#1THE ATMOSPHERE OF MEMORY
Posted: 10/20/11 at 12:48am

Has anyone seen this yet?
Is it worth going to?

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#2THE ATMOSPHERE OF MEMORY
Posted: 10/20/11 at 1:39pm

The plot itself is not that interesting. I found some parts very funny though. Since the venue was very small I found the some of the audience looking at me cause I was still laughing. John Glover is the highlight in the cast. Ellen Burstyn was excellent. Some of the ensemble were better than others. I do not go to many off or off off broadway or underground shows (don't know which it would be) but I definitely got my money's worth. The theater held maybe 50 seats at most and it was only about 3/4 full. GO GO GO to it. Best $30 spent in a while. Again, the plot itself did not feel strong. But the acting of Glover and Burstyn more than made up for it. The intimacy of the theater makes for some awkward moments (as the play is somewhat sexualized) but just makes it even more enjoyable.

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2THE ATMOSPHERE OF MEMORY
Posted: 10/21/11 at 12:47am

Saw this tonight-
I would really only recommend it if you're a big John Glover fan. He runs away with the whole thing and turns in a deliciously, darkly comedic performance. Everyone else is just fine, but the play didn't do much for me so it was hard for them to make an impact.

The plot deals with John (Max Casella, doing good work)who has written a play about his wife. His mother (a somewhat wasted Ellen Burstyn) happens to be an actress and is going to play his mother figure in his play. This is an unlikely setup to begin with, but I guess you go with it. Then it gets all, what's the play, what's reality?

I felt like I was seeing a rough draft of the play. There were some laughs to be had for sure, but it didn't feel satisfying by the end. The worst part though was I don't think it showcased the talents of Ellen Burstyn. She has some moments- gets a funny bit about when she found the sheets after her son started having wet dreams- but when you have an actress as versatile and wonderful as Burstyn you've got to use her to better effect.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!