pixeltracker

Gypsy as a High School Play- Page 2

Gypsy as a High School Play

WW_LV
#25Gypsy as a High School Play
Posted: 5/24/20 at 10:30am

It seems some posters are still missing my point  Thank you to those who do in fact address it

And thank you to the poster who shared how the scenes were staged in their HS production of Gypsy - that was exactly my point.

From what I understand in Guys and Dolls, the "strippers" there clearly are entertaining the characters in the play - NOT the actual audience.

Gypsy for HS needs to be staged such that it's clear she's entertaining an (unseen) burlesque crowd - NOT the real audience.

Understand, we're GOING to applaud at the end of the sequence showing her transition from clumsy and unsure to a huge confident star.  (In the example the poster here referenced, it seems the director even took THAT away, which I'd have to say perhaps goes TOO far - that's not necessary.

Please realize I'm referring to ONE particular HS production I saw (see my original post) where the 4th wall was broken - WE are now the burlesque house audience.  Further, in this case, the strip and (supposed) nudity behind the curtain is a major focus - and the illusion of nudity is never broken as we applaud.

For a HS play, I don't think that's appropriate.  If people disagree, I will accept that.  But understand I'm not objecting to the play itself for HS; nor am I objecting to somehow portraying (non-explicit) strip scenes.

I'm objecting to staging it such that the striptease is seemingly for OUR entertainment.  No different than I'd object to seeing a striptease as an act in HS talent show.

I'm sure it would be wrong to specify the exact YouTube clip I'm referring to.  As I also said, I later saw a couple others I have no objection to - since the directors seemed to recognize what I'm saying and staged it so that's avoided.

There is one in particular where she does in fact strip - but it's incidental and she's "revealed" behind the fans to not be nude before we applaud.  Comparing those two illustrates my point.

broadwayguy2
#26Gypsy as a High School Play
Posted: 5/24/20 at 5:53pm

There are three separate conversations happening here. 1. The material in the show. 2. How people choose to stage the material in the show. 3. Personal feelings as a parent of audience member watching a production.

I won't bother going into the politic of personal opinion and feelings as an audience member or a parent in this matter because I neither, but *I* will say that there is absolutely ZERO logic behind what parents or administrators do or do not find an acceptable for a high school actor to the point that its almost comical and very difficult to predict and can sometimes be an indicator of issues that THEY need to work out, not a reflection of the match of the teen and the material, so it's a loaded and never ending conversation.

As far as the material and the staging, Gypsy called herself a stripper but she is very, VERY expressly someone who does not get nude or show much skin at all. She talks a big talk. She carries herself with restraint. If someone does not understand that, then they really do not understand the show and the characters. The idea behind the series of strips is to not just show Gypsy's growing confidence but the increasing creativity she has in getting a layer of clothing off while still being clothed and the audience of Gypsy being in on that fact.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#27Gypsy as a High School Play
Posted: 5/25/20 at 1:36am

broadwayguy2, thank you. I agree.

Sorry, WW, I have to admit I am having more and more trouble understanding what it is to which you object. I stand by my original statement that you have every right to your reservations, but this particular strip of all strips seems the least problematic because of the character.

I've mentioned this some years before, but as long as we're discussing that number, I want to relate that when Nana Tucker was playing Louise with Angela Lansbury in Fort Lauderdale, there was a "wardrobe malfunction" during the strip one night and the orchestra had to vamp while the wardrobe mistress came out and assisted Nana with the change.

"Louise" ad libbed to the audience, "My clothes don't want to get off me. Can you blame them?"

It brought down the house and I thought it an impressive improvisation for a 19-year-old.

WW_LV
#28Gypsy as a High School Play
Posted: 5/25/20 at 10:55am

Here's my point in one sentence -

I think it's inappropriate for a high school play to stage a striptease as entertainment for the audience that includes moms, dads and other of that age group.

That's my opinion - and I will certainly respect those who disagree.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#29Gypsy as a High School Play
Posted: 5/25/20 at 3:51pm

Yes, we know what your point is.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#30Gypsy as a High School Play
Posted: 5/25/20 at 9:32pm

dramamama611 said: "Comedy roles make most uncomfortable situations easier to handle, which addresses the last two comments. Additionally, there is no nudity insinuation for the Hot Box girls. They only strip to a corset...which is more modest than most bathing suits.

And I've never had a parent not know what role their kid was playing.
"

My point about "Take Back Your Mink" wasn't that the scene is identical to "Let Me Entertain You".

My point was that most teenagers aren't so comfortable with public sensuality that a strip number is going to look like a real lap dance, underlying nudity or no.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#31Gypsy as a High School Play
Posted: 5/25/20 at 9:42pm

dramamama611 said: "Yes, we know what your point is."

In fairness, I asked him again. As broadwayguy2 wrote, there have been several conversations going on in this thread simultaneously.

Of course, the theater audience is the audience for Louise and for Rose in their final numbers. Except for the production that staged the strip with Louise's back to the patrons (a terrible idea, IMHO), what else could they be? And I, for one, don't see the big difference between doing a relatively tame strip for your parents and friends and doing one for some imaginary audience within the narrative.

I hadn't even thought about "Gimmick", but half the numbers in PIPPIN are more sexual than that and I've seen a h.s. PIPPIN.

dmama is certainly right that humor heals a lot of wounds; and Louise's strip is more funny than bawdy. (If it were my show, I might sub something for the reference to "learning Greek", rules or no rules.)

Given the emphasis on Louise's refusal to really bump-and-grind, I can think of dozens of numbers that are more problematic for late teens. Anyone listened to the lyrics of "The Lusty Month of May" lately?

Videos