pixeltracker

After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?- Page 3

After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#50re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 7:44pm

What Theatreguy2 said.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

#51re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 7:46pm

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was yet another one of those mocking Wicked lovers - the concept seemed to be an over-the-top satirization of someone taking things much too far.

Then I opened it up just to see who was posting and found what I'm assuming is a real discussion. I am left - um, 'dazed' I guess is the right word - and even feeling mildly sick.

Fans of the film, which has won a deserved iconic status, can only stand back and wonder at the absurdity. And we won't get into what anyone who is at all familiar with L. Frank Baum would think.

After all the times I have taken offense at the severe drubbing that some Wicked fans are subjected to, it would be too hypocritical of me to say what I really think about this thread.

Merrydothe Profile Photo
Merrydothe
#52re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 7:48pm

Sorry, I just meant that in Wicked, she might have been given the label of evil for "killing Elphaba" just my little thing, no one said it before me. Sorry :)

BSoBW2
#53re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 7:53pm

Merry,

I do remember hearing that before - I think in an interview with one of the Wicked production staff ppl - schwartz or maybe someone from the cast....

they said something about making the Wizard and Dorothy seemingly the "wicked" ones...

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#54re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 8:00pm

What a sorry state our "future" is in if this thread is seriously three plus pages. Parents lock your darn computers up and get your kids a real education! Are you kidding me with this topic, for SHAME!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#55re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 8:02pm

It really is a shame that kids (I'm hoping most of these people are kids) would dismiss and start to dislike a classic *original* movie because of the poorly written, awful "prequel" musical now on Broadway. That is VERY sad.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BSoBW2
#56re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 8:05pm

I take them as two different works of art (let's not argue over the term art).

Now, there are three stories that have been adapted from L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz:

• The Wizard of Oz
  • The Wiz
  • Wicked

• munkustrap178 Profile Photo
    munkustrap178
    #57re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
    Posted: 12/21/04 at 8:09pm

I would disagree. From the original book, there has been THE WIZARD OF OZ, and THE WIZ. WICKED puts itself out there as a prequel to THE WIZARD OF OZ, therefore not seperate at all. What makes it so crappy is that it doesn't work.

BSoBW2
    #58re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
    Posted: 12/21/04 at 8:12pm

Adapted meaning a new way of understanding the story...

Feodor Sverdlov
    #59re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
    Posted: 12/21/04 at 8:13pm

I didn't like "Wicked" so, yes, I can still watch "The Wizard of Oz" and love it.

scooter3843

Jwaa
    #60re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
    Posted: 12/21/04 at 8:22pm

"i wouldnt say im all against it, but i do sit ther and yell at the tv...NO the scarcrow's Fyerio, and NO! the wizard is evil...glinda is really GA-linda...u all get the point "

I totally agree!!! I do this aswell!

Merrydothe Profile Photo
    Merrydothe
    #61re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
    Posted: 12/22/04 at 5:14pm

I agree with BSoBW2. All separate.

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
    MaTakeALookAtMe
    #62re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
    Posted: 12/22/04 at 5:17pm

OMG...there's like a sequel to Wicked already? I don't think it'll be any good without Idina!!!!

I've not seen Wicked and watching Wizard of Oz again made me want to see it even more. I found myself being sympathetic to the Witch.

Updated On: 12/22/04 at 05:17 PM

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
    MasterLcZ
    #63re: After Seeing Wicked, Could You Watch The Wizard Of Oz The Same?
    Posted: 12/22/04 at 5:45pm

The first casting choice for the Wicked Witch in OZ was not Margaret Hamilton: it was the very glamorous and now totally forgotten Gale Sondergaard. Originially, MGM planned to model the witch on the evil queen of Disney's SNOW WHITE, complete with a slinky clinging black evening gown and witch's hat with black sequins.

Had this happened, the film would have been even more of a gay masterpiece than it is now, if that's even possible.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
    papalovesmambo
    #64wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/22/04 at 5:56pm

i can't believe you people can defend that movie now that wicked has shown how cruelly and wrongly it portrayed elphaba. it was not only demeaning to witches, but to green people in general and contributed nothing but a stigma that continues to this day. i can only hope that wicked will run long enough to show people that green witches are people too deserving of our love and affection and that just because you fly on a bubble and sound like you spent too much time at the helium tank doesn't make you a good person. i hate that awful movie now that i know the truth!

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
    Updated On: 12/22/04 at 05:56 PM

Wicked .. For Good
    #65wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/22/04 at 9:24pm

papa, that's EXACTLY how I feel.

I couldn't agree more.

Okk, and this thread is asking a simple question. No need to flip out.

"sing til you're breaking glass, or you're breaking down.."

VIETgrlTerifa
    #66wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/22/04 at 10:30pm

I think people are overreacting and being a bit harsh to some of the posters. Regarding the demise of the future American generation, everyone acts like an idiot when they are maturing. It's all a part of growing up. You end up being obsessed over things and have an unatural loyalty to it. Of course there are some that never grow out it.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."
    Updated On: 12/22/04 at 10:30 PM

Merrydothe Profile Photo
    Merrydothe
    #67wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/23/04 at 12:10am

"i hate that awful movie now that i know the truth! "

Papa,

I think you need to step back and realize that The Wizard of Oz, came first. Take a little pause and think about that. I'd hardly call one of the greatest movie classics of our time "awful." While I love Wicked probably as much as you do, I can realize that it is not a reflection of Real Life, and it is not the end all and be all of the Universe. This thread really is getting funny. Sorry for feeding it.

Feodor Sverdlov
    #68wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/23/04 at 12:41am

I assumed that Papa was joking!

scooter3843

dotmarie Profile Photo
    dotmarie
    #69wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/23/04 at 12:52am

Margaret Hamilton wasn't ugly!

=(

perfusion Profile Photo
    perfusion
    #70wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/23/04 at 2:54pm

HIP,HIP,HURRAY... Let's hear it for THE WIZ SONDHEIMMAN...
    I am a total OZ freak, I love all things OZ,but I look at it through Elphabas eyes now .
    Things are 'nt always what they seem.
    there are two sides to every story.

SuddenlyMara
    #71wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/23/04 at 3:42pm

When I watch WOO now, the most I feel is a bit sorry for Elphaba and how her life went, not much more.

And to those of you whining about all the inconsistencies in the book, movie, and play, calm down. This is entertainment, not a science.

BSoBW2
    #72wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/23/04 at 3:49pm

wicked witches under the wickets and wicked witches under the wickets and wicked witches under the wickets

AND the original WICKED WITCH wicked witches under the wickets

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
    MaTakeALookAtMe
    #73wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:03pm

Wow...that would have been different!!!

SuddenlyMara
    #74wicked witches under the wickets
    Posted: 12/23/04 at 4:04pm

On that note, does anyone know why they decided to make the witch ugly?

Videos