Newsies

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#0Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 4:01pm

have always had a liking for this movie. I think it would make a great stage musical, with an EXCEPTIONAL scenic designer...
And a major downsizing in the number of hoards of young boys...sorry, Father Jim!
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#1re: Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 4:03pm

I definitely agree with you. Newsies would make an incredible show, because the movie was fabulous, and I can actually picture this one on Broadway (or any stage).

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

NuggetMonkeys
#2re: Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 4:05pm

As can I. But as I said, it would need one of the most amazing sets EVER...they would have to show SOOOO much one ONE stage.
"for a dreamer, night is the only time of day."
beautiful score.
love love looovvveee the movie.
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

ProducersFan
#3re: Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 4:08pm

I also love the movie (had a roommate who was practically obsessed and got me into it a bit). I love the soundtrack - especially "Seize the Day." It never received the best reviews so I'm assuming that's why it's been practially lost in the Disney universe. I would love to see it as a musical.

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

NuggetMonkeys
#4re: Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 4:13pm

DOes anyone have the DVD? I do, and it has some great features! It has a Sing-Along .... with the whole movie...and an hour-long documentary about the making, hosted by MAX CASELLA..
NOW IS THE TIME TO SEIZE THE DAYYYY
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

NuggetMonkeys
#5re: Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 4:13pm

DOes anyone have the DVD? I do, and it has some great features! It has a Sing-Along .... with the whole movie...and an hour-long documentary about the making, hosted by MAX CASELLA..
NOW IS THE TIME TO SEIZE THE DAYYYY
-d.b.j-

EDIT: DAMN...sorry guys. I double posted! AGHHHHHH poop

Vary My Days.
Updated On: 8/7/04 at 04:13 PM

FinnFanatic
#6re: Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 4:23pm

The rumor I had heard a WHILE ago was that the same person owned the rights to both NEWSIES and MARY POPPINS. This person was adamant about not giving them up to stage productions. The rights have recently switched hands, and that is why there is a stage version of MARY POPPINS opening soon in London. Perhaps NEWSIES will be next?

NuggetMonkeys
#7re: Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 4:24pm

HOPEFULLY!!!
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

judy_in_disguise
#8re: Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 4:31pm

Newsies was the movie that made me realize boys don't have cooties.

Fan2
#9re: Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 5:14pm

Piece of trivia - Deborra-Lee Furness (Mrs. Hugh Jackman) played "Esther Jacobs" in Newsies. This movie came out in 1992 - Hugh and Deb were married in 1996 (I believe they met in 1995).

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#10re: Newsies
Posted: 8/7/04 at 5:34pm

If you do a search under Newsies you will find 3 or 4 threads where we have already discussed this. But I hadn't heard before that the rights have recently switched hands. I do know MTI is releasing it for it's Broadway Jr. collection so I don't know how that could affect things. I thought they were going to release it as a full length show too but I was sadly mistaken.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

Videos