My Thoughts On PAL JOEY

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/15/08 at 11:47pm

When leaving Roundabout's revival of PAL JOEY, one can't help but wonder (after the years of workshops and readings that eventually led to this staging) how what is on the stage in it's present form came to pass.

In terms of areas of success, the women are quite fabulous.

Stockard Channing's Vera is still rough around the edges, but she should be in fine form by the opening. Her singing clunks along in the first act (though her version of "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered" took on a more raw meaning in it's semi-spoken poignancy,) but she sounds much better in the second. Her acting is marvelous throughout, so much so that it more than justifies what may be lacking in her voice. She certainly has the worldly aire of sophistication that exudes from Vera in spades, and she looks absolutely stunning, particularly in the sheer dress she wears during her first entrance.

Jenny Fellner is delightful as Linda English. Having seen her previously in the Jenn Gambatese role in ALL SHOOK UP a couple years ago, it's remarkable how sophisticated she comes off on stage after playing such young ingenue characters so recently (she was also Sophie in MAMMA MIA!, says her bio.) Though her voice tended to float away on some of the higher parts of the score, she was solid for the majority of the time.

The true star of the show, though, is Martha Plimpton as Gladys. There really is nothing this woman cannot do, and to watch her absolutely trounce everyone in her path (both in terms of voice and presence) opposite such esteemed veterans knowing this is her first musical is truly astonishing. She is so good, though, that is raises curiosity as to why she took such a limited role. She only gets to really shine in "Zip" (she's sort of hampered by the plethora of showgirls in "That Terrific Rainbow,") but my does she nail it with delightful tenacity and bravado. Every time she'd leave the stage, things never seemed to pick up quite so gleefully as they did when she was present.

Unfortunately, even as good as the women are, they still can't surpass the dud that is Christian Hoff. For a role so 'beguiled' for it's ability to showcase a true triple threat, Joe Mantello and the creative team seem to have cast someone who doesn't particularly thrive in any of the three disciplines.

Hoff nails the snide and conceited charm that is requisite for Joey Evans, but that's about it. His singing is dreadful (only exaggerated by his awful "enunciation") and his dancing is almost non-existent. His acting isn't nearly as bad, but he certainly doesn't have the stage presence of a true leading man. How he continuously participated in numerous developmental incarnations and still made it through to the end is beyond me. Someone like Tony Yazbeck or Michael Berresse would have been leagues better. I would hope that he will improve over the preview period, but considering he has been so extensively involved with the project, I don't see there being much of a change.

Scott Pask's sleek scene design aptly fits the darker tone highlighted by Richard Greenberg's updated book, and William Ivey Long's costumes are stunning. Graciela Daniele's choreography is quite sufficient in the group numbers in the club, but it is still perplexing as to how she has allotted for almost nothing for her leading man (most likely, one can surmise, because of his lack of ability.)

Overall, PAL JOEY is an enjoyable night for it's terrific trio of leading ladies, but for a show with such promise, it's a shame that the production only flutters when it could have soared.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 11/16/08 at 11:47 PM

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#2re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 12:52am

I don't know why people keep suggesting Tony Yazbeck. I mean, he's a good signer and a great dancer, but he is so wrong for Joey it isn't even funny. Plus, he's not exactly a great actor- serviceable, but still a bit fake.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 12:57am

What does being a good signer have anything to do with playing Joey Evans in PAL JOEY?

I'm confused.

re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 3:27am

An eye roll for Brody, F*CKface, as always. His comment was not even accompanied with the few good pics that make his awfully pointless posts bearable.

Thanks for the review, Somethingwicked. It's ridiculous that Christian Hoff is giving such a mediocre performance when he has been involved with workshops of the show for such a while (as you pointed out in your review and as I have been thinking since the first preview reviews came out). I really can't believe they would let him star in this long-awaited revival which really didn't need to happen until they had a real marvelous Joey Evans. They could have had a plethora of great ladies for the three major female roles (and according to your review, it seems they did) but they really should have waited for a great Joey, not Hoff. I guess if he did all those workshops they didn't realize he wasn't what the audience expected? I wish they had gone for Hugh Jackman, or if that didn't work out, definitely a Michael Beresse or even someone like John Selya who stole the show with his "Who's Got the Pain?" in the Encores! DAMN YANKEES.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

dlass727 Profile Photo
dlass727
#4re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 9:27am

Thanks for the review Somethingwicked! I have tickets to next Sunday's performance and can't wait to see it! Although, I am a little disappointed that Christian Hoff is not so great in this role. Still, I can't wait to see Stockard Channing and Martha Plimpton.

Upcoming shows:

Ed_Mottershead
#5re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 9:52am

I'd have been happy to see Curtis Holbrook take the role -- he's a GREAT dancer, can sing well and is charismatic.

BroadwayEd

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#6re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 9:59am

<< I'd have been happy to see Curtis Holbrook take the role -- he's a GREAT dancer, can sing well and is charismatic. >>

I thought about that too, Ed. The only problem that Curtis MIGHT have had is that he looks too young for the part.

He has such a baby-face.

Btw, we saw him the other night before "Pal Joey"- He said that people are going to be very pleasanly surprised with the changes made for "WSS", and that Karen Olivo is amazing !!!

