pixeltracker

Can Lin Miranda write in other musical styles?- Page 2

Can Lin Miranda write in other musical styles?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#25Can Lin Miranda write in other musical styles?
Posted: 4/25/16 at 8:25am

He's writing the music and songs for Disney's Moana, so we'll see what style that ends up being.

I think he certainly can write anything, including a traditional musical score, but his forte and passion is infusing various styles with hip-hop. That's his wheelhouse.

....but the world goes 'round

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#26Can Lin Miranda write in other musical styles?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 12:41am

I don't really understand referring to In The Heights as a hip-hop musical.  In going through the song list, I only count three out of 23 songs that have rap in them - the title song, 96000, and Benny's Dispatch.  The rest are either salsa or pop/ballad styles.  If we are counting partially-rapped scores with a small fraction of the songs being rapped, then shows like Into the Woods and The Music Man could qualify as well.  But i think of In The Heights more as the first heavily salsa-based musical that became popular (not familiar with The Capeman, but i read that it starred Marc Anthony and Ruben Blades, so maybe that one also?  I've never heard the score).  On Your Feet has a couple of salsa songs including Mi Tierra, but i don't really know of any other shows.  There are a couple of shows with one mambo scene (Damn Yankees, Guys and Dolls), but those don't really sound like salsa as in ITH and OYF; more like highly stylized musical theatre versions of mambo.

Anyway, the point being simply that Hamilton and ITH don't sound that similar, as has already been said, and both have a range of styles within them already.    So yes, LMM has written non-hip-hop genres successfully already. 

Updated On: 4/26/16 at 12:41 AM

Broadway Forever2
#27Can Lin Miranda write in other musical styles?
Posted: 4/26/16 at 12:54am

^mm actually you're right. It's always been classified as hip hop inspired musical though haha. I guess the last song is rap and some of the other songs have rap lyrics in them. Like Usnavi's character doesn't really sing much he raps everything he says which is why it's classified as hip hop but it's definitely more latin inspired.

Videos