pixeltracker

Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com- Page 2

Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com

jo
#25re: re: This Time It's Personal
Posted: 7/5/03 at 3:46am

KEC,

I had forgotten that Discount Music came out with an NTSC version - is that still available or was that a limited edition?

jo

kec Profile Photo
kec
#26re: re: re: This Time It's Personal
Posted: 7/5/03 at 4:15am

I checked their website this morning to be sure it was available, and it is still listed. I know their NTSC dvd of The Making of Chitty... was supposed to be limited, but I think they have that still listed as well.

DofB5
#27 This Time It's Personal
Posted: 7/5/03 at 10:42am

Thanks for info but I found it pretty cheep on Half.Com. It's already ordered. I'm still looking for a version of "Sunset Blvd" that I heard a long time ago. I have one but it's not the same. How many versions did he do? I think it may have been done as a single.

D

Maria
#28re: re: re: re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/5/03 at 1:16pm

I hope they don't consider the Minskoff. It's jinxed.

JakeB
#29re: re: re: re: re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/5/03 at 3:44pm

Anyway, who cares Michael Ball is leaving. Replacing him is the excellent Gary Wilmot.. go see him.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#30re: This Time It's Personal
Posted: 7/5/03 at 4:19pm

The only version I know is the one that was on his Musicals CD, and was repeated on his latest compilation. I think there may have been a single before the play came about, but Jo could probably tell you better than I. He also sings it on his Musicals and More DVD -- and it's excellent!

kec Profile Photo
kec
#31re: re: re: re: re: re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/5/03 at 4:22pm

Ah, Jake, if I lived in London, I would be interested to see Mr. Wilmont's interpretation of the part. I've heard a lot of great things about him. Sadly, though, I don't live in London, so it must wait until I next visit that fair city.

DofB5
#32 Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/5/03 at 5:07pm

Yeah, who cares if he leaves London--so long as he comes to the States!  Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
D

sharon1
#33re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/5/03 at 10:22pm

Jake
I too would be interested in seeing Mr. Wilmot. I understand he is a terrific performer. Everyone thinks he will do a bang up job as the next Mr. Potts. What we are saying is that we would like to see MB reprise his role on Broadway. That's it. We also admit that Mr. Ball had some naysayers before he took the role. But apparently to the audiences and the producers he has more than proven himself. He is a wonderful singer and a consumate entertainer, and we would like to see more of him over here. I wish Mr. Wilmot all the best in his new endeavor and I am sure he will be a success

JakeB
#34re: re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/6/03 at 9:17am

I've seen Gary Wilmot in a few things now too, he's very talented.

Has anyone seen the posters on the London Underground? They're really stupid, they have Gary sitting on the front of the bonnet of Chitty! The ones with Michael Ball 'leaving 19th July' were even funnier, he was just standing there looking like a lost puppy dog.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#35re: re: re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/6/03 at 11:34am

I haven't seen the posters for Gary Wilmont, as the announcement about his arrival came after my last trip to London. But I did see the posters for Michael's departure, and I didn't think they were too bad at all. But then, my opinion might be just slightly biased re: re: re:  Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com

DofB5
#36 Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/6/03 at 1:24pm

For those in the States--CCBB is on right now on TCM! It's giving me a chance to hear all the songs again.

Updated On: 7/6/03 at 01:24 PM

sharon1
#37re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/6/03 at 4:06pm

Saw a photo of the poster of Michael Ball. I thought it was kind of cute. Kind of goofy very appealing to a child or family. Kind of like Caractacus Potts. Haven't seen the new one. I am sure it has a certain appeal too. There have been posters though that haven't appealed to me though, that otheres loved. Can't please everyone. And they do research what might be appealing.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#38re: re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/6/03 at 4:29pm

re: re:  Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com

I'm assuming this is the poster being discussed. re: re:  Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com (Scanned from the Evening Standard magazine supplement dated June 19) Updated On: 7/6/03 at 04:29 PM

DofB5
#39Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/6/03 at 4:49pm

Cool poster. I like it but it seems odd to say in big letters--"Last Chance to see Michael Ball as Caractacus Potts until July 19" and then have "Now booking until March 2004". It might confuse some people. It should have said something like "Michael Ball until July 19, 2003. So and so will take over the role after that--Now booking thru March 2004". Or maybe it's just me.

D

kec Profile Photo
kec
#40re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/6/03 at 5:10pm

Some people did find it strange that they would announce that the booking period was extended to March 2004, when they hadn't yet announced Michael's replacement.