Ed_Mottershead
#7re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 10:09am

Testing, was he at the same performance as Pal Joey that you were or did you just see him somewhere else beforehand? Reason I ask is that whenever I've talked to him, I've always said how great he would be as Joey -- this going back to when Xanadu was in previews and the Joey hadn't been announced. Since Hoff seems to be getting such a negative reaction so far, maybe Curtis could pull a Cheyenne -- rehearsing WSS by day and performing PJ at night. I believe PJ's run will be finished by the time WSS opens. I already have a ticket for PJ, but would gladly rush to see it again should Curtis take over. I absolutely LOVE that guy!!!

BroadwayEd

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#8re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 10:27am

We were eating, and we saw him walking by the restaurant. He was leaving "WSS" rehearsals.

I would be there every night if Curtis ever played Joey !!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#9re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 10:40am

Curtis is too "nice" for Joey.

Selya and Beresse could dance it, but I don't think they could act it.

It really is a somewhat impossible role to cast, both because the material is underwritten and the character is unlikable.

So you need an actor/singer/dancer who is not only charismatic but dark, dangerous and erotically charged to fill in what the writing lacks and make us like him despite his actions.

Hugh Jackman really is the only one around.

Dollypop
#10re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 10:51am

Scott Wise might be a tad long in the tooth to play Joey, but I bet he could pull it off.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Ed_Mottershead
#11re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 12:55pm

Dolly, I agree with you about Scott Wise -- but I think his day has passed. If you'd have asked me 15, even 10 years ago, Scott's name would have been the first, if not only, name to come to mind. He always projected a naughty but nice persona and, under the right director, probably could have underscored the character's sleeze and amorality. A matter of wrong time, wrong place, IMO.

BroadwayEd

joneswright08
#12re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 1:09pm

Scott would have been great back during that STATE FAIR period.

The guys who are great dancers who can sing and act are Tyler Hanes, Curtis Holbrook, Noah Racey, Matt Loeher and Tony Yazbeck.

My understanding intially was that they were re-thinking the role in more of a Sinatra way...using more of a singer (like Harry Connick)...if that was the way to go, why not just cast the right guy? The idea was intially for Hugh Jackman...wasn't it?

It feels like they just decided after his Tony win that Hoff was the right guy, however, after several readings, they knew he was not a singer like that...why were the producers so stubborn?

I do not blame Hoff...I blame the producers who knew he was not working.

They should have waited for the right guy...period.

Scott Wise types who could have been groomed, or a STAR who already has the chops and work around that...either or...but not this, what seems like, a very poor decision.

somethingwicked
#13re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 1:17pm

I think the reason they went with Hoff (at least initially) is because of how naturally... grimy and tough he appears.

He's got the rough exterior that should ideally be present for Joey (which is something most of the people who could actually perform the role lack,) but that's about where his abilities stop. Unfortunately, he just doesn't have the chops to back up being the right type.

As I alluded to in my review and as has been presented since, the real question is why the creative team still cast him after seeing his performance in the various workshops and readings they used him for. I find it hard to believe there haven't been people questioning his casting, but it seems others won out in that regard.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#14re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 2:33pm

The guys who are great dancers who can sing and act are Tyler Hanes, Curtis Holbrook, Noah Racey, Matt Loeher and Tony Yazbeck

Love them all, but none is dynamic enough to carry a show in an underwritten, unlikable role.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#15re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 2:41pm

Do you think Taye Diggs would work?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#16re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 2:50pm

Hmmm...

somethingwicked
#17re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 3:17pm

Taye Diggs would be very interesting.

Other names that came to my mind as I was trying to think of actors for the role were Matt Morrison and Patrick Wilson. Though both don't necessarily have the right look, at least they're dynamic actors who can sing, dance, and could mange to be utterly charming while being completely unlikeable within the context of the story.

That's much more than Hoff seems to be capable of.

jwonjy119 Profile Photo
jwonjy119
#18re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 3:17pm

Well, I just wanted to say that Christian Hoff does have a lot of ~support~ from all of his looney bat **** crazy Jersey Boys fan who will never see a flaw in him since he was part of the OBC from Jersey Boys.

IDK. I just read some mini reviews about his performance on the JBB and it's basically all ~GLOWING~ reviews.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#19re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 3:28pm

Oh I think Noah Racey might have the ability to take on Pal Joey. Maybe they should just wait five to ten years until Kendrick Jones grows as an actor to take on the role.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#20re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 3:41pm

I didn't care for Christian Hoff's voice AT ALL in Jersey Boys and wasn't fond of his acting, either. I feel somewhat vindicated by these reviews.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#21re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 3:51pm

There's nothing dangerous about Matt Morrison or Patrick Wilson aren't dangerous enough.

Noah Racey has the right combination of song-and-dance-man and tough kid, but I doubt he's got enough presence to carry the show.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#22re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 3:54pm

I think Tony Yazbek would make a terrific Joey.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#23re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 3:56pm

More Noah Racey, looking ALMOST Joey-like.

somethingwicked
#24re: My Thoughts On PAL JOEY
Posted: 11/16/08 at 4:09pm

PaJoey, though I concede that neither Morrison nor Wilson would be ideal (as I said in my initial post,) I disagree that both lack the ability to be dangerous.

Did you see HARD CANDY? Wilson did a disturbing job of portraying a predator in that film, validating the versatility in his abilities beyond the normal slew of "charming leading man" roles he has played in the past.

He was also quite terrifying during his moments in the current revival of ALL MY SONS where his character is consumed by rage, particularly during his physical confrontation with John Lithgow at the end of the second act.

And though he hasn't necessarily proved it yet in his body of work, I've always found the root of Morrison's charm to be how he always seems to appear slightly rough around the edges.

Updated On: 11/16/08 at 04:09 PM