pixeltracker

my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)- Page 4

my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:46am

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 12:46 AM

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#76re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 6:28am

I must say I have always giggled about people including this show in too many tony nominations slots (especially the score category).

This show is lacking in so many aspects, it should go on tour and avoid Broadway.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#77re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 11:03am

Boy, am I glad I only paid a few bucks for this crap!

DREADFUL!

Luckily, I was in the Orchestra, Row U, and throughout the whole first act, I got to watch as people in front of me got up and left, which was a heck of a lot more entertaining than what was going on on stage.

Then a whole SLEW of folks fled at intermission.

About one row in the Mezzanine was filled. The rest, EMPTY.

Worse than GREASE. Worse than ALL SHOOK UP. Worse than IN MY LIFE, which at least had some shock value going for it.

Absolutely HORRENDOUS!

The set looks like it cost $1000 total. It doesn't even fill half of the Marquis stage.

If you get comps and you're a gay man or a straight woman, it may be worth sitting through just to enjoy Spencer Liff's abs.

Otherwise, don't waste your time or money.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#78re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 11:06am

I think my out-of-town friend whom I'm dragging to this on Saturday is going to hate me forever.

bigred3535
#79re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 11:15am

Since so many people are hating on this, I gotta say that I liked it.

It definitely needs a lot of work, especially lyrically, but I think that some people are missing the point (which it took me a while to get) that it's a satire of things like Grease. So if the lyrics of "Inject Me With Your Love" or "Nothing Bad's Ever Going to Happen Again" seem stupid, that's because they're supposed to be. The leads gave the weakest performances, although they both grew on me as the show went on, but the show was carried by supporting performers. Chris Hanke was brilliantly smarmy and funny (but not in the generically typical way of 80's high school movies), Harriet Harris had lots of great moments (though her song was too long and off-pitch at points), Alli Mauzey was HILARIOUS as Cry-Baby's stalker, and Chester Gregory showed off an incredible voice as Cry-Baby's best friend.

The choreography was the best part of the show, in my opinion. It was really athletic and tough but the ensemble pulled it off with style. The end of the first act is too long, and I think the lyrics in songs like "Nobody Gets Me" need to be WAY more over the top so people get the satirical aspect of the show, but all in all it was a lot of fun and I think it's getting a bum wrap from people on the boards.

bigred3535
#80re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 11:19am

And I met John Waters, which was cool.

Yankeefan007
#81re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 11:19am

No, no, no. I got that it's a satire 50s. I think EVERYONE knows it's a satire of the 50s.

But there are clever, creative satires, like GREASE, and then there are uninspired, bland messes that think they can get by with half-rate material, like CRY-BABY.

I'm glad you liked it, though.

bigred3535
#82re: my thoughts on Cry-Baby (March 17, 2008)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 11:23am

Just read your review, YankeeFan, and agreed with some of it. But like I say, I enjoyed it and would definitely not call it the worst musical I've ever seen.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr

Videos