotes  Jul 18 2007, 11:40:36 AM
Way back in 1939 Merman was in a show called Stars In Your Eyes with Jimmy Durante, and also featuring Tamara Toumanova with choreography by Robert Alton and George Balanchine.

Merman watched the corps performing from the wings and was rumored to have said: "that little jewish boy over there dancing up a storm, what a talent. I'd like to work with him someday!"

Turned out it was Jerome Robbins!

When Merman was in Something for the Boys, the wonderful Betty Garrett had

re: LOVEMUSIK This Afternoon  May 24 2007, 12:00:27 PM
I have been interested in reading reviews about LOVEMUSIK.

I danced in one Kurt Weill musicaal, ONE TOUCH OF VENUS, and was able to observe Weill and Lenya--who came to rehearsals--at a distance, so what I have to say is only based on insights and what the other girls and I put together.

Yes, I do think that Weill and Lenya loved each other--but it was not in a physical way. I would say that it was more a meeting of the minds, rather than the heart. Yes, Kurt Will did rely on

re: Great Performances in Shows that Flopped or Got Panned  Apr 24 2007, 12:08:49 PM
Gertrude Niessen in the 1940s war camp musical of all time, FOLLOW THE GIRLS. The reviews were awful, calling it tacky, stupid, imbecilic, vapid, degrading, vile, an insult to one's intelligence, etc. It didn't matter. The audiences came. Part of the fun of FOLLOW THE GIRLS were the regulars who came and would call out the dialogue from their seats.

re: The Most You've Seen a Show?  Apr 24 2007, 12:04:28 PM
Depending on the time and date, I saw the original MY SISTER EILEEN about 50 times.

And laughed!!!!!!

Miriam

re: Help Write the BROADWAYWORLD.COM QUIZ: THE GREAT LADIES OF BROADWAY  Apr 21 2007, 02:11:39 PM
Lynn Fontanne
Ina Claire
Ruth Gordon
Maude Adams
Ethel barrymore
Marilyn Miller
Claire Eames
Katharine Cornell
Vivienne Segal
Evelyn Herbert
Adele Astaire
Helen Hayes
Lotte Lenya
Judith Anderson
Ethel Waters
Gertrude Lawrence
Beatrice Lillie
Fanny Brice
Lillian Gish
Grace George
Alice Brady
Julia Sanderson
Frances Starr
Jeanne Eagles
Laurette Taylor
Pauline Lord
Peggy

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You