News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for StageFan2

StageFan2 Profile Photo
Member Name: StageFan2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: shows that went through development hell?  Jan 18 2009, 08:42:52 PM
Curtains. The show ran into one wall after another, including the deaths of Fred Ebb and Peter Stone.
re: Merry Christmas  Dec 25 2008, 10:21:50 PM
Although the recent deaths in the Broadway community have put a damper on the day. I still want to wish a Merry Christmas to you Kooky and to all my friends on the BWW Boards. I wish one and all peace, love, good health, and much happiness today and all days that follow.
re: Eartha Kitt has died  Dec 25 2008, 10:14:42 PM
This is the first Christmas "Santa Baby" made me cry.
Rest in peace, dear lady. I and many others will miss you.

re: RIP Harold Pinter  Dec 25 2008, 01:01:26 PM
Lovely post Smaxie.

My sympathies to Mr. Pinter's friends and family. May he rest in peace.

re: Clay Aiken to Receive His Caricature At Sardi's  Dec 23 2008, 07:20:16 AM
Complete idiocy. Aiken gets a caricature for 8 mos of intermitent, so, so work, and the talented little dogs of Legally Blond go unrewarded for over a year of work without missing a day, working for bits of liver treats. No caricature for them. Unjust I say! What a sham! Shame on Sardi's.
The Temperature is Rising  Dec 22 2008, 05:17:23 PM
According to this article;

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/4234

1 in 4 New Yorkers have high mercury levels.

Also from the article:

"So what’s the problem with high levels of blood mercury?
While mercury is an environmental pollutant – high blood mercury levels pose little, if any, health risks for most adults. The problem lies in the increased risk of cognitive delays for children whose mothers had very high mercury levels during pregnancy or while breast-feeding."

While I really don't want to get involved in the does he or doesn't he of JP's 'illness'; I have to wonder about such a questionable excuse for leaving the show. But moreover, I question the doctor who is providing the information. The whole situation seems odd.

re: Piven out of SPEED-THE-PLOW indefinitely?  Dec 17 2008, 06:23:27 PM
Seems he has a high mercury level. According to an article in variety;

"Jeremy Piven will abruptly end his run in Broadway's "Speed-the-Plow," after missing Tuesday evening's performance and a Wednesday matinee.
According to sources, Piven has informed the producers that he hasn't been feeling well and that the condition is attributable to a high mercury count.

The show's producers weren't returning calls, but Daily Variety reached out to David Mamet, who wrote the showbiz satire and seemed less than convinced by Piven's departure.

"I talked to Jeremy on the phone and he told me that he discovered that he had a very high level of mercury," Mamet said. "So my understanding is that he is leaving show business to pursue a career as a thermometer."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117997561.html?
Piven

EDIT - Sorry for the duplication. Looks like jay and I posted at the same time.

re: Gerald Schoenfeld, Longtime Head of Shubert Organiztion, Passes Away  Nov 25 2008, 12:38:29 PM
Such sad news and so unexpected. Broadway certainly seems to be going through a rough patch.
My thoughts and prayers with Mr.Schoenfeld's family, friends and collegues. May he RIP.

re: Broadway This or That  Nov 23 2008, 11:35:37 AM
1. Plays or Musicals? **Plays
2. Rodgers and Hammerstein or Rodgers and Hart? **Rodgers & Hammerstein (but I love the other as well)
3. LaChiusa Wild Party or Lippa Wild Party?**Lippa Wild Party
4. Ethel Merman or Patti LuPone? **Patti Lupone
5. Andrew Lloyd Webber or Frank Wildhorn? **Frank Wildhorn
6. August: Osage County or Angels in America? **August. I haven't seen 'Angels'.
7. Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire? **I love both.
8. Judy Garland or Liza Minnelli?**Liza with a Z!
9. Ben Brantley or Charles Isherwood? **Ben Brantly
10. Ken Mandelbaum or Peter Filicia?**Ken Mendelbaum
11. John Doyle or Hal Prince? **Hal Prince
12. Matinee or Evening? **Evening
13. Emily Skinner or Alice Ripley?**Alice Ripley
14. "Send in teh Clowns" or "Being Alive"? **Send in the Clowns
15. Ticketmaster or Telecharge?**Telecharge
16. Chicago or A Chorus Line? **A Chorus Line - OBC
17. Michael Bennett or Bob Fosse? **Michael Bennett
18. Theatre or Theater?**Theatre
19. Opening Night or Closing Night?**Opening Night (closings make me sad )
20. "Memory" or "Don't Cry for Me Argentina"?**DCFMA

re: Lights to dim tonight in honor of Clive Barnes  Nov 20 2008, 02:01:42 PM
A much deserved tribute IMO.
Legendary arts critic Clive Barnes has died  Nov 19 2008, 03:14:33 PM
Is this really the time to discuss this guy's shortcomings? How important are they really? If it was such an issue someone should have started an 'I hate Clive Barnes thread' when he was alive.
It comes down to this for me; I didn't agree with him everytime, and no he wasn't always Mr.Congeniality, sometimes he sucked and sometimes I thought him an absolute loon. But geez he was a theatre critic. He did his job; and agree with him or not, I thought did it well. Even when I didn't agree with

Legendary arts critic Clive Barnes has died  Nov 19 2008, 12:00:58 PM
You've said it all Amalia. RIP Mr. Barnes. Sympathies to his family, friends and collegues.
re: How did SA win a Tony?  Nov 7 2008, 07:31:55 AM
I haven't seen the new cast, maybe if you'd see the OBC it would have been a better experience.

