pixeltracker

NPH Trying To Get Play Performances Featured On The Tony Awards - Page 2

NPH Trying To Get Play Performances Featured On The Tony Awards

Ed_Mottershead
#25NPH Trying To Get Play Performances Featured On The Tony Awards
Posted: 6/2/12 at 5:15pm

Whatever happens, PLEASE don't try to interweave lines from all the nominated plays in no particular order, rhyme or reason, like they did that one time that Kevin Spacey masterminded the idea. One of the most embarrassing moments I've ever seen on television.

BroadwayEd

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#26NPH Trying To Get Play Performances Featured On The Tony Awards
Posted: 6/2/12 at 9:45pm

A cable network could give the show 3 hours, no West Coast delay and even stream on line. Even repeat the show. But, the Tonys would have to cut the license fee, and that's good.

Moonves has been a strong supporter of the Tonys over the years when others at the network considered ditching it. (remember the PBS experiment)

Let's just hope it doesn't get into the bind the Daytime Emmys are in.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

jwsel
#27NPH Trying To Get Play Performances Featured On The Tony Awards
Posted: 6/2/12 at 11:56pm

I've yet to see a scene from a play that didn't make me want to change the channel.

Except, of course, for this one, I hope!

1990 Tony Award Show: Tony Winner Dame Maggie Smith and Tony Winner Margaret Tyzack in the Tony-Nominated: LETTICE AND LOVAGE

I love that scene and still remember that moment from when I saw the play in London in 1989. However, it is the standout scene in the entire play and a major turning point at the end of Act 2. I would think that, to the audience, knowing that moment is coming would reduce the impact of it.

Generally, I find that the musical numbers can be extracted for a single performance without giving too much away. I don't think the same can be said for highlight scenes from a lot of plays.