Violet Previews

binau Profile Photo
binau
#75Violet Previews
Posted: 2/19/19 at 4:00am

I caught this show recently off-west in London and although I think it's deeply flawed (it starts off far too slow and is even a little, boring, at times) - that last 35 minutes or so from the moment Violet arrives to North Carolina to the curtain call is AMAZING....especially that Rose's Turn/Lot's Wife-type moment where in desperation Violet starts trying to call on god to heal herself, and then "Look At Me", which is so devastating. The role seemed PERFECT for Sutton Foster (cf. her often trying to play more 'glamorous' characters), and her incredible acting is coming across very well on the cast recording. Nice!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000