That said, I thought SA was over-rated as well. I didn't hate it, but once was enough. My problem was with the Steven Sater adaptation from the original Frank Wedekind play, which is beautifully written and much more engrossing. Not to mention it was an amazingly bold story for the time of its writing. The changes SS made took away from the story IMO. The DS, SS music and lyrics - ehh, at 50 years old it's not likely you'll get me to enjoy a song called Totally F***ed. I did however find the Bitch of Living 'catchy'.

Still it had its good points. The energy of the young cast was a joy to watch and their performances for the most part very good. I thought the lighting was wonderful, loved the starkness of the stage, and for my money Bill T. Jones' choreography was some of the most inovative I've ever encountered. Enhancing and moving the story but not overpowering it. It blended beautifully into the framework of the production. I can't wait to see his genius in Fela!

Personally, I would loved to have seen Grey Gardens win, but it didn't kill me that SA took the spinny thing. So there ya have it - my two cents.

re: Jimmy Nederlander to Producer 'Thriller' the musical based on Michael  Nov 5 2008, 09:33:41 AM
Just. Say. NO!
re: Tony Contenders: Actors in Plays  Oct 30 2008, 06:47:17 AM
Much to early for this...
re: Leachman to join YOUNG FRAKENSTEIN cast?  Oct 29 2008, 03:47:15 PM
"She should spit in Brook's eye!"

Agreed CDP!

This wreck isn't good enough for Ms. Leachman anyway. As much as I adore her, not even she could enhance me into sitting through this again.

If I want to see an entertaining Young Frakenstein with a first rate cast including Ms. Leachman - I'll watch the movie.

re: ATOTC Today - WOW  Oct 27 2008, 07:32:59 AM
I'm glad you and the Mrs. enjoyed the show Mr. Roxy. I saw it a couple of weeks ago with friends and I'm sorry to say I saw the same show as the critics. I, like one of my friends, didn't enjoy it at all; yet the third friend with us thought it was a the best show he'd seen in years. It seems to me there's a bit of a love/hate relationship going on with this show. It did received the obligatory standing ovation at the end; not by all, but those who did stand were very enthusiastic and vocal in their show of appreciation.
Barbour has a booming voice yes, but I've never cared much for his acting style. I found the music forgetable, the lyrics regretable, and the sets and costuming - no big deal. I enjoyed the lighting however.
Admittedly, I found the second act more tolerable than the first but in the end I didn't care much for the show as a whole. I wish all involved the best of luck, but I think it will be a struggle to keep the show open for any length of time; especially with the economy being what it is and theatre patrons having to pick and choose the shows they can afford to see. AToTC, in my opinion, will have the cards stacked heavily against it once the some of the other supposed 'big' musicals come in.
Still, it's part of the variety of Broadway and why NYC is the theatre capitol of the world (IMO). There's a bit of something for everyone.

re: Spamalot closing January 18  Oct 18 2008, 02:52:40 PM
"Bashing Clay is a hard habit to break but its happening, even in the gay press."

Sad isn't it. Bashing of any kind should never become a habit in the first place. Expressing our opinion is wonderful and being critical is just what we all do sometimes, but to relentlessly nitpick and ridicule is just a foolish waste of time.

Anyway. Sometimes a show just runs its course and no amount of stunt casting will save it. Most people who wanted to see Spamalot have most likely already done so. Those who wanted to see Clay, have also probably done so. It only makes sense that his presence wouldn't have the same outcome as his last outing. Now, post notice that the OBC is returning for the final shows and 'Katie bar the door!'. <- That's an old expression for 'trying to hold back a rush' for all you young folks.

re: Spamalot closing January 18  Oct 17 2008, 08:02:08 PM
I know it's not likely, but Spamalot could really go out with a bang if Eric Idle could arrange for the OBC to reprise their roles for the final show/shows. I'd pay top dollar to see them again. That was Spamalot at its best.
re: Most Unexpected Closing Announcement  Oct 15 2008, 08:36:17 AM
The 'Curtains' closing announcement last March caught me totally off guard. I knew it wasn't setting any records, but I thought it would run until at least Labor Day. Most recently, Xanadu. I thought this would run through the holidays. Shows ya what I know.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You