Sweet Smell Of Success

cserannie
#25re: Sweet Smell Of Success
Posted: 8/9/05 at 10:02am

Well, I saw the original film and I listened to the Cast Recording and I adore both. I saw a clip from the Tony ceremony plus I love John and Brian. Probably I wouldn't have run out from the theatre...

Norbert Leo Butz quotes about John Lithgow: "He's really clumsy. One of the joys in life is to watch a great big huge man totally wipe out backstage. It takes John about three minutes to hit the floor. It's like watching a Great Sequoia falling gracelessly."

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#26re: Sweet Smell Of Success
Posted: 8/9/05 at 10:06am

Kelli's Susan and her boyfriend Dallas were the most pale, boring roles in that show, far worse than the roles in the movie. But I love John Lithgow's JJ. both funny and coldhearted. JJ in the movie is simply a monster. Lithgow added his own touch and worked very well.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#27re: Sweet Smell Of Success
Posted: 8/9/05 at 10:45am

It sounds much better on CD, without John Guare's wooden book weighing it down.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#28re: Sweet Smell Of Success
Posted: 8/9/05 at 10:53am

I saw the production in Chicago and it was so-so. A handful of good songs - At the Fountain, Don't Know Where You Leave Off, Dirt, Rita's Number. And a memorable set design. That was about it. Hated the characters and found the pace to be plodding. I think it was a good idea that never really took off. I have no idea why Lithgow won the Tony (nor did I understand how Cullum was nominated over Foster). Foster deserved the Tony that year, but hey, I'm not allowed to vote, so it doesn't matter. I just didn't see Lithgow deliver anything special or even memorable in the show. Personally, I thought he played a better villain in Buckaroo Bonzai.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos