News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for wickedrentq

wickedrentq Profile Photo
Member Name: wickedrentq
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Analyzing Sweeney Todd solely based on the original production  Mar 19 2023, 06:47:18 PM

17 years later...

(Hi!) I went to see the wonderful Sweeney Revival today.  Before going, I remembered I made this post all these years ago, and thought it might add to my enjoyment today to reread it.  What I forgot was how wonderful the discussion/commentary was from some amazing posters at the time.  And while I am loath to bump any post from my college-aged self (cringe), I decided that in light of the revival, it would be nice to bump this for some of the amazin

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Seating/Pricing Thread  Sep 27 2018, 12:06:41 PM

I guess I lucked out, right at 11AM I was brought right in to purchase tickets, immediately picked June 6th and 7th and entry tickets appeared at a new price of $40/65.  Got Balcony row H for $40.  So it looks like $20/$40 tix became $40/65.  Just passing on the info.

2012 Drama Desk Nominations Announced - DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY, FOLLIES, NIC  Apr 28 2012, 06:08:58 PM
Yes, and it very much deserved to win. My point was sometimes the winner of score is indeed worthy of winning orchestrations, sometimes not. Piazza was one that definitely was.

2012 Drama Desk Nominations Announced - DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY, FOLLIES, NIC  Apr 28 2012, 12:59:49 PM
Re: orchestrations

Believe me, as an amateur musician, I love and appreciate the work the orchestrators do, and of course feel they deserve to be honored.

That said, no category nominations and winners drive me more crazy than orchestrations. Looking at the Tonys, since the category was integrated in 1997, the only time when the winner of orchestrations was eligible for score (i.e. not a revival or a jukebox musical), the only time the winner of score was different was 2002 wh

Opening Night Merrily Tix for Sale or Trade  Jan 31 2012, 12:25:22 PM
Hello,

I have 2 rear mezz seats for opening night at Merrily, Feb 8 at 7:30PM, that I can't use. Looking to trade for a performance after February 14, particularly the 16th or 17th, but am open to any performance after the 14th.

I will also sell them for what I paid with fees, which is $75 total. A discount code that is no longer available was used, so this is the cheapest you can get rear mezz tix.

I have tickets in hand, so meeting in person to exchange at some poi

West Side Story 1980  Jan 14 2012, 02:45:27 PM
"The music is the little repetitive transition figure (DAH-da-da, DAH-da-da, DAH-da-da...), which I remember being told is based on the interval that Lenny used to unite the whole score ("Ma-ri-a!" "Some-where!" etc.), but you'd have to ask someone more musically included to explain how intervals are similar"

This isn't one connection I've paid particular attention to (but I'm pretty sure it's DAH-da-da-da, DAH-da-da-da, unless the music I played in high school was different?) but from

People Like Us  Sep 16 2011, 11:15:16 AM
I've played in the pit orchestra for this show in an off-off Broadway production. What an amazing experience! I played the reed 4 part, which in some shows can be kinda boring, playing more of the bass/beat notes...definitely not the case in this show, and especially "People Like Us." It's simple but beautiful, just the way it flows, and the way the orchestra sounds as a whole. And the timing is difficult, but it just makes perfect sense, and every part of the song just seems...perfectly tog
Sondheim vs. Porgy & Bess - YIKES!  Aug 12 2011, 03:51:02 PM
"The bottom line is that Sondheim isn't objecting to them making revisions, but he is objecting to them presenting themselves as "fixers" and "show doctors" who are taking care off all the terrible things that were wrong with this piece to begin with"

Hmm...now this sounds horribly familiar. Perhaps it doesn't count if the "fixer" and the "show doctor" is the original book writer, but there were just so many terrible things that Mr. Laurents just had to change in West Side Story...the

Free tickets to special performance of NUNSET BOULEVARD Saturday 7/16  Jul 13 2011, 11:22:54 AM
Please note: tickets for Friday 7/15 are soldout, only seats are left for Saturday 7/16

The Little Sisters of Hoboken have gone Hollywood in the latest installment of the international musical comedy sensation Nunsense franchise with Nunset Boulevard. The Sisters will commit their exploits to celluloid in a New York City filming of the show for future DVD release. The public is invited to be a part of the live audience for two performances of the show, which will take place on July 15 &

What was wrong with the West Side Story revival?  May 12 2011, 02:57:01 PM
I think in general, how much you liked this production depended on how much you were familiar with the show and original/prior productions. I mean, for all the flaws I thought there were, if you went into this never having heard or known anything from WSS (okay, that's pretty rare), I'm sure you would have been blown away by the music alone. And I certainly don't fault anyone who felt that way.

"That said, I really doubt the majority of the audience noticed anything wrong with Karen's

Extra $5 ticket to Wonderland tonight  May 5 2011, 04:29:17 PM
Hello all,
I have an extra $5 ticket to Wonderland tonight. I get out of work at 6, so would love to grab a bite with someone before the show. PM me if interested.

