News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)- Page 6

SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#125re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:21pm

Wow, quite the debate we have here.

To me, it's like you're saying "Melchior should have done x," but... did he know enough to figure that out? Maybe not. You're saying realistically, he should have known to pull out -- but the naivete the show suggests in these characters leads me wonder if he truly did not know any better. That seems to be the tragedy of it all in the sense that they spiral so far down from their innocence.

I'm not saying that Melchior should have "tried to pull out," or anything like that, since I think that would be pretty absurd (and quite difficult to stage?), but I think it is a material point that he probably knew that sex leads to pregnancy. And probably either didn't consider it or didn't care. He's presented as the one character who actually does know these things...a tempter of sorts. Part of the tragedy of the piece is that Melchior knows more than everyone else, and he imparts knowledge to them -- selectively -- that eventually leads to their downfall within the confines of the repressive society. I'm fine with the plot being as it is now, but I wish there had been more exploration of Melchior's actual feelings, motivations, guilt, etc.

I do think that they tried to make Melchior the tragic hero of the show and really want audiences to genuinely like and relate to him, as evidenced (IMO) by the change of the sex scene from rape to consensual sex. But in this, I don't feel that they were entirely successful. He thinks that he's liberating them, but I think that there's also a fair measure of selfishness in his actions. His actions lead them to tragic ends, and those can ultimately be traced back to the social structure that prevents them (all but him, I'm assuming) from knowing these consequences, but I see Melchior as far from blameless. I wish that they had actually embraced this and explored it more.

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#126re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:22pm

Siamese Dream's points should be made into a powerpoint presentation that all participants of this thread should read before commenting.

'cause that's what happens in the corner ya missed out on, hun.
(to BSo) Updated On: 2/20/07 at 04:22 PM

BSoBW2
#127re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:23pm

Pulling out is such a cop out.

And has very little to do with anything.

Besides, the best part is the last part. The shame is that could lead to a baby.

But abortion kills!

Marlene - MOTORBOAT? Updated On: 2/20/07 at 04:23 PM

brainpolice23
#128re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:24pm

****. i meant to take sci off after seeing a 2-set show recently. although, they are a decent festival band. i don't update my myspace enough...although i guess bisco and string cheese can be fun for those who roll. but dark star orchestra is fun to see on occasion, and they are actually tighter than the dead.

pay attention to the other bands though frances. umphrey's is playing at nokia on 4/13...and no doubt that show will blow your mind. they are probably the most musically talented band out there presently. if you want, i can send you a cd. also, i think there is an mmw/john zorn/marc ribot show on march 1st, the same night as that chris garneau show. should be a doozy.

motorboat = what georg does to his piano teacher.
Updated On: 2/20/07 at 04:24 PM

stagegrrrl
#129re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:25pm

brain police here's some ladies for you:

joanna newsom
beth orton
loreena mckennit
the be good tanyas
the wailin jennies
regina spektor
jenny lewis and the watson twins
coco rosie
old joan baez and joni mitchell
and just some good bands that i am digging now and forever:
the decemberists
the shins
the yeah yeah yeahs
clap your hands say yeah
sufjan stevens
iron and wine
death cab for cutie

on your list i love floyd and the dead but have a deep dark hatred of the doors!

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#130re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:26pm

Everyone knows that you should follow through, and just cross your fingers for the best, duh.

Oui, le dictionnaire urbain...
[basically what stagegrrrl described can be coined as "motorboat"] Updated On: 2/20/07 at 04:26 PM

#131re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:27pm

How about the angry girl singers? Tori Amos, PJ Harvey, Ani DiFranco, early Liz Phair, Fiona Apple... love them.

And I'm all fine and good with everyone's musical tastes until someone mentions Neutral Milk Hotel. (Kidding... kind of.)

BSoBW2
#132re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:29pm

OH!

I can't understand a damn thing brainpolice says with all these quotes from Wedekind biographies. (re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers))But I get it now.

I know motorboat, but I forgot I asked what happens in the corner (hell, I didn't even know what was meant by corner). Then I had no idea what Marlene meant when SHE said in the corner.

"Everyone knows that you should follow through, and just cross your fingers for the best, duh. "

WHAT?

brainpolice23
#133re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:32pm

"brain police here's some ladies for you:

joanna newsom
beth orton
loreena mckennit
the be good tanyas
the wailin jennies
regina spektor
jenny lewis and the watson twins
coco rosie
old joan baez and joni mitchell
and just some good bands that i am digging now and forever:
the decemberists
the shins
the yeah yeah yeahs
clap your hands say yeah
sufjan stevens
iron and wine
death cab for cutie"

on your list i love floyd and the dead but have a deep dark hatred of the doors!

i thought the new decembrists and shins albums were a bit contrived...you might dig "the Kooks" and "the Frames." never been a fan of death cab, but saw clap your hands say yeah at summerstage when i was volunteering...and they were pretty fun. i'm starting to like regina spektor more, mainly because her concerts bring a mass abundance of very attractive girls. joan baez is fantastic, and i think recently kaki king is sort of aiming to go in that direction. i understand your hatred for the doors, mainly their weak instrumental ability (especially that awful organ solo in "light my fire") but i've always enjoyed jim morrison's singing. i'll definitely check out the other singers you mentioned...thanks for the input.

edited to add: definitely check out the benevento russo duo as well. Updated On: 2/20/07 at 04:32 PM

stagegrrrl
#134re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:35pm

love me some ani!
tori i haven't been into for years but heard good buzz about the forthcoming album.

