News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Meyerschultz

Meyerschultz Profile Photo
Member Name: Meyerschultz
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Fastest win to EGOT LMM or Pasek/Paul
 May 2 2024, 11:39:07 PM

Jonathan Cohen said: "TaffyDavenport said: "https://variety.com/2024/tv/awards/benj-pasek-justin-paul-egot-only-murders-song-submission-emmys-1235988018/

"‘Only Murders’ Songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul Go for EGOT With ‘Which of the Pickwick Triplets Did It?’ at Emmys"
"

This reminds me of how "We Don’t Talk About Bruno" didn't win an Oscar forEncanto, for the dumbest reason possible. Disney didn't even submit it for consideration, pushing “Dos Oruguitas” instead.

Look for the Light has like 4X as many monthly listens as Which of the Pickwick Triplets Did It on Spotify. It's Murder's most popular song. Don't overthink it and just submit your most popular song.
"

For Encanto, they had no way of knowing that Bruno would catch on when they chose Dos Oruguitas. Disney probably had to submit their Oscar song choice before the film was even released and it's obvious they felt that would be the breakout song. Little did they know what TikTok would reap!

The Emmy for best song has always been a weird category that doesn't have any straightforward path to winning. From what I've read, they used to require people to actually view songs in multiple committees and rank them. Not sure that the number of streams is necessarily that helpful of a metric.

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
 May 1 2024, 05:33:20 PM

RippedMan said: "I thought I'd seen the movie before, but I guess I got it confused with the Roseanne Barr movie. Guess I'll be watching this tonight in anticipation of Sunday. Very excited!"

Were you thinking of She-Devil? I could see that with Meryl’s role being similar. 

Ryan & Uzele to lead NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway
 Mar 24 2023, 01:21:44 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Anyone going to dress rehearsal tonight?"

There was no invited dress last night. Sounds like it's a big show so maybe they wanted to maximize tech time?

LEOPOLDSTADT Reviews
 Feb 9 2023, 02:25:12 PM

Do we know when Uranowitz is out til? Really want to see him!

Where is Lawrence O'Keefe?
 Sep 4 2022, 02:18:04 AM

darquegk said: "He’s in a lab somewhere trying to design new and unprecedented key changes."

This is hilarious and kind of genius. 

'Dave' the musical (Kitt, Benjamin, Landau, Meehan)
 Jul 23 2018, 12:21:54 AM

I actually don’t think RippedMan was ripping on ticket sales but his comment was confusing. He seemed to be referring to difficulties with one of the stars needing surgery which delayed previews and tonight the show having technical difficulties. That said, it sounds like it’s actually selling very well.

Record number of New Musicals 2016-17?
 Oct 19 2016, 10:34:00 PM

I was just checking out all the new musicals with original scores (or at least, technically new according to Tony rules) opening this season on Broadway. It looks like there are 10 officially announced to open:

-Paramour
-Natasha, Pierre...
-In Transit
-Dear Evan Hansen
-A Bronx Tale
-Come from Away
-Anastasia
-Groundhog Day
-War Paint
-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Does anyone know the last time t

Tony Award for Best Score 2013-14
 Apr 11 2014, 01:43:21 AM
I think Gentleman's Guide will get Best Score.

I think Bridges SHOULD get Best Score.

And assuming If/Then gets nominated, I think the last nom will go to… (drum roll)...

...First Date. The reviews for Rocky and Big Fish critically bludgeoned those scores. First Date may not be the second coming but I'm happy when Seth Rudetsky plays it on Sirius and I had a great time at the show.

