pixeltracker

Glory Days Closing: Just Ridiculous- Page 3

Glory Days Closing: Just Ridiculous

#50re: Glory Days Closing: Just Ridiculous
Posted: 5/10/08 at 2:17pm

OT, but:
The next question, for future discussions, is what will happen to the show "Ace" which is supposed to be doing a pre-broadway development production at Signature, with Shaeffer at the helm. If I were the producers, I would pull that show, or demand that another director direct the show at Signature. I think that if Eric directs it, it is doomed as far as Broadway is concerned.

What?? Oh, god, no. Ace is a marvelous show, as far as I'm concerned. He better not ruin it.

Anyone wanna go Assassins with me??

musicalman2
#51re: Glory Days Closing: Just Ridiculous
Posted: 5/10/08 at 2:35pm

Best of Broadway,

I have no vendetta. If you think that the DC actors generally think highly of him, then you are probably not speaking with the right people. Many feel he has sold out Signature for his own ambition. He has bumped actors from roles promised to them to bring in someone from New York, because he thought he could get a show to Broadway better that way. He regularly ignores actor concerns, and often gives very little direction. I appreciate you're a theater patron. So am I. I agree with much of what you said about Arena Stage. But Shaeffer's work does not hold a candle to Joe Calarco's for instance, nor does it come any where near the direction of numerous Broadway musicals. Most importantly, this "miss" was not simply a miss. It was a waste . . it could have been avoided. Shaeffer (and the producers as I have also said) deserves all the credit/blame for not working on this show before rushing it to Broadway. I am sorry if you don't like it but it's true.

musicalman2
#52re: Glory Days Closing: Just Ridiculous
Posted: 5/10/08 at 2:43pm

Too Darn Hot,

I agree with you that the material is weak. We are speaking only about the decision to take it to Broadway. I had no quarrel with his doing it at Signature. That is part of the development process, although I did not actually think it should have even been performed there in a full production at those high prices, until it was worked on more.

It is the decision to move it to Broadway that I fault. The producers and Eric are to blame.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#53re: Glory Days Closing: Just Ridiculous
Posted: 5/10/08 at 3:05pm

Apparently there's someone in NYC who hasn't gotten word of closing yet. I was just walking down 8th about 2 hours ago and passed a couple of people where the guy had a Glory Days playbill and they were talking about going to try and catch the guys before the show to get autographs. They passed me before I figured out how to tell them nicely...

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Videos