BSoBW2
#135re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:36pm

I like many of these bands listed...but please tell me you have had these lists typed up for some time?

How did I arrive in a place like this? Red right hand does the alligator kiss...Satan SAID DANCE!

brainpolice23
#136re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:37pm

my friend's parents are really tight with dar williams and i have been offered seats multiple times...although i figure i would not fit in with the dar williams or ani difranco crowds, as i am a dude first off, who likes girls. welcome to the freak show, here we go.
Updated On: 2/20/07 at 04:37 PM

stagegrrrl
#137re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:38pm

oh my god really? i loved the crane wife! it was amazing!joanna newsom the milk eyed mender changed my world. joni mitchell blue one of the best albums of all time. the be good tanyas go for the album blue horse. not a bad track.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#138re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:40pm

This is reminding me that I haven't even heard the new Shins album! That's seriously a crime. Oh, Inverted World is one of my favorites, and I loved Chutes Too Narrow, too, although to a lesser extent.

I need to get more into chick singers. Are you still making me a CD, siamese?

BSoBW2
#139re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:41pm

Yeah, brainpolice?

I just worked a Dar Williams/Nickel Creek concert - same venue, different spaces. She was outside.

I missed her because I had been working for 5 hours and that's when I had my break before Nickel Creek. But she sounded great - and sure did bring out the crowds.
Updated On: 2/20/07 at 04:41 PM

stagegrrrl
#140re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:41pm

nice BSO! jack white rules!
there are tons of men at ani concerts.
heck there are even straight guys at indigo girls concerts.
if you want to watch lesbians make out it's a pretty good place to be!

brainpolice23
#141re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:42pm

i remember reading something about joanna newsom and neko case some time back. the crane wife didn't really do it for me, it seemed a bit tired. fiona apple put on a good show at summerstage as well...best way to get community service. it would be cool if we could start talking about jazz, although i have nothing against female acoustic guitar players.

#142re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:44pm

Are you still making me a CD, siamese?

You're actually going to listen to it? :P Heh, no, of course I will! I don't know if I should go with the more intense songs or the more accessible ones, though. Maybe a combination of both.

"The making of a good mix tape..." - sorry. Wrong thread!

BSoBW2
#143re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:44pm

"if you want to watch lesbians make out it's a pretty good place to be!"

ALWAYS!

But you are quite right, brainpolice. The concert was heavily populated with women. I actually had to walk through the audience and received these odd looks. Maybe it was the bright yellow shirt I had to wear...

I haven't been to a concert (that I didn't work) in a long time, though.
Updated On: 2/20/07 at 04:44 PM

brainpolice23
#144re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:50pm

back to jazz talk. stagegrrl, back when i was doing my ill-fated music theory project on "don't do sadness," i sent ben kalb a copy of my transcription/arrangement, and a cd of my band, and one by the amazing jazz wind player eric dolphy. i'd skip over the first two things, and see if you could find the dolphy cd. the guy's a freak.

stagegrrrl
#145re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:53pm

wow.
we have unintentionally jacked the "why SA is overrated" thread with our "critique of contemporary music" thread.
oops

BSoBW2
#146re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:55pm

Quick, someone add Duncan Sheik to one of these lists!

#147re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:56pm

Totally unintentional, I'm sure, stagegrrrl. re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)

No, it's fine - it was bound to be jacked at some point, and I think the thread slipped into repetition a while ago. Updated On: 2/20/07 at 04:56 PM

brainpolice23
#148re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:57pm

no worries, there are still 5 pages filled with stuff. anywhom...i hope some of you guys saw David Byrne at Carnegie Hall at the beginning of February. I caught his theatre piece "Here Lies Love" about Imelda Marcos, and it was awesome. David Byrne is probably the best person in the world...next to of course Jon Groff, or as numerous people love to say "my husband" or "(drool)"

i am barely breathing was the most inspirational song i have ever heard... it was like, ****, that's what caring is.
Updated On: 2/20/07 at 04:57 PM

stagegrrrl
#149re: SPRING AWAKENING - 2/19/07 - Review (with Spoilers)
Posted: 2/20/07 at 4:57pm

i love duncan but...no.

Videos