Religious Actors

Jazzysuite82
#75re: Religious Actors
Posted: 3/8/07 at 7:45pm

Broadwaygirl, I'm sort of in agreement with you personally. I'm totally open to playing a rapist or a child molester or a murderer or..a GAY...ok joke, I'm gay. However, I think if a person wants to refuse that role for personal reasons, it's their right and they shouldn't be judged for that. I'm just opposed to saying that an actor who isn't open to any and every little thing that comes down the pike ins't good and shouldn't be acting. Regardless of how the example I made read, the point is the same. We all make choices and we're entitled to them.

Alphadog2
#76re: Religious Actors
Posted: 3/8/07 at 8:28pm

Perhaps, BroadwayGirl, if you would get down from your high horse for a moment, you would consider that my point is that Julianne Moore is in no position to tell other actors what is unprofessional.

touchmeinthemorning
#77re: Religious Actors
Posted: 3/8/07 at 10:26pm

Was someone on a high horse and I missed it? Damn.

I think the point here is exactly what BroadwayGirl said -- it's about the message of the play, not the content. There is no redemption without sin. We must represent sin on stage if there is to be anything to redeem. As long as that redemption happens, I'm fine. Sometimes it happens in small ways, and other times in big.

To me, the question isn't "Can I do this play and be okay", but "is this play worth doing"...if it isn't clear to me the power of the show, why do it? The actors that I know that are the happiest are those who are interested in telling stories of redemption and hope more than professional achievement.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Videos