As Jake said, new posters are apparently popping up now with the picture of the new Caractacus, and I've read that the ones with Michael on them will disappear -- either pulled down by the Underground staff or Michael fans, who knows? re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com

I remember last summer seeing a funny one for the departure of Richard O'Brien, who originated the role of the Child Catcher. It showed his picture and the headline read "Come and Hiss him Goodbye!" Referring to the fact that every time the Child Catcher made his appearance he was greeted with a hearty round of boos and hisses. re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com

sharon1
#41re: re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/6/03 at 5:45pm

I think the poster looks like a friendly invite. He looks like Potts should. Oh well. Can't make everyone look happy. I mean it is a comedy.

bds
#42re: This Time It's Personal
Posted: 7/7/03 at 2:26am

D,

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but there is a 1993 version of Sunset Boulevard on The Best of M.B.
I have seen this particular CD in a few stores in the states although it is a rare sighting.

jo
#43re: re: This Time It's Personal
Posted: 7/7/03 at 6:54am

D,

Michael did record and release a single of Sunset Boulevard, around the time that the show opened in London. Interesting to note that it was he, not Kevin Anderson ( who originated the role of Joe Gillis on stage) who was asked by Andrew Lloyd Webber to release the calling card- song for the show. Btw, when Andrew Lloyd Webber first premiered the concept score in his estate in Sydmonton ( he does this for all his new works), it was Michael whom he asked to sing the songs of Joe Gillis first. Perhaps, he had Michael in mind initially for the role but opted for an American actor for the London premiere if he had Broadway eventually in mind for the show.

jo

jo
#44re: re: re: This Time It's Personal
Posted: 7/7/03 at 7:06am

D - again re: re: re:  This Time It's Personal

Btw, he has performed the song Sunset Boulevard both in the video/dvd of "The Musicals...and More" and in one of the episodes of his TV series in the either 1993 or 1994. With Michael, it's not enough to just hear him sing a song - it's even much better when you see him act out the song! Sunset Boulevard is one of his best musical theatre songs.

Have you heard him sing "Unsettled Scores" ( the main song of The Man in "Whistle Down the Wind" - not the cast album but the album performed by different well-known singers) and "Anthem" from "Chess"? Excellent interpretations on top of a great voice - he does best when "emoting" a song!

jo

#45re: re: This Time It's Personal
Posted: 7/7/03 at 7:23am

Michael has done a grand job in CCBB.There were those he said he wouldn't have the ability or stamina for the role when he was cast but he has certainly proved them all wrong.The Hushabye Reprise that was added recently at last gives him chance to use his voice as I don't think the score has been to much of a strain for either Michael(or after hearing her at Harrogate,Emma Williams).

I noticed the poster for Gary Wilmot in yesterdays Mail on Sunday
I kind of like the one of Michael it is very inkeeping with the character.I'm not a fan of Gary Wilmot's but I'm planning a trip down to see the show again after the 19th.It will be interesting
to see how he approaches the role and what,if anything is left in or taken out.I have to say my real reason for going is to see Wayne Sleep as the childcatcher.

D~ fleeting visit,hi.You must get TTIP if you can,it has grown on many fans since it's release in 2000,me I loved it from the off especially 'Never Coming Back'.Still my favourite album to date,although the more I hear about the new one,the more I like the sound of it to.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#46re: re: re: re: This Time It's Personal
Posted: 7/7/03 at 7:44am

Jo, I have to agree with you about watching Michael as he sings a song. I watched Musicals and More over the weekend, and really watched his expressions this time. In particular I noticed his face and mannerisms as he sang both Sunset Boulevard and All I Ask of You. In the latter, he was the devoted lover reassuring his lady of his desire to keep her safe. In the former, he WAS that cynical writer -- the look on his face was amazing. I haven't seen him perform Anthem, but the first time I heard him sing it I almost cried re: re: re: re:  This Time It's Personal

Ria -- you lucky thing, you were at Harrogate?!?!? I was so disappointed that I had to leave London that day instead of heading north. I've heard such wonderful things about Emma's capabilities as a singer -- she was fantastic as Truly, but as you say, it wasn't that much of a challenge musically. I hope to hear her do more singing in the future, and I hope she will be Michael's special guest on his upcoming tour.

Never Coming Back is one of my favorites from TTIP as well re: re: re: re:  This Time It's Personal

LittleAngelMaker Profile Photo
LittleAngelMaker
#47re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/7/03 at 10:14am

I don't remember where I heard it, but rumor has it that Donny Osmond is being considered for the role of Caractacus Potts when Chitty comes to Broadway. I wrote a letter to the producers and told them that if they weren't bringing Michael Ball over with the show, that they shouldn't bother bringing the show at all.

Corey

jo
#48re: re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/7/03 at 11:36am

kec,

Michael sang ANTHEM in one episode in the second year of his TV series. He sang it with a male voice choir from Wales ( Michael is part-Welsh) - and it was really heart-stirring. His last note in the song was unbelievable ( even better than the famous B-flat from Love Changes Everything) - sadly, it was not repeated when he eventually recorded the song for The Musicals album.

jo

sharon1
#49re: re: re: Michael Ball Leaves London Chitty to Launch U.K. Tour - playbill.com
Posted: 7/7/03 at 12:43pm

Now we have a lineup of people mentioned to play Potts. Donny Osmond, Ricky Martin, Kenneth Branagh, and Michael Ball. Who shall we mention next??? I guess the rumors fly when a show is as highly anticipated.

Videos