pixeltracker

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING.
Posted: 12/31/07 at 1:57pm

and my last Report for the year....

E22
Gone Missing
New Musical (OFF-BROADWAY)
Barrow Street Theater
12/29 2:30 pm matinee
75 mins without intermission
Tix Price : $25.00 (thru TDF)

Things I Have Lost in the loony bin, 2007 : I lost my toothbrush, my sweater, all of my socks, my sense of humor, the plot, any sense of self-worth, the will to live........(from the musical)

Before we went to see the show, I had a dreamt that I lost my wallet with all my credit cards and IDs.. I was soo worried and somehow I knew it was just a bad dream..that I woke myself up from this nightmare. I think one of our worries in life is to lose things.. This is the subject of this "documentary musical" appropriately called GONE MISSING playing till January 6, 2008 at the Barrow Street Theater in Greenwich Village (NYC) . The six members of the Civilians interviewed people like a jaded cop, a Korean grocer, a Pakistani cab driver, a talky Jewish dowager and a yuppie fashionista. This musical is very experimental...though very creative and the songs are all good - its sounds like something from SPRING AWAKENING, but with better lyrics .(IMO)

4 Things I Like about the Musical (out of 10)

1. The Actors- they are all great and sing beautifully. My favorite is Robbie Collier Sublett- I love his rendition of "Lost Horizon" the most. I love how they put all their different accents-very authentic!

2. The Music of Michael Friedman- there are a lot songs that I like : "The Only Thing Missing Is You", the spanish song "La Bodega" , "I Gave It Away" , Etch a Sketch", "Stars " and my favorite, "Lost Horizon" . I bought the CD too Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING.

3. The idea- I thought its very creative to interview people about things they lost and make a musical out of it.

4. The ending- How they hang all their jackets from the lights thatcame down at the end..ala Spring Awakening..(in song "Stars") which for me symbolizes things we lost ...and we move on... but its there.. a part of us...though we never really own it...its just memories now of things we possesed..I thought it was very creative & imaginative.

2 Things I Did Not Like about the Musical (out of 10)

1. It could be a bit boring and sometimes the sketches are uninteresting. Its good its only 1 hour and 15 mins.

2. The actors seem a little robotic at times.

In Summary:

After I saw the show... I really dont know how to make of it.. its not torture.. I love the songs.... its just not a typical musical that has a story and moves on... Its just an eulogy of things we lost...This musical is not for everyone...though I like it bec. its very original, creative and has a message...

When I lost my keys you told me the words of Plato
That our possesions are only shadows Echoes of fate, so
The things that you lose, you never possesed...

You're only remembering- only remembering
And all we see is stars
Falling from so far away...

The things that we see are just memories of the things that used to be....
(from the song 'Stars' from the musical, GONE MISSING)
Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING. Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING.

Hope the best for everyone for this coming NEW YEAR !!! and to all the friends I met here in 2007- thanks for all the memories! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING.

J*

Score: 4/2- I LIKE IT ! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING.

Barrow Street Theater (The Greenwich Theater)

Production Photos

The Program

Updated On: 1/2/08 at 01:57 PM

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !
Posted: 12/31/07 at 7:14pm

Thanks for the report J*. re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All ! This show sounds amusing and interesting. Based on your review and the concept; which I agree is creative (I'd have never thought of making a musical about the stuff I'd lost) I'd like to see it. I'll be too busy to get to NYC before the middle of February. Could you tell me please if it's a limited run?

Happy New Year to you J* and thanks for allowing me to live vicariously through your thearical experiences. Its been a blast! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !

To all of you on the BWW boards. Thanks for the interesting, informative reads and perspectives. I've enjoyed and learned much from all of you in some shape and form; not to mention I've laughed ALOT! I look forward to another year of the same. Stay safe everyone and have a Happy New Year! re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !
Posted: 1/1/08 at 10:30am

Stagefan2- Thanks and yes its a limited run... its closing on Jan. 6 .. this Sunday re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !

BTW- I got the CD yesterday in the mail ...and the comic strip is from the CD

re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !

re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !

I transfered it on my iTunes and its only 19 minutes long !!!! I payed $11.99 for this. but its worth it.. I love hearing Robbie Coulier Sublett's rendition of Lost Horizon...
plus its nice to have the CD after youve seen the show..it makes you not forget the show... I hate when you have to wait for months to get the CD (like MAKE ME A SONG and THE GLORIOUS ONES..in my case ! - I need those CD's now !!)

Info to order the GONE MISSING CD : $11.99
https://www.sh-k-boom.com/GoneMissing.html

1. Things I Have Lost - 0:16
2. Gone Missing -1:49
3. The Only Thing Missing -2:24
4. La Bodega- 2:42
5. Hide & Seek- 1:49'
6. I Gave It Away-1:59
7. Ich Traumt Du Kamst An Mich- 1:09
8. Lost Horizon-2:56
9. Etch A Sketch- 1:45
10. Stars-2:19

Not available on iTunes yet...but the CD is beautifully sung and put together..worth the $11.99...

J*

Updated On: 1/1/08 at 10:30 AM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#3re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !
Posted: 1/2/08 at 10:02am

bump for those who miss re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !
Posted: 1/2/08 at 10:45am

Thanks for the wonderful review, Jay!

I'm glad you bumped it, because I just saw the show last night!

I really enjoyed myself. I agree that the entire cast was top notch. And they weren't just cardboard cut-outs, which I enjoyed. They were all very unique, and I, too, was highly impressed by the various accents.

Robbie Collier Sublett was the real standout for me, most especially because of his gorgeous "Lost Horizon." I also enjoyed his monologue about the lost cell phone. It was hilarious!

Stephen Plunkett was also fantastic as the redneck and cop in various situations.

It's nice to see a commercial Off-Broadway musical have a long run (does anyone know whether they recouped?).

I'll have to add that cast recording to my list. What a unique blend of musical styles.

Those who are going to be around between now and this Sunday, January 6th, see this show! Rush tickets are $20, which is how I saw it, and the show is always at TKTS for $25.

The show is 75 minutes long, and the final performance on Sunday is at 5pm, so it can even be fit in between a matinée and evening of other shows.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

RentBoy86
#5re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on GONE MISSING and Happy New Year to All !
Posted: 1/2/08 at 4:22pm

Thanks for the link Jay! I'll have to add this recording to my list. I love little known Off-Broadway shows.