Anyone going to see Wonderland this week?  May 5 2011, 03:26:02 PM
So I know a lot of you posting here are fans of the show, and those who are not at least interested. I have an extra $5 ticket to the show tonight. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it's at least fun. Would love to see it with someone on here, and maybe even grab a bite before. So PM me if interested.
Extra $75 loge War Horse opening night ticket - 4/14, 7PM  Apr 13 2011, 10:28:47 AM
Hello all,

So I have an extra $75 opening night ticket to War Horse tomorrow night. Row E of the loge, show starts at 7PM. PM me if interested.

LEONARD BERNSTEIN  Jun 6 2010, 03:07:42 PM
What a wonderful thread brought back up.

Bernstein was an absolute genius, and I get frustrated when his name isn't brought up with the greatest composers for musical theatre, though I've learned that comes from not writing as many musicals as Rodgers or Sondheim. Still frustrates me though.

To me, West Side Story is without a doubt the greatest Broadway score of all time. The score is a drama onto itself, and if you study the way the music creates the drama, only Porgy & Bes

Drama Desk Awards Unfair???  May 26 2010, 11:00:10 AM
"2.) Keep the awards as they are, but only permit members to vote if they've seen all nominees. Currently, voters are asked to abstain if they haven't seen everything in a given category, but they're not policed as they are at some other award shows. (The Oscars, for example, only permit voting in races like best foreign film and documentary if voters prove they attended special screenings. The Emmys only permit voters to cast ballots in a few races and are strict with voters about proving they
re: WSS: Does the revival IMPROVE anything?  Nov 12 2009, 01:08:06 PM
No.
re: Interesting Facts About the Creation of WEST SIDE STORY  Sep 26 2009, 05:01:11 PM
Damn, my book isn't in the shoebox I thought I kept it in, so I can't give the exact quote. But, he immediately apologized, and explained that he was upset about something else I think.

To make up for my lack of that, I figured I'd try to find the place online where I read all his letters. Well, I found all that and more. I'm linking the page that has all his letters to Felicia, click on each to read it in full, but then make sure you click on the other 3 parts that has lots of docum

re: Interesting Facts About the Creation of WEST SIDE STORY  Sep 24 2009, 10:45:01 AM
I went through a lot of these books writing a thesis about the score of WSS. For insight into the show, I found the Burton book a little more useful than the Peyser book, but my favorite book strictly about Bernstein is Peter Gradenwitz's "Leonard Bernstein: The Infinite Variety of a Musician." That goes more into the work and what-not, and there was a great section about operatic elements of WSS, which was perfect considering the thesis was for an opera class. (The two other books which gave the most insight I thought into WSS was Joseph P. Swain's "The Broadway Musical: A Critical and Musical Survey," though that book is filled with music theory that even gave me a headache, and Scott Miller's "From Assassins to West Side Story: A Director's Guide To Musical Theatre," which is an easier read).

In terms of the making of WSS, I have a book whose author I can't remember, haven't read it in a while, but found a book called "The Making of West Side Story" which is filled with all those facts and more. I know this book tells the story of Bernstein storming out of a party in his honor when he first heard the movie orchestrations, which I love. I'm pretty sure it also goes into some of the more painful moments for at least Lawrence and Kert, dealing with Robbins. Highly recommend it.

There's also a collection of a bunch of letters Bernstein wrote to his wife while in DC during WSS that I think is at least in one or two books, but I'm pretty sure I first read it online. I know he talks about writing "Something's Coming" and just the stress of it all.

I love the story about the orchestra -- he hated the 2 viola players that he had to pay so I think at first he said he was just gonna pay them and not have them play, but I think the final decision was to give them just a really easy part, which may or may not have subsequently been taken out of the score. But I'm pretty sure, not positive, that violas don't have such an important role in WSS partially due to that.

Maybe soon I'll whip out my making of WSS story book and add some of it here.

Oh, and I'm like...85% sure it was Robbins who read about the Puerto Rican gangs and had the idea to change WSS...or he took credit from some anonymous person who did

re: It's official. West Side Story ditches some of the spanish  Sep 2 2009, 11:06:49 AM
"I also have to question whether they would feel so vehemently against the direction at the end of the show if it had been a different director who was not seen as having a such a huge personal vendetta against Robbins."

Not at all. I've only come to dislike Arthur and his vendetta through the changes he's made to the show, not vice-versa.

The whole should-every-aspect-of-the-show-stay-the-same debate...my opinion is something can be changed if it can be improved upon. T

re: It's official. West Side Story ditches some of the spanish  Sep 1 2009, 03:42:20 PM
The rule is that the curtain call is subject to the director's artistic discretion.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You