Tony Award for Best Score 2013-14
 Apr 7 2014, 02:54:49 AM
TheatreKid3, Aladdin's eligibility may come down to Disney's honesty in reporting the quantity of material written for the show and the nominating committee's due diligence. Looking at your list:

-Changes in "Arabian Nights" - don't think there are really changes here other than dance arrangements. They just used parts of the song that we're written for the movie but ultimately cut.
-Proud of Your Boy - written for movie and unused
-These Palace Walls* - NEW
-Babkak,

On our way to NYC again...need help from you experts
 Sep 11 2013, 06:21:16 PM
I'd highly recommend both Once and First Date for similar reasons. Both feel truly contemporary, which I love. Both are smaller cast shows but showcase surprising production values. Once is great if you're looking for heartfelt, and the theatrical staging is a major highlight. First Date is truly hilarious. I actually don't know the last time I saw a musical where the audience laughed as much and as hard all the way through the show. And I was there with them. Probably the Producers.
First Date Reviews
 Aug 9 2013, 01:01:27 PM
Saw on Twitter that they were recording the band for the cast album this last Monday. So it looks like there's going to be one.
A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder Info
 Jul 29 2013, 10:15:41 PM
Looking forward to this - particularly Jefferson Mays. Sounds like a combo of 39 Steps and Edwin Drood, with a little bit of Something's Afoot! Anyone remember that show? I remember seeing a video of it as a kid, but I have no idea whether it was any good.
Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/28/13
 Jul 29 2013, 10:04:23 PM
My guess is yes. When I saw it the first week, the audience around me was LOVING it, as if they were watching Book of Mormon. And I've heard that kind of response from others who saw it. Of course, I've heard some negatives too, though mostly reading here and "that other board" online. It's probably not a show that critics will be inclined to like walking into the theatre, but if they're at all swayed by they crowd around them, First Date could have a decent life. Going next week again righ
Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/28/13
 Jul 29 2013, 04:27:19 PM
At $443K, First Date might even be making money!
Excitement Scale of new (and old) musicals for 2013-2014
 Jul 24 2013, 11:49:09 AM
After Midnight- 2
Soul Doctor- 3
The Bridges of Madison County- 7
First Date- 8.5 (actual rating after seeing it), 6 (before I saw it),
Big Fish- 7
Aladdin- 7
Let It Be- 2
Bullets over Broadway- 8
If/Then- 6
Les Miserables- 5
A Night with Janis Joplin- 2
Rocky- 8
A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder- 6
Hedwig and the Angry Inch- 6

FIRST DATE - Previews
 Jul 13 2013, 01:28:29 AM
I was at the show and overheard a bit of Schwartz's conversation with a couple of the writers. Seemed like he actually really liked it. I think he said something about the gay best friend. Probably to tone him down. Felt a little broad to me. Have to say I had a much better time than most people here, particularly with how early in previews it is. I'm going to go back closer to opening. Very curious to see what changes.
FIRST DATE - Previews
 Jul 9 2013, 06:16:10 PM
Seeing the show tomorrow night. Hopeful that my investment in good seats (albeit discounted on Playbill) pays off!
Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
 May 23 2013, 04:43:15 AM
Good points, Elphaba. My bad on Drowsy. It won Tonys for Book and Score, not Musical.

The number of people who loved the movie of Once and impacted its success I'd guess is miniscule. I'd wager that a large majority of people who have ever seen that musical have never seen the film and didn't go to the show because they knew or loved the source material. It's like claiming that Hairspray was successful as a show because it was a much loved film. People who've seen it may have enjoy

Zachary Levi + Krysta Rodriguez = FIRST DATE leads
 May 23 2013, 01:41:44 AM
I don't even really pay much attention to "plots" given for Broadway shows. Most sound pretty terrible. I think it's usually more about the worlds and musical palettes created. For example:

How about a show about a songwriter who fixes vacuum cleaners and is going to give up on his music until a Czech girl tells him he shouldn't and helps him raise money to make a demo?

A Broadway show? Please. And what's that title even mean? Sounds terrible and nobody thought that would

Small Cast Musicals
 May 21 2013, 11:38:30 PM
They're Playing Our Song - it's only 2 people onstage, then a few offstage